charlesmom
I lost my beautiful dog Charles on Feb 8th.  He was only 6 1/2 years old.  He was my child.  I loved him more than words can say.  He had an amazing and generous spirit and was loved by all who met him.  In his short life he faced so many challenges.  

I adopted him when he was just 16 weeks old.  He had Parvovirus and his owners at that time could not afford treatment.  I adopted him and treated his Parvo and he thrived.  When he was 2 years old he escaped from my dog-sitters fence and was hit by a car.  He was lucky to survive.  He broke his pelvis in a few places and one back leg.  He had surgery to repair these injuries and spent nearly 2 weeks in the hospital.  He ended up with nerve damage to the leg that was not broken and could not use it.  It took him a few weeks to be able to walk on his one functional back leg at all and longer to walk without help.  He went through months of PT.   The leg with nerve damage never improved.  Eventually he had more surgeries on that leg in hopes that something would help.  There was no improvement.  In May of 2017 he had the leg amputated.  He recovered like a trooper and was walking immediately.  Even with so many surgeries and challenges he was always a happy and loving boy.  

He started acting slightly sick on Saturday February 3rd.  On Tuesday he was diagnosed with cancer in his spleen and liver.  On Wednesday he saw the oncologist.  He had such an aggressive form of cancer that there was no treatment that would help him.  His condition from Tuesday to Wednesday had worsened so much it was shocking.  In less than a week he went from a normal dog to a dying dog.  I had him euthanized on Thursday.  

I am still in shock.  He was too young and had so much joy and zest for life.  I never thought he would leave me so young.  I am surrounded by all of his things.  I love him so much.  I have no human children and he was the focus of my world.  
robin 
Quote 0 0
RileysMom
Robin, I’m so sorry for you and Charles. It sounds like he was an incredible dog who overcame much adversity. Cancer is an ugly, awful disease. It’s just horrible how it rips our loved ones from us. I’m sorry there was not a lot of time from when he was diagnosed to prepare yourself or to even feel like there was a chance to fight it.

Our dogs are very much our families, I think especially so when we don’t have a lot of other people in our lives. It is a very shocking thing when we lose them so young. I’m glad he was able to be in your loving care all these years, it sounds like he had a great mom.

Please hang in there and know that everyone here understands what you’re feeling and going through.
Val
—Loving Riley, Rosy & Axl always 🐾

Quote 0 0
Sueny6
My heartfelt condolences for your loss. Charles sounds like an amazing dog who thrived under your loving care. I'm so sorry that this last illness took him from you so quickly.

These first days without our beloved friends are the worst. I found this forum last Wednesday when I had to say goodbye to my sweet dog. It has helped me to know that there are people here who understand this awful loss and are here to help us through this time.

You and Charles are in my prayers.
Quote 0 0
1967Pinecone
So sorry about Charles. He was a very, very lucky dog - how many puppies survive parvo and being hit by a car? - but he was even luckier to have you to help him through everything. And you gave him a wonderful gift by letting him go. I lost a cat to cancer several years ago. Nothing could be done for him. And he was only 5. 

This forum really does help. Especially when every one around you says "it was just a dog. Get over it." We don't have kids either and we love our pets as if they were human children also. 
"Some of you say, "Joy is greater than sorrow" and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater." But I say unto you, they are inseparable. Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed." Khalil Gibran
Quote 0 0
Rosanne777
Dear Robin  I am so so sorry that you
have lost your beloved Dog.

Wishing I could say more to
bring you some comfort out
of your grief.

Quote 0 0