GRITSinMS
We just had to let go of our Buddy yesterday. He was with us 16 years. He had been having trouble with his back legs for a very long time and had reached the point where he could not get up most days and messed on the floor. He also had developed some type of tumor below his tail. There were still a few days where he managed to get into the cat food though lol. That's what makes it hard...really hard. I'm sure all of you know what I mean.

I have a question someone hopefully can shed some light on. After the vet gave him the sedative shot, before the final lethal shot, he walked around a couple of minutes then lay down. Then he started breathing heavy and would yelp every minute or so. I didn't think that was normal. I was scared and upset not knowing why. Did he hurt, was he scared, was he fighting not wanting to give us up? I am so heartbroken thinking he may have had pain in his last moments. Did anyone else experience this?
BudsMom
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
I’m so sorry, I don’t really know what to say to comfort you. I don’t think he was reacting to any physical pain. The sedative had a bad affect on him and that is impossible to predict. It’s like the sleeping pill Ambien, it has had some bizarre effects on people but they have no memory of it.
I know it’s painful to think of along with the grief of losing him, many hugs,,,,,
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0
nosunshine36
I would suggest asking your vet what would cause this behaviour after a sedative. That way you can hopefully put your mind at ease. My sincere