Forum
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
joneightyfive

Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

My rottweiler left hind leg has an infected wound with some growth, that appears to look like a bad virus.
It started out with a small bump on her toe 3 months ago. Then it started to blister and we assumed it was because she rubbed her legs while scratching. Then the wound seemed to open up bigger exposing pinkish tissue, thinking it was bacteria infection vet gave some antibacterial external cream.

The growth doesn’t seem to stop there, probably because the wound is exposed to her licking it constantly hence it continues to become more infected.

Vet have given antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds. Have even performed a fine needle aspiration and the results does not show any cancer cells. May need to go further and perform biopsy tests.

Could anyone (or any medical practitioners here) advise if they ever seen this kind of condition on a pet before?

Pictures attached.

Attached Images
jpeg FB59E518-C1C2-49BB-976D-7643F9B1A53D.jpeg (327.68 KB, 4 views)

0
CK1991

Registered:
Posts: 549
Reply with quote  #2 
I’m sorry I haven’t seen this before and I am very sorry for what you and your dog are going through. I would strongly suggest getting a second opinion. I would ask around with friends or colleagues to find a great vet. Nothing against the vet you’ve had your dog to but sometimes a pair of fresh eyes... Good luck!
Wish you all the best and please come back and post an update.
CK
0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 692
Reply with quote  #3 

I do think a biopsy would be advisable at this time. As it would not be difficult to obtain. I am sorry for what your beloved and you are coping with.

She should wear a protective collar to keep her from licking that paw ASAP! Your Vet should have recommended that. My pet would not wear the plastic cone, so I went with a fabric, padded version and he was fine with it. I went through around 8 different versions from Petco and Chewy.com to find one that he was okay with. I highly recommend doing the same thing, as the plastic cone collar can be debilitating, regardless of what Vet's say.

And I would recommend communicating with the Rottweiler Community on-line. That would be your best bet in the event the breed has any history of this condition and someone may know a Vet or Animal Hospital in your area that has a good reputation. Many of them do not. And as CK advised, it is always good to obtain a second opinion: https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=IoJAXb2-H5C50PEP8KOIsAM&q=rottweiler+forum+community&oq=rottweiler+forum&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0l4j0i22i30l6.2282.4414..6869...0.0..0.279.1036.6j0j2......0....2j1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131.Qdx-mrqFNcE
0
joneightyfive

Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you all so much for the comments.

We will be sending her for an incisional biospy, where they will take out a small piece of sample tissue for the pathologist to analyse. If biospy is negative from cancer cells, which is what we all are praying for, the other option vet suggests is to remove the dead tissue on her paw, but this may introduce a huge open wound. With the nature of the paw not having much tissue cells, the Vet told me recovery will take ages. It will be an uncomfortable process for my baby as she requires intensive care for the open wound. Chances of the growth returning may be possible as well. Vet surgeon also suggested amputation as last resort, but that is something my family have concerns about and it’s not going to be an easy decision. It’s been hitting hard on me since.
0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 692
Reply with quote  #5 


FYI, a friend of mine is a professional dog breeder of Champions. Has been one for many decades. Her name is Robin. She told me her daughter had a rescued Greyhound with a foot injury and the daughter wanted to get it amputated and Robin advised her NOT to do so. To just allow it to walk with a limp. The daughter went ahead and the Greyhound passed away on the operating table from the anesthesia. It was only 2 years old.

As you may know, surgeries are tricky. My cat had a stroke when on the operating table when he was put under and I had to put him down.

I hope your pup gets better soon and pulls through with a complete recovery.

I am not trying to worry you. Just sharing that story and info above. 

Kind regards,
James
0
joneightyfive

Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #6 
Hi James,

Understand the complication of surgery. And I’m really sorry for your loss as well. I can imagine how you must have felt on that day, it’s painful and I feel you. Thank you for sharing. I love her dearly as well, and would try all available (safe) options just to help her.

My vet advice is to send her for a pre-anaesthetic blood test. Before any surgery is performed. To see if her current health state could cope with the surgery. Prior to that, she will also undergo xray scan, to determine if it is cancer, and if it has spread to other parts of her organs. If it is, then it’s palliative care onwards. Not sure if she can cope with chemo and radioactive treatments. Sad but I guess it’s about acceptance.

Regards


0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 692
Reply with quote  #7 


Thanks for your kind words. My boy survived the stroke. But he was maimed and then had other complications following another surgery. And I felt I had to end his pain and suffering.

We too had the anesthesia blood test, but had to move forward with the surgery at the time, as he was bleeding out from a Tom-Cat fight injury to his left ear, even he had a high liver count and might not have survived the surgery. The blood work was sent to an outside lab for an extra fee and did not show cancer, but that is not always reliable as you may know. We provided chemo to a pet with kidney issues, but it did not work. But I have read of examples where an appendage had a tumor and it was treated and worked. May be worth searching on this forum under "leg or arm tumor" etc.

God speed and God bless. Always.

All best,
James
0
joneightyfive

Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #8 
Hi James,

I just got of the vet clinic, did pre anaesthetia blood test and xray on her paws. Blood results everything was good except that her platelet count is very low, hence the vet told us to not proceed with any surgical removal for now as there may be excessive bleeding. Not sure if this is entirely true.

Xray on her paws shows that the growth did not affect the bones in her toes and seems to be normal. It’s just the growth as seen in the picture which seems aggressively infected.

In regards to removing the dead infected tissue on her paws, the doctor feared there will not be much healthy tissue left if the surgery is performed, with the nature of the paw having very little tissue there might not be any left, plus the healing factor as well. Not sure if this is true.

The Doctor gave me options, one of it being palliative care for now to treat the infected paw with stronger antibiotics and antibacterial powder to try and heal the wound as first step measure. My only concern now is how long can I wait..
0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 692
Reply with quote  #9 


Hmm.

Are you going to go for a 2nd opinion? The good thing is you can email photos first to Vet's and Animal Hospitals first and try and see what their input is. They may want to see your pup in person first, but you can inform them of what your Doctor just said and see if they at least confer.

What about the padded protective collar to stop her from licking it? And is there a protective shoe-like pad she can wear on her foot perhaps?

Godspeed and God bless. I hope your pup feels better and heals-up as best she can. 

All best,
James
0
joneightyfive

Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #10 
Well.. the thing is we’ve consulted three (3) different surgeon Doctors (not surgeon specialist though) from the same hospital and all gave the same prognosis of her paw. Surgical removal can be performed by removing all dead tissue but chances of the growth being infected again is likely to happen again.. hence their suggested “best” and cleanest option is to remove the whole paw. I have vet Friend who also suggested palliative care since my dog is past her senior age, as she may not cope with the surgery and post recovery. Her blood platelet count is low as well, surgery not suggested at this point. Doc can try get rid of the infection first, boosted with tripple antibiotic today, let’s see how it goes. As painful as it sounds, I just hope it will all turn alright..

Best regards
Jonathan
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.