danzey
Her name was Mia.  She didn't belong to anyone, but she still deserved a name; so to me (at least) she was Mia.  She was a stray I looked after, along with her daughter Maggie.  Over the years I fed them, got them spayed, and kept the garage open (just a bit) so they would have somewhere to go that was dry and warm.  When I took in my cousin's dog (Blacky) he and Maggie became fast friends, Mia on the other hand would always try and swat Blacky when he got too close.  When Blacky got older and had trouble walking (among other things) I still would take him out for short walks.  We would go out early in the morning (still dark).  We would walk out to the end of the driveway, I'd look to my left' and Mia would be sitting at the end of my neighbors driveway waiting for us.  She'd run up, and the three of us would walk up the block, and then down the block.  Once we got back I'd put Blacky back inside and then I'd feed Mia.  Ok; my head says she did it because she knew she'd get fed, but my heart says she did it just to be nice.  Once when I was by myself (again early in the morning), I ran into Mia about a block away sitting under a tree.  I thought maybe she had gotten herself lost, so I called her and we walked back together (she was clever that way, she'd follow you).  Eventually Blacky passed away.  Sometime after that I was feeding Mia and I picked her up and noticed her fur was matted on her sides.  I put her on top of the trash can along with some food and started to comb/cut her mats out while she ate.  By the time I was done, she was BALD!!! on both sides!  She looked like she had a mow-hawk.  I was so embarrassed for her, so I tried to comb the fur on top down and hoped that would cover her bald sides.  It worked (sort of).  I set her down and told her she looked beautiful then sent her on her way.  I'm not sure, but I think Mia may have been my Boo's sister.  Boo, had some health issues, and I would take him outside (couldn't hurt).  If Mia was around, she'd hang out with us.  This past December (right before Christmas my Boo passed away.  I didn't go out into the back much after that (no point) except to feed Mia and Maggie.  I didn't mention this here, but in February I took Mia in.  I don't do things like that.  Besides, I had just lost Boo, and I still have Teddy-Jo, Cindy, and Kimmy (cats).  I just don't do things like that, and to make matter worst Mia had worms!  Anyway, I gave her a bath and Advantage.  At least now she was clean, on the other hand she wasn't all that happy about being inside now.  She would go sit by the door, like she wanted out.  The first two weeks in March, things changed.  She was spending more time under the bed, ate a little less, and looked a bit thinner.  I thought maybe she really hated being inside more then I realized.  On Saturday (March 15th) I let her out, knowing she'd be back for dinner; if not sooner.  She wasn't.  I checked outside for her until after Midnight expecting to see her.  Early Sunday afternoon she finally showed up.  I knew she'd really be hungry now.  She wasn't.  I made an appointment to take her to the vet (the next Saturday).  Monday morning she just wasn't herself.  Like a little rag doll.  Sometime during the night she had gotten out of the basket I put her in and walked to the living room.  I took her to the vet that morning (Monday).  She was so brave and so good.  I only had her about a month, so I didn't have that much time to show her she was loved, but she was; and is.  She was just a stray I looked after, but I miss her.  I wanted to pay her back for being nice to Blacky and Boo.  And I especially didn't want her to be alone.  She was just a stray, but she still deserved to be loved, and she was..........................danzey       
Quote 0 0
beezybaby
Oh its tender stories like that rips your heart out bless you for being such a kind human to our furry friends they truly need us
Quote 0 0
momofanAngel4ever
Sorry about your loss.  What did she suffer from?
Angel boy, my greatest love
Quote 0 0
Annski
What a beautiful story - she chose you to love and she knew you loved her back - wonderful - you should feel happy and proud that you gave her attention and affection and in the end saved her any further suffering - the best gift you could give her.

Please try to take comfort from all the lovely things you did for her - and her for you.

