Forum

Author   Comment  
Helbel

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

I apologise cos it's a long one......

I found this site today and I hope that it's going to help me come to terms with the loss of my baby. 

His name is Arch, or Sir Arch and he is the love of my life.  We met 7 years ago when Mom and I went to a cat rescue centre.  He was part of a group of 3 cats who we brought home with us.  The first time I saw him, he was in an outside pen.  He jumped down and started heading towards the door so the lady who ran the centre told me I could pick him up if I wanted.  I did and we looked into eachothers eyes and we just knew we were meant to be together.  I passed him to Mom and he didn't glance at her, he just kept looking at me - it was like fate.

Arch, Belle and Floss came to live with Mom and I.  I moved out 3 years ago and Mom decided that it was better to keep the three of them together although Arch had always been my cat.  Two weeks after I left, she called me telling me to come and get him as he'd made it pretty clear that he wanted to be with me, he'd start fights with the girls, growl at Mom and bite her on occasion.  My boy moved in with me and everything was amazing again, we were so happy.

Last week, he seemed a bit unsteady on his feet and he'd developed a cough.  My fiancee and I took him to the vets on Thursday morning and the vet was concerned about his kidneys and the fact that his heart murmur had got louder.  She ran a blood test and called me about 20 mins later at home to tell me that she needed a urine sample that day.  We took it in later on and were told that someone would call us the next day.  Arch seemed ok in himself but his breathing had become strange, he was either breathing so deeply that he was shaking or he was breathing really shallow and it quickened everytime he moved.  I called the vets first thing Friday morning and spoke to the vet who had seen him the day before.  She said that he had kidney failure but that it could probably be helped with a special diet - I explained about his breathing and she said that I should bring him in for an xray. 

They called me at 12.30pm to tell me that it wasn't good news and that he was a very poorly boy, he had kidney failure and heart failure and there was fluid in his chest which was making it hard for him to breathe.  She said that they could drain it to make him more comfortable but there was nothing else that they could do for him.  I gave the go ahead and they started to operate.

We went down that afternoon, knowing that the kindest thing to do would be to put him to sleep, they brought him through and he was on a drip, my poor baby looked so ill.....  I held him as he left us and it was ok cos I knew that I was doing the right thing for him. 

I always knew that I would be devastated when I lost him but I never knew what true devastation would feel like.  I'm absolutely heartbroken, it's been 4 days now and we picked up his ashes today.  They are in the living room and I can't sit in there cos he shouldn't be in a box, he should be lying on the sofa or yelling at one of us to give him some ham....

I am almost constantly in tears at home, work gives me something to take my mind off the grief a bit but I'm a mess.

I'm really hoping that I can find some kind of comfort with you all as we are going through the same thing. 

Hel

Attached Images
jpeg Arch_sticking_his_tongue_out.jpg (119.43 KB, 11 views)
jpeg arch.jpg (66.71 KB, 10 views)

MelissaB

Reply with quote  #2 
I am so sorry to hear about your Arch.  It's been one week since I had to end the suffering of my sweet Bubbie.  He had been by my side for 15 years.  He had been diabetic for almost 5 years and his kidneys had been failing for the last 2.  The last few weeks he just got weaker and weaker and he developed a blot clot in his legs last Tuesday morning and I knew I had to let him go.  His ashes are above the fireplace where I can see him.  It was hard when I first brought him home, but now I need to see pictures of him so that I can feel like he is still here.  I hate that your Arch was taken from you so suddenly, but you were spared having to see him suffer.  Kidney disease is a horrible thing to watch happen to you baby.  Looking at his pictures, you picked a perfect name for him!  He looks so regal!  This forum has been a santuary for me during this time.  It helps so much to just be able to talk about your lost fur baby.  The people on here are so compassionate and understanding.  It's really cathartic.  I wish you the best and hope that you find peace and can began to heal. 
Barbara13

Reply with quote  #3 
I am really sorry about your Sir Arch.. My head is still reeling from losing my BC cat 2 days ago..and I just found this site yesterday..This is the place to come to though.. It does help..
Helbel

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you for your kind words and I'm so very sorry to hear about Bubbie and BC.  I feel like my world has collapsed in on me, I can't believe he's gone...

I was hoping that I would wake up today and feel a little better as I have the other mornings but that's not happened and I'm scared that this is it now, that I'll feel this way forever.  I miss you so much boy xxxx

Reply with quote  #5 
It seems as if I will feel the way I do forever, too..But I know that it will get better. I think if it got better quicker, we would feel guilty about it..
marnlars

Reply with quote  #6 
My heartfelt condolences and prayers being sent to you.  I lost my dear Jimmy-cat on Fri (june 11), and I do HONESTLY know what you are feeling.  So many questions, guilt, angst, anger, and extreme emptyness and sadness.  I honestly am hating everyday without him.  I pick him up on Friday from the vet (cremation).  It is like a piece of my soul has been ripped out.  I do feel your pain.  Go to the chat room.  It does help.  Talk it out.  Talk ALOT.  It helps too.  Take care & find an ounce of peace knowing that you saved him, you loved him, and he knows how much you cared...   
Helbel

Reply with quote  #7 

Thank you so much for your kind words and marnlars, I'm so sorry about Jimmy.  I felt a bit better today but I've come home and been absolutely consumed by guiilt because of it.  I've never known emptyness like this.  I want to go and read the other threads but I can't face it at the moment, again that makes me feel guilty as I can't lend my support to others in the same situation as me.  Hopefully that'll be something I can do soon.  My broken heart goes out to you all xx

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.