Sulasmom
On Tuesday, my 2 and a half year old Bernese Mountain dog named Sula spent the morning so happily. She played in her favorite spot on our land with one of her favorite humans. She lazed on the porch and ate one of her favorite treats. My husband said (I was at work) that she did something strange...she stretched downward dog style and put her forehead on the carpet and rubbed it. None of us had ever remembered her doing that before. She stood up, took a drink of water and then fell over. Startled, she tried to stand up but had no back leg control. She went immediately into a full blown seizure which we had never witnessed in her before.

My husband and step son took her to the vet immediately. She never stopped that seizure. The vet staff tried for 3 hours to stop her seize but nothing worked. Her temperature reached 107 before they induced a coma to allow her body to rest.

Thankfully, by this time I was able to be with her too. They brought her into us and slowly started to take her out of the coma. Within seconds her poor body went into full seizure. We made the awful decision to euthanize her. Her body couldn't fight that damned seizure anymore. I am sure her high fever would have caused her irreversible and fatal brain damage at that point, even if they could have stopped the seize.

We are literally devastated! She was seriously the happiest dog I ever have seen! Zero health problems! How does your youn, happy, healthy dog go from loving on its humans one minute to gone the next...literally?

My only regret is not knowing if she was aware that we were right there with her until long after her last breath.

It has been less than 72 hours since she has been gone and it has been hell. However, I've done a little soul searching and this is what I've come up with...SOMETHING brought Sula and our family together. She was meant to be ours. If she was only to live such a short time, then SOMETHING knew that we were going to make those 2 and a half years the very best that any dog could ask for. This thought hasn't stopped the grief, but it certainly has at least given me a sense of meaning to her life and death
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Sulasmom:

I want to extend heartfelt condolences about your beloved Bernese Mountain Dog. From everything I'm reading there is an unprecedented epidemic going on now with dogs have seizures for various reasons. My dog passed this week and was having seizures near the end.  I can't help but think that this may have resulted from some tainted Flea & Tick treatment. My dog has always enjoyed good health and was never, ever sick. After this treatment she was never the same. The Vets think it may have been a brain tumor, stroke or just old age at play here. I'm not buying it. I am completely devastated over this. I have always been ultra careful with my pet's diet (raw/home cooked), never, ever gave any medications (none), exercise, socialization and lots and lots of love. I'm still trying to process all that has happened this past week. The emotions that you are experiencing are all very real and normal. I'm there right now. Stay strong. Post here often and reach out to other pet people. You are fully supported here. 
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Mysweetsimba
Hi Border collie lover and Sules mom.
Are you able to do a pet autopsy? If meditation is to blame this is a real problem, if your vet can't tell you the exact reason sometimes they will do it for free. I can totally understand the confusion, pain and loss you are feeling right now. I went through the same thing. I only had my Simba for 10 months, it was too soon, but at the same time we wish we could have them forever.
I hope you get some explanation of what happened. The next few weeks are going to be try but at the same time it helped me a little knowing I was always going to experience their loss, and even with this pain I was so incredibly greatful to have him in my life. I hope you are able to come to terms with you loss so there is no sadness left just love.
Quote 0 0
Sulasmom
Hi my sweetsimba

I unfortunately did not have an autopsy done. I didn't even know that was an option until yesterday! I think if I had been in my right mind when this all happened I might have thought about that and asked the vet about it! I'm so sorry that you also lost your sweet Simba so young...
Quote 0 0
Mysweetsimba
Hi Sukesmom, Simba was actually quite old, he was living as a stay in our area, I took him to the vet and we found his owner one road away. She said he ran away when she got two other cats in. I couldn't believe how she was walking passed her cat who was living rough on the roads for 18 months covers in car oil and mats. We took him in and knew he was old but he had an excellent bill of health!
We got extra guilt that we did something to course him getting cancer, raw food was supposed to extend life and health but I did not do it, wish I did now.
You can ask your vet if they're can still do the autopsy unless you have already buried/ cremated Sula.
I know what you are saying. Your brain becomes mush during these times when you are having to go through something so traumatic. I feel for you, all of us. It's like this is not a natural way of being, having to lose this way I just wish I got it. Your baby knew you where there. Do you know how I know? Simbas tumor started to bleed, his stomach wasn't digesting and at night when I would normally be a sleep, he shook, then violently vomited two days worth of food. He ran to the bathroom and collapsed. We got him to the vet, this could have all happened while I was a sleep. I was able to get him to the vet. on morphine. And to say goodbye. The goodbye will never be good enough for us. But really we are so lucky we got to do so. And they got to have us there. Your love has permeated through to him in this experience. We have to learn this loss and learn to remember the love again.
Quote 0 0
Sayuri
I wish I had had an autopsy done. But it was after cremation and reading medical records and thinking about all the blood she had coming out of her nose and mouth, even though she had been dead for a day that really had me suspecting there was a lot more the vets weren't telling me. She had been hospitalized for 36 hours when she died. Hope with time we can all get to feeling better. Right now I'm a wreck. Crying hasn't stopped
Quote 0 0
Mysweetsimba
Sayuri, the shuda cuda wudas is just the brain trying to gain control of the situation, by havesting knowledge from the situation so that if you are ever faced with the same thing, you can use your prior knowledge.
You did not have prior knowledge when you admitted your dog. Vets do and that's why we trust them. You have to stop tearing yourself apart and acknowledge that you where in your heart trying to do the right thing.
Your baby is gone but lived every other day with you and with happiness, and all those days have to count more then the end, those days was Sayuris life!
I know it just doesn't go away. The pain and guilt is there and I cry every day as well. But we have to give remembering them with love and not pain a go, even if it's just a moment. My prayers with you.
Quote 0 0
Sayuri
Mysweetsimba, your words are powerful and so true. The Should haves never stop. I had the knowledge that she was a scared little dog, anything out of her comfort zone terrified her. 11 years ago she was going to be put to sleep bc she couldn't be walked on a leash, cowered, and was so afraid. I adopted her, she learned to trust us, it was so wonderful when she started sleeping on our bed, taking treats from our hands, but she never allowed a leash on her. Her safe spot was under the bed when people came to the house
Yes, I trusted the Vet would know how to treat her bc she knew Sayuri was semiferal. I thought her condition had gotten worst from the previous day when I saw her last. She looked great when she went in the kennel on the long trip to neurologist. That's mu guilt. I knew stress would escalate at the vet's. That she would feel unsafe, feel pure terror. She would've died feeling safe at home even if in pain. But it wouldn't have come to that. If she had deteriorated while at home, I would've had a vet come to put her to sleep.
Her condition was not serious enough to be admitted. Your words bring me comfort, at that moment I thought it was her best chance. I should've gone to pick her up that night. My poor little girl. Suffered so long getting treatments that made her more scared. I do try to think about all 11 years we had together. I never even raised my voice to her once. She just tried to be always so good. Thank you so much for caring. She's the first thing that I think about in the morning. I pray for strength, but feel so lost.
Quote 0 0
Indi_love19
I echo Jim's statement about flea/tick medication and/or heartworm. I feel my Indi reacted to one of them. Her hind legs dropped randomly during the last 1-2 years of her life. Not sure if she had seizure activity that I didn't know about, but the hind legs giving out was definitely there and I have no proof of the link with the preventive meds but it's my hunch there is one. I brought it up to my vet, which they adamantly denied it could be possible.
meghan kenney
Quote 0 0