God bless,
A
Quote 0 0
Rudytoot
I am so glad that Mia found you.  She was such a lucky kitty.  Do you still have Maggie?  Mia had a good life with you and she did love you or she would not have walked along side of you.
I am sorry about what happened.
Suzanne
Quote 0 0
danzey
Maggie is still around.  She looks a bit raggedy, but she's still here.  She isn't as easy to get my hands on though, try and touch her and she runs.  Mia, I think is was just age???  I just wanted her to matter, If you exist, then you should at least matter, and she did.  Mia was black and white, long(ish) fur, and the thing about Mia's face; is that it was kinda round and so she had a young look to her.................................danzey
Quote 0 0
Shadowlab03
Danzey,

A beautiful story...Thank you.
Shadow's Mom

I will carry you in my heart forever.
Quote 0 0
danzey
Shadow's Mom..................Thank you, like I said I just want people to know that she mattered.  After Mia passed away, two days later (on a whim) I emailed the place that would be cremating her.  I explained Mia's situation (about being a stray) and asked if they would treat her "just a little extra special".  I'm not even sure what I meant by that.  They emailed back saying that they would.  The next week when I went to bring Mia home, with her was a paw print!!!.  At first the vet tech thought it didn't belong to "my Mia".  Actually neither did I???, but I explained about what I had done (emailing the place) and that maybe (just maybe), this was my Mia's paw print.  A second vet tech agreed that it probably was.  So, I now have this paw print that means so much, and I of course thanked the place for treating her "just a little extra special"...............................danzey
Quote 0 0
FrecklesMom
((((HUGS)))) You are a very sweet person. Thank you for being you. Mia knew you were "just a little extra special". :)
FrecklesMom

I will Love you forever sweet boy.
Quote 0 0
Dalidog
Your Boo is smiling at you for taking such good care of Mia.  That was such a beautiful story.  We change so much when our furangels leave us, they teach us so much about love and compassion and about what is really important in this world.  Thanks so much for the post on Dali's thread.  I feel she gave me a beautiful sign yesterday, all the butterflies...I am sure your Boo and Mia were two of them, along with all the animals on the forum that Dali knows I pray for.  The butterflies came out of nowhere and disappeared after a few minutes.  Such beauty and life renewal, just shows we just change forms, like a caterpillar and the butterfly.  They are still with us.  The compassion you show for Boo and Mia and Maggie is so wonderful and important...and yes, they all matter!  Hugs to you and Boo and Mia from me and my Dali

Dali, as much a daughter as any human...  pure love
Until we meet again

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/DALI003/Resident.htm

Quote 0 0
jonancy
What a heartwarming story, thank you for sharing. She may have been " just a stray", but she definitely mattered. Thanks for taking her in and loving her, you are an "extra special person"

Jonancy...Scooters mama
Quote 0 0
Bellamum
Hi Danzey,
People like you make this world a better place.  You can judge a lot about a person by the way they treat animals and you treated Mia like a queen, just like she deserved.  You are right....everyone and everything should matter.  Everyone should have at least 1 other being who cares for them and wants to acknowledge how important they are.  YOU were that person for Mia. 
You have brightened the lives of so many animals - Mia, Maggie, Boo, Blacky, Teddy-Jo, Cindy and Kimmy...like I said, people like you make this world a better place!
Karen
(Bella, Charli and Buddy's very lucky mum)

My gorgeous girl, Bella  26/07/2004 - 03/04/2014
"You were once by our side, but you will be forever in our hearts. Until we meet again baby girl."
Quote 0 0
Gertie

We Know You Are With Us. A Poem From You:

I Haven't Left At All

I saw you gently weeping as you looked through photographs
You paused for just a moment at one that made you laugh;
But as you turned more pages the tears began to flow
You whispered that you missed me but I want you to know;
I softly licked those stinging tears that down your cheeks did fall
I want to help you understand I haven't left at all.

On those days that you are overcome with sorrow, pain and grief
I rest my head upon your leg to offer some relief.
When you take our walking path I've seen you turn around
Because I know you surely heard my paws upon the ground.

At night while you are sleeping I snuggle at your side
You stroke my fur as you touch that place where I used to lie.
You said it's just your heart playing tricks upon your mind
But rest assured I'm really there, my spirit's left behind.

I know your heart is hurting; it's like an open sore
You think my life has ended and you won't see me anymore.
But for those of us bound tight by love, death is not the curtain call;
It's really the eternal beginning that waits for us all
So, dear Master as you live your life I patiently await
For us to be together when you pass through Heaven's gate.

Photograp

Rainbow Bridge was inspired by and is dedicated to FiFi

Visit the Human side of Rainbow Bridge - BelovedHearts.com

Pet Loss | P

Quote 0 0
danzey
I wish I was the person you all seem to think I am, (but thank you for thinking I am anyway)...........danzey
Quote 0 0