Apollo_the_great
We lost our dog Sunday after a struggle with seizures. If anyone could help me with my thoughts etc concerning seizures please do. I want to post a picture
William
Quote 0 0
ehloar

Hi William,

Our Serena was diagnosed with epilepsy in early 2014. I don't know much about the specifics, and I am by no means a veterinary expert; however, I know that our veterinarian told us that it was less worrisome for her to develop epilepsy, due to the fact that she had mild seizure-like episodes once in a blue moon throughout her life (maybe 3 times or so, prior to her diagnosis, usually years apart). Her seizures seemed to be brought on by extremely exciting or stressful situations (for her, at least) such as trips to the groomer, lots of company for her to visit with, etc. She was prescribed Phenobarbital, which kept her seizures under control - she only had one seizure "through" the medication, which was near the end of her life. I should note, however, it was a month or so after her diagnosis that we noticed a change in her bladder routine, which ended up being bladder cancer. Towards the end, she had uncontrollable shakes and had problems with one of her legs - to sum up, I am not 100% sure if the cancer had affected her spine or brain in some way, as well, which played a factor in the seizures/body movement.

Hopefully, this helps you somewhat. If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out to me, as I am sure I have forgotten some of the details. Praying that you find peace in these difficult days.

Elizabeth

Sidenote: to post a picture, when you are typing text in, there is a little button that has a picture of a tree (by the movie film and link icons), and by clicking on that you should be able to post pictures :) Hope this helps!

[fVv4TwH] 
Itty Bitty "Fat Cat" 
<3 1998 - 9.25.13
[OlggnSk] 
Serena <3 4.13.02 - 1.13.15

You can visit Serena's Rainbow Residency here
Quote 0 0
Apollo_the_great
Thanks for sharing. I've never felt like this in my life, I'm 61 and both my parents passed. But this dog,Apollo, a doberman was like my son. His seizures were caused by an injury to his skull when he was a puppy. He was 7. He was my sister's dog,but my dog(Onyx),were boyfriend and girlfriend. I don't know what I'm going to do when Onyx gets the call.
William
Quote 0 0
Apollo_the_great
My big beautiful boy Apollo R.I.P. 1 - 11 - 2015
William
Quote 0 0
loft2111
Sorry for your loss of Apollo.  I lost my Little Man on 10/1 and he too struggled with seizures.  The day he passed he had over 8 seizures and was unable to stand or walk.  He was estimated to be around 14 years old and had seizures from the moment we adopted him five years prior.  Many people had their opinions on what caused his seizures but at the end a brain tumor is what was suggested.  Head trauma can certainly cause seizures in dogs.  If a dog develops seizures later on in their life it's typically due to a cancer or a brain tumor.  Some dogs like humans just have epilepsy while others there is a hidden cause for their seizures.  If a seizures lasts more than 5 minutes or comes in clusters it can be deadly, the body temp can rise and cause brain damage and organs to start shutting down.  Little Man had a 106 fever the days leading up to him passing, nothing was helping with the seizures or body temp.  We tried every single thing, Valium, phenobarbital, homeopathy, nothing worked.  Hope this information helps, it's just my experience and I am not an expert but pretty knowledge in seizures since my LM struggled with them for five years.
Quote 0 0
Apollo_the_great
Apollo was bit in the head when he was a puppy and was hurt bad. He just turned 7, but it didn't get life threatening until last March. He had around 20 seizures before we could get him to a proper vet. After a 3 day stay there he came home and it took about a week before he seemed normal. He responded good with his medicine until Dec.11, then started having them again. The vet recommended putting him to sleep then. But when we went to do it, he stayed all night there. When we got him to take for a walk etc., he seemed so normal. They had him on this other med, and my sister insisted that we give the new medication a chance. It worked for a month. I'm so happy to have had that month. We just didn't seem to have any other options. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. I'll never see my big beautiful boy again. I know that this is something that happens all the time, just not to me. I'm sure you understand.
William
Quote 0 0
MonkeysMama
William,

I'm sorry I don't know more about seizures but I have written to you on my thread about Monkey (Pregnant and Heart broken). I hope you'll read it when you have the time.

With love,
Angelena
Monkey
April 1st, 2011 - June 7th, 2014
Rest in peace my sweet baby boy, I can't wait to see you again.
Quote 0 0
Apollo_the_great
I did read most of your thoughts. In a way I feel that your loss was so much more tragic than mine because it was so sudden and unexpected. This happened over a period of time, butyou still don't think losing them is going to happen. I think we pm each other
William
Quote 0 0
ilovediggy
Just 2 weeks ago I had to make the agonizing decision to put my 7 year old Puggle down due to epilepsy. For many years we were able to control it with a very high dose of Phenobarbitol and Potassium Bromide. In the last year of his life he had a few seizure clusters - clusters of 10+ very long seizures - his medication was no longer working. I had to decide to get him help and get him out of his last seizure cluster and then work with the Vet to put him on a 3rd medication - with only a  20-30% chance of that working or decide to put him to sleep. I chose to stop fighting the seizures for both he and I. I miss him so badly - these 2 weeks have been so hard. Did I make the right decision? I'm not sure. I just know I am feeling incredible sadness and guilt now that my boy is gone. 
kathy c
Quote 0 0
paio77
There is nothing worse than watching your puppy go through that... I honestly think you tried as much as possible and chose the best for both of you. I am a vet (i dont practice anymore) and I also had to take my sweet girl two days ago to be put down due to a brain tumor that was causing many seizures. Don't feel guilty, a good friend of mine told me that animals have the privilege of dying without much suffering when they have a good owner. He was lucky to have you to make that decision for him. God bless you!
Quote 0 0