Cawait
Our beloved family pet Stanley died last night in his sleep. He was going to be 4 in September. He was healthy and showed no signs of illness. I had the vet perform an autopsy and she could not find a cause of death. She believes it was a blood clot.

We were on a family vacation and Stanley was at my moms. She found him dead in the morning. She is also devastated.

I feel like I have no closure. My grief is beyond words. I am having a hard time helping my 9 year old with his grief. My husband is trying to help, but dealing with his own heartbreak.

Why did this happen? I can't imagine ever moving on from this horrible loss and crushing grief. Stanley was everything to our family. We always called him the perfect dog, as he was.

How do I go on?

Cheryl
Quote 0 0
heartsick

I am so very sorry for the loss of your  sweet precious Stanley.

Grief is awful and there is nothing else like this pain.

I am divorced - when I was married I buried my son- at that time I became a Certified Grief Counselor- I used the same graveside service for my Bear as I did for my son.

Please know that when we lose someone we love we don't stop loving them -

LOVE NEVER DIES.

The soul bound connection that is between our babies and ourselves is forever.

Nothing - not death- tears -grief - or sadness will ever break the ties between us for those ties are made

of LOVE so strong that NOTHING will ever sever those connections.

LOVE NEVER DIES.

When we grieve for those we love it is because we do not quite know how to live without them. We breathe because we have no choice but the living part takes a huge amount of learning and time.

There are two books good for children - THE FOREVER DOG - and PAWPRINTS IN THE SKY- your son is the correct age for these books.

We ALL "what if" ourselves. He could have had a clot or aneurism that he was born with - no way to know. The most important thing is that Stanley had LOVE and He LOVES YOU AS YOU LOVE HIM- Forever and Always!

Grief is not something we get over but something that we learn -slowly- over time- to incorporate into our lives until it becomes a part of us like our bones and our breath.

Please know that we all understand here and we are all here for you.

We are all in this together and all walking the same roller coaster path of grief together -

some a bit ahead of you, some by your side, and some will come behind for you to help along.

You Are In My Thoughts.                                      

Susan(heartsick)

Quote 0 0
smkovalinsky
Oh,  how awful for you.  A sudden death like that adds to the grief,  and I am so sorry for you,  and for your family.

With a blood clot,  this is sometimes something that has been there since birth,  and there is no way of telling until sudden death.  Its not fair, and it is just terrible,  but it does happen.  A friend of mine had this happen with a dog who was only about 2,  and it was the same veterinary conclusion.

Please keep posting here;  I am grieving my own dog and have found it immensely helpful.  It may help you deal with your child's grief,  as well.

Again,  I am so sorry about the loss of your dear Stanley.
You are in my thoughts and I am here if you need to talk. 
Susan

Quote 0 0
maddy79
I am so sorry for your loos! Loosing a fur baby is worst as it is, but when it happens to someone so young and it is unexpected... feels so unfair...
I also have a human baby, although much younger than yours, and what I found a little helpful is to somehow make him/her open up. If he doesn't want to talk about it, maybe create an environment where he feels comfortable in (maybe playing his favourite game or something like that), be very patient and hopefully he'll start talking by himself.
Quote 0 0
Scottdadtothehoney
The suddenness is so hard. The worst. I know how you feel, and I'm not just saying that. 

My late partner also died suddenly of a blood clot. 

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
Scott G
Quote 0 0