myfloridakitty

Hi all! My little kitty (almost 3 yrs old) will be put down tomorrow morning and I have a question for you all. First of all let me tell you Zero's story. Almost 2 years ago we had our dog put to sleep and about a week later this stray cat showed up at our door. Being the animal lover that i am, I fed him and needless to say, he never went away. Had to have him neutered and shots. Then, about a year later we found out he had feline luekemia, he then became an indoor cat. Now we find out the poor little guy has a huge tumor pressing on his heart. The little kitty has a hard time breathing and the vet said to put him down.  My question to anyone out there, should I bring him home and bury him in my backyard? This is my first cat, my previous pets were big dogs and we had them cremated. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote 0 0
AliciaTX
I'm certainly no expert, but I chose to bury my HUGE dog (about 150 lbs or so) in my yard so that I can plant a flowerbed with a rose bush where she is buried, in the spring.  My husband and I have a laser engraving business and I intend to make a granite memorial with her picture and the Rainbow Bridge poem and her dates of birth and death to be placed in the garden so I will have a beautiful and peaceful place to go and sit and think of her.  It's really up to you how you choose to handle it...whatever makes you feel the most comfortable is what I think you should do.  It's possible some people wouldn't want the constant reminder or a memorial garden might not be for you...  My thoughts and prayers are with you tho, I know it is a hard thing to do...I've been there :(
Quote 0 0
Ponchosmommie
I am so sorry about Zero. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. It's so hard to lose our babies. All of mine are cremated; that way, they are with me forever. I own my home, but in years to come, if I sell and move, my babies come with me!
Quote 0 0
judylinn
I'm so sorry about your Zero.
Some people have trouble looking at the gravesite, and like ponchosmommie said, you have the ashes with you wherever you may go. I planted a beautiful cherry blossom tree for Maddie, and I have her ashes.
Do what your own intuition tells you. You know what would be the best for you.
I like having Maddie's ashes close to me.
I'm sorry for your difficult time. I know how much it hurts. Judy
Quote 0 0
myfloridakitty

Thanks Judy, for your support. I still am not sure what I am going to do yet, but I appreciate everyones help and prayers. I am sure I will make the right decision, I just don't know what it is right now. Thanks again. 

Quote 0 0
myfloridakitty

@Ponchosmommie, I know what u mean about maybe someday moving and being able to take the ashes with you.@AliciaTX, I kinda like the idea of the backyard memorial, I even went to home depot today and bought a shrub and some flowers for the site I picked out in the backyard. Not quite sure what I will do, but thank you all for the kind words and support.

Quote 0 0
judylinn

please keep in touch and tell us how your doing. my thoughts and prayers will be with you. Judy

Quote 0 0
nicokudo
Zero's mom,

I'm so sorry that you have to say good-bye to your precious boy.     A thought would be to have him cremated and then you can do as you choose.  Keep him close for awhile, bury him later...it leaves all of your options open.  I personally like the choice of cremation...they are forever close until I decide what to do.

Karen
Karen,Kudo and Nico's mom
Earth mom to Marco and Bella
Quote 0 0
Meghanm
Hi there, I am really sorry to hear of the loss of your cat. It sounds like you made the decision that was right for you (regarding creamation). What a difficult decision you had to make though. It sounds like if he was having a hard time breathing, his quality of life just couldn't be the same as it once was. I am thinking of you during this extremely heartbreaking time. Please know you are not alone and the people on this board are thinking of you.
Meghan

"If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever." ~ The Crow

"We don't "get over" our losses and just move on, we learn to live differently."
~ http://www.angelbluemist.com/frames/guilt.html
Quote 0 0
myfloridakitty

I just wanted to let everyone know that I received Zero's ashes today, and now that I have them here I know I made the right decision to have him cremated. He is back home now. @nicokudo, by the way, I am Zero's dad.

Quote 0 0
angelfish1952

Just another post - my baby has been missing over a year now, and I still miss him SOOOOOOOOOOO much!  I love you baby boy!!!!

Quote 0 0
angelfish1952

I am so sorry about Zero.... I am sure that his short life was very happy - I have had to have two babies put down, and one was not even 4, he had cancer and I lost him within 2 weeks of the diagnosis.  I was not able to have him cremated, but I did take him home and bury him in the yard, I could never leave a baby with the vet to be "disposed".  You will always have Zero with you, no matter what!

Quote 0 0
myfloridakitty
judylinn wrote:

please keep in touch and tell us how your doing. my thoughts and prayers will be with you. Judy

tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I lost my cat, miss him very much, but glad I had him cremated because I still feel like he is here.  Gregg
Quote 0 0
Meghanm
Hi Gregg, I am sending you my thoughts and prayers. Zero is still with you in spirit.
Meghan

"If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever." ~ The Crow

"We don't "get over" our losses and just move on, we learn to live differently."
~ http://www.angelbluemist.com/frames/guilt.html
Quote 0 0