Spennys_Mom
This morning, as I am waiting for Spenny's urn to arrive, I am having a rough day. My daughter and I have decided to have our own memorial service tomorrow. We are going to each write a letter to Spenny and also find a poem or quote that reminds us of him. We will read them, say a prayer and put them in his urn with his ashes. I think he deserves a fitting tribute. In that spirit, I thought we could each share our happiest memory of our lost friend.

Mine is from just before Spenny got sick. He has an Angry Birds squeaky toy. We would throw it, he would rumble into the next room, bring it back and drop it at our feet, eyes bright and happy, wanting to do it over and over. After a few times, he would pretend he couldn't find it. I would crawl on all fours under the dining room table or whatever piece of furniture it had ended up under. He would swoop in at the last second, snatched it up and take off. You could feel the laughter coming off of him. It's such a simple game, but it makes me smile through the tears. If any of you are feeling up to it today, I would love to hear some of your favorite memories.
Spenny's Mom
Quote 0 0
amanda
What a beautiful, funny memory Spenny's Mom. Cheeky soul he is!

My memory is from some time ago when our girl Ella was still with us. She was a very clever Kelpi x and Ruben's beloved friend. Ruben was a lovely sloth; as a puppy we called him the Velvet Slug because he could nestle and sleep anywhere. If he was taking too much room on the couch, which was most of the time, and Ella couldn't fit, she would jump up and race to the front door as though someone had knocked. Poor Ruben would jump of the couch to greet the phantom guest while Ella u-turned and ran back to the couch winning herself a comfy place to snooze. Poor Rubes fell for it every time but such was his nature. He thought the best of everyone and never assumed that his own friend would take advantage of him. Poor loving dope. 

Thank you for the opportunity to share something shiny and bright. x
Quote 0 0
Bearloyal
Those are wonderful memories and they make me laugh just thinking about them.  I remember doing something similar with Bear having to look for her toys. She would play with them with so much excitement that they would sometimes go underneath the couch or the wine rack and she would need me to get them out. 
Amanda, I absolutely love your story about Ella tricking Ruben to jump off the couch so that she could get back on, it cracked me up!
My fondest memory of Bear was when I went to the lake with her when she was still pretty young, like maybe 15 months old.  My grandmother was dieing and it was my last time to see her alive.  My dog had met another dog named Hairy and they were running wildly at the speed of lightning all over the land, through the trees, the garden, the sand, the embankment of the lake and eventually jumping into the lake in the middle of FEBRUARY! LOL.  Those two were so silly.  Those were the days before she became aggressive towards other dogs.  
Overall, what I seem to remember about her the most recently, is her role in our hide and seek ventures with my daughter in our new apartment.  My daughter loves hide and seek and I would take the time out of studying to play with her and Bear loved me so much that she would follow me everywhere I went.  All my daughter had to do was say "Honey" where is mom and Bear would bring her straight to me. LOL. When it was my turn to find my daughter Bear was useless!  She wouldn't tell me anything and I would actually have to work at finding her.  She had such a good spirit and she was so bright. 
She knew all the tricks, obeyed my every command and had an amazing intuition and ability to be the biggest warmest pillow in the room.  She also got to where she slept in the middle of my bed every evening and I would wake up in the middle of the night with one leg hanging off and the other holding on by a thred. LOL.  And I didn't have the heart to move her so I would go back to sleep like that.  The things we do for the ones we love.   
Casey
Quote 0 0
Spennys_Mom
Bearloyal and Amanda, your stories made me smile and laugh this morning. Thank you for a nice start to my day. Today would have been my niece's birthday. It is normally a difficult day, but losing Spenny just 6 days ago.... I am trying to comfort myself by thinking that I sent her the best birthday present ever. I know she will love him. I did think of another funny Spenny story. The first night I got him, I was trying to get to sleep. My ex was snoring especially loudly, so I "bumped" him a few times with me elbow, trying to make him turn over. He finally said "Why are you doing that?" I told him he was keeping me awake snoring. I turned over to look at him. He was lying there reading. He said "I'm awake. The dig is the one snoring!" A 17 pound dog that snored as loud or louder than a full grown man! And he wasn't even in the room!
Spenny's Mom
Quote 0 0