Forum

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Tinkerbells_Man

Reply with quote  #1 
Cat Protection type people swear that it has no negative effect on a Female's development if they're Neutered before a first litter and there are of course all the Pro's we can read and hear about.

[9esbb-77] 

Notwithstanding this, if I ever get a young cat again, in the distant future, and as long as I can physically cope, I will insist that I let her have a first litter. I know from experience it can get pretty daunting with 3 or 4 kits knocking about the house to say the least but I'm not satisfied that neutering females so young is the ethical thing to do. I also have come to see there's an over-healthy Zeal in the world for "Population Control" of every living thing; apart from Pandas. It translates to 'Population Reduction' actually. I am very worried by these trends.

Like any normal country-person, Tinkerbell's unspoken Motto must have been something like: 'Live-Slowly, Die-Quickly'

The 'Web' has become an intel-garnering, AI-controlled nexus, speculating on Government & Civilian responses to projected &/or hypothetical crises.
From a 'global Serf's' standpoint, 'The Net' is Highly Insecure, Weak and Archaic.
It needs to be supplanted. Meanwhile consider Secure Browsing and IP anonymizers.
Sunnycat

Reply with quote  #2 
First of all, I agree with you that many cats and dogs are neutered too young. It's more noticeable in male dogs that are neutered before they hit puberty and don't lift their legs to urinate.

Personally, I would wait allow a female cat to go through one estrus cycle before I had her spayed, but I wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with a litter of kittens and worrying about finding homes for them. But I am single and I have to go to work 5 days a week. If you have the time and resources, watching your cat give birth and care for kittens may be very rewarding for you.

Reply with quote  #3 
Why have a first litter?  There are too many kittens in the world, not to mention that there are an overabundance of them in all of the animal shelters.  It is so much better to advocate adoption of a kitty or cat, especially an older cat. 
Mary_Jane

Reply with quote  #4 
I agonised over this one when I first had my 2 female kittens. I would have liked in a way, to have let them have a litter each, but the reality was that I was working full time shift work and I knew I wouldn't be able to cope with rehoming potentially 18 kittens! I could not allow them to have kittens in the knowledge the kittens would just end up at a shelter. If I could have rehomed them myself, I may have gone with it and allowed a litter each. 

Having said that, I believe there are reasons as to why vets recommend neutering before having kittens. The risks of certain cancers (e.g. mammary cancers) are reduced. They also tend not to wander as much or as far if they have been neutered.

Reply with quote  #5 
It is so true that spaying females before their first 'heat' will protect them from mammary cancer. This applies to cats, and dogs. I think it's a 95% protection (or some figure like that) The hormones are good for them in some ways, but very bad for them in other ways. And mammary cancer is very very common as they grow older. If it's discovered before it has spread, most often surgery (breast strip) will completely cure it though. But that is a big operation, and won't be done if the cat has other health issues that make surgery dangerous.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Mistysmama

Reply with quote  #6 
But to answer you Tinkerbell's Man,
I felt the same way about my dog. When she first came to me she was 4, unspayed, healthy, energetic. She'd had one lot of pups (they all died as the previous 'owners' couldn't be bothered to give them all their inoculations) It was a sad event. I always wanted Misty to have pups again in happier circumstances, so didn't get her spayed. No 'mate' came along for her...(didn't want her to breed with a large dog as there could be birth difficulties) -so years went past with her still entire and no pups. Then I didn't want to put her through the surgery....so we continued happily. But she got Pyometra (think cats can get that too...?) and had to have her womb removed age 13.
Then the last 6 months of her life she did get breast cancer. It was cured by surgery, and she was fine after the op.

I also got the feeling that we are thwarting Nature's ways to have all these animals de-sexed before they have even gone through puberty. I hated the idea, to be honest.
But yes -there are health risks to them being entire (mind you, there are health risks in everything, all the time....)

Catladykaren

Reply with quote  #7 
Pyometra is so often learned about after it kills. Sad that spaying would prevent it so easily. I see no need to allow a cat to have a litter before spaying. Not in the current state of overpopulated shelters that euthanize animals the same day they come in. My local Humane Society once received 73 animals a day and euthanized 46 animals each day. Of the thousands put down, most were healthy cats and kittens. I watched a video on youtube showing vet staff euthanizing one after another. They don't even try to comfort the cats, just stab them in the heart with the lethal injection. It made me cry with anger.
Spay and neuter.

Reply with quote  #8 

Reply with quote  #9 

Reply with quote  #10 
It's so sad watching those videos, as well as infuriating. Knowing the pain we have all endured, to see those healthy animals just being slaughtered makes me sick to my stomach. We are fortunate in the UK that our shelters don't tend to euthanize due to overcrowding. My local shelter does not euthanize any healthy animal and rehomes 95%, but with so many kittens and cats needing homes out there, I also don't see a need to allow cats to have a litter. I would have loved my girls to have kittens but I don't regret having them spayed. I couldn't have lived with myself sending kittens to a shelter, even for rehoming

Reply with quote  #11 
Catladykaren, the problem is truly heartbreaking and horrendous. I could not even finish watching the first video.
Those animals are in those death camps because of a lack of love. Someone dumped them there. Some human did not want to take responsibility for them. Those poor dear innocent Souls.

jj

Reply with quote  #12 
its humans that need to be neutered. regardless of race, class, gender or religious orientation, All humans need to be neutered. We are breeding like fleas and ticks and poor animals and all of Sacred Earth are the ones that have to pay the horrible price for us breeding out of control. Anyone know a good vasectomy clinic?
BSmith1199

Reply with quote  #13 
There are some cats ill-equipped to be mothers.  Our recently departed cat was one of them.  She was abandoned by her mother and never had any sense of 'nurturing'.  I wish she could have had a litter.  She was a beautiful cat and having another small version of her running around, would have been wonderful.

She was a loner.  She barely tolerated us being around her.  Well,...that might be an exaggeration.

You only think you are training them.  When they are gone, you finally get it.
ssula

Reply with quote  #14 
There are too many kittens in the world, not to mention that there are an overabundance of them in all of the animal shelters.  It is so much better to advocate adoption of a kitty or cat, especially an older cat.

Reply with quote  #15 
I was super tempted to breed the girl, but I had already done that to get her, so felt it would have been selfish.  Found good home for the other 3 and couldn't believe no on adopted her, so I kept her and her brother, her for 16 years and him 17 1/2.   She was only a calico by default as she had no black, (orange,dark orange and white) and thought we could try for a male calico. but recently heard they are impossible due to some genetic reason. 

couch bu and sis.jpg

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.