ShastaFarber

Today I lost my dear Shasta. I've had her since I was in the 1st grade. I've had so many memories with her and I can't believe she is gone. I am now 20 years old and I have a daughter, which I am so glad they got to meet. Shasta's death came as a complete shock. We took her to the vet because she was acting strange and we ended up putting her down while she was there. She declined so fast.... I just can't just the image out of my head of them wheeling her into the room to get the IV put in. I held her while they injected the meds, but the look in her eyes was just so sad. I don't know what to do......I feel so bad.....she is in my every thought. I know it only happened a few hours ago but I don't see this feeling going away.

Quote 0 0
Sir
Losing a family member is a hard thing. I had to put my Sir to sleep on Monday. I had no idea he was as bad as he was. The hurt is strong and the tears will fall. And that is ok. Grieve as long as you have to. And in a way that will help you but not harm you or anyone else. There is a book I am reading that is helping it is called "Saying Goodbye To Your Angel Animals" by Allen and Linda Anderson. It is helping some.  Did you have a private cremation? Tell us about Shasta. Remember the fun and happy memories. Ask Shasta to visit you sometimes. You will be surprised. It might be in dreams or you might see her when you least expect it. It happened to me last night. My Sir appeared beside my bed for a few seconds. When I said his name, he disappeared. At first I thought it might have been my other cat trying to get up on the bed. But she was sleeping outside my bedroom door. We are here for you. Vent, cry, get angry and ask questions.
Your daughter, you and Shasta are in my prayers.
Quote 0 0
judylinn
Im so sorry about Shasta. the loss is so hard to bear. It is still to fresh for you to hear it will get better. I didn't ever believe it would, at the beginning.
Animals accept death in a different way than humans, it may be the look in her eyes were thankfulness to you, that she didn't have to suffer any more.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how much agony the pain is.  my thoughts and prayers are with you.  Judy
Quote 0 0
ShastaFarber

Thank you for your support. I know things will eventually get better but I just feel so guilty. Shasta was a yellow lab, and she was the most energetic dog you will ever come across. Everyone I knew called her dogzilla when she was younger because she just tore everything up. A lot like the dog from the movie Marlee and me. As she got older she wanted to please everyone, she was honestly the best dog. I have soooo many great memories of her, all teh way from her pulling me on roller blades to crying on her shoulder when I had my heart broken for the first time. I wish I could bring her back, but dogs just don't live long enough.

Quote 0 0
Meghanm
I am sorry to hear about Shasta. I have a story similar to yours. We also got a dog named Buddy, a sweet yellow lab/husky mix, when I was 6 yrs old in the first grade. He too died my sophomore year of college when I was 19 years old. Over time (I am now 24) I remember the good times and funny things about being a child and teenager with such a funny and good tempered dog. I am thinking of you and your loss. You will never forget or replace Shasta but hopefully you can find some comfort.
Meghan

"If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever." ~ The Crow

"We don't "get over" our losses and just move on, we learn to live differently."
~ http://www.angelbluemist.com/frames/guilt.html
Quote 0 0
ShastaFarber

I can still feel her presence in my home. My basset Rupert is pretty upset about it. He won't go anywhere near her cage. I hope he isn't too lonley with her gone, but I think he can sense her too. Thank you to everyone who has posted on this. You really are helping me, and you and your lost loved ones are in my thoughts and prayers too.

Quote 0 0
Woodypatty
It has been my experience that our other furbabies morn the loss and Rupert may need you now more than ever. The first week is really hard for human and dog alike.Getting better is very slow as I am still on that path after a month but coming to this site is a help. I wish for you some peace in this day.                                 Patty
Quote 0 0