KathyBlack
Tonight, I said goodbye.to my best friend of 3 years. Chester was a rescued dog that had many medical issues. First he had a liver shunt, then surgery for stomach issues. We had a good 1 1/2 years and then a bacterial infection that he just could not beat. He was a trooper and fought so hard to live, but when I saw the sadness in his eyes I knew it was time to let go. My heart is breaking, he was only 3 years old! His was the best dog I have ever had. It's just so unfair!
Quote 0 0
AllysMom
Kathy,

I am so sorry for your loss.  I understand what you are going through and know how difficult it is.  I lost my Ally 8 weeks ago and it's still so hard.  She was also a rescue and battled many illnesses her last year.  She was about 13 when she passed, but I only had her for five years and that just wasn't long enough.   I found her as a stray on April 20, 2008.  She was a trooper too through all of her illnesses and beat every one until the last one which turned out to be lung cancer.  You did the kindest and most loving thing you could letting Chester go when it was time.   I agree, it is so unfair that we have to lose these precious little souls who mean so much to us.

I know tonight and the coming days are going to be very difficult for you.  I will keep you in the thoughts and prayers.  Hugs.

Ally's Mom - Karen
Quote 0 0
Lety
Sorry for the loss of your furry baby,  mine was only 4 years old, I know exactly how you feel, why they lived such a short life? Why? i miss mine lots!!

Prayers for you and your Baby!

Lety
Quote 0 0
dian
You are right, it is so unfair. It is so hard to find reason out of all of this. But God chose you to take care of Chester because he knew you you would love him with all your heart. I am sorry for your pain. I Know it all to well. You will find alot of support here
Quote 0 0
Gertie
KathyBlack wrote:
Tonight, I said goodbye.to my best friend of 3 years. Chester was a rescued dog that had many medical issues. First he had a liver shunt, then surgery for stomach issues. We had a good 1 1/2 years and then a bacterial infection that he just could not beat. He was a trooper and fought so hard to live, but when I saw the sadness in his eyes I knew it was time to let go. My heart is breaking, he was only 3 years old! His was the best dog I have ever had. It's just so unfair!
Quote 0 0
Gertie

Kathy,

Your little Chester is at peace now, yes he was far too young. Please know everyone here knows how you feel.
Chester is free of pain, playing and having fun. My little Duncan had health issues all of his 9 years, I put him to sleep July 3rd.
I miss him so much, but I did what was best for him. Your pain will ease a little in time, I don't think it ever goes away.
I am thinking of you,

Duncan's Mom

Quote 0 0
heartsick

I am so very sorry for the loss of your  sweet precious baby Chester.

Grief is awful and there is nothing else like this pain.

I am divorced - when I was married I buried my son- at that time I became a Certified Grief Counselor- I used the same graveside service for my Bear as I did for my son.

Please know that when we lose someone we love we don't stop loving them -

LOVE NEVER DIES.

The soul bound connection that is between our babies and ourselves is forever.

Nothing - not death- tears -grief - or sadness will ever break the ties between us for those ties are made of LOVE so strong that NOTHING will ever sever those connections.

LOVE NEVER DIES.

When we grieve for those we love it is because we do not quite know how to live without them. We breathe because we have no choice but the living part takes a huge amount of learning and time.

Grief is not something we get over but something that we learn -slowly- over time- to incorporate into our lives until it becomes a part of us like our bones and our breath.

Please know that we all understand here and we are all here for you.

We are all in this together and all walking the same roller coaster path of grief together -

some a bit ahead of you, some by your side, and some will come behind for you to help along.

Grief takes time. It usually takes the whole first year of “firsts” without them to take a true deep breath again. Be kind to yourself. None of this is easy.

I am here for you.

We are all here for you and we care about you and we understand.

You Are In My Thoughts.                                      

Susan(heartsick)

Quote 0 0
KathyBlack
Thank you everyone for your insight and thoughtful comments. Chester isn't the first animal I have lost, but his death has been the most painful. I truly believe he was my dog soul mate. I know that sounds silly but we had such a connection with each other.
Quote 0 0
heartsick
It doesn't sound silly at all. I KNOW that my Bear and I are soul mates - he will
always be my little puppy soul mate!

[image]

bmp DOG- a special dog comes into your life.bmp    
Quote 0 0
brknhrtd
I am so sorry for your loss and pain.   Chester is at peace now and hopes you too will find it. 
Quote 0 0
Vivian_M1
Kathy- I am so sorry for your lose. I can totally relate. It has been almost 2 months since we lost our Stella who was also a rescue. She was believed to be about 3 or 4 when we adopted her and she was only with us for  about 1 year and 2 months.  She came to us with Lymes disease which we treated. She was also severely underweight for her size.  In the time we had her she flourished and gained about 15lbs. She was doing so well with us. Unfortunately it was cancer that took her very quickly from us. She had emergency surgery that she never fully recovered from and went downhill fast. We made the decision to let her go one short week after the surgery. We later found out that it was a very aggressive cancer that was also mutating. Our poor girl never had a chance. I so know how you are feeling. She was so bonded to us in that short year. We too have lost dogs in the past but this happened so quickly and also the fact that she was so young was equally devastating.  I still cry very often and miss her so much.  Hugs to you. Please know you are not alone.  I don't know if and when our hearts will be ready for another dog but one thing is for certain they will never fill the hole left in our hearts from Stella's passing.   

Vivian
Vivian M.
Quote 0 0
bellasmum
Its awful when they are lost so young. I lost my cat, Bella 3 years ago when my neighbour accidently knocked her down while reversing his car. She was just 13 mths old. I volunteer at a rescue and just 3 mths laters, I brought home another cat, Loki. After just 20 months with us, Loki became ill. I spent well over a thousand English pounds trying to save him. It was no good, he had lymphoma, very aggressive. He was just 2 and a half years old. I lost them both within 2 years of each other and both were less than 3 year old. I console myself by telling myself they came to me for a reason. They were both destined for short lives and needed to fit all the love of a lifetime into those years. Same with you. X
Quote 0 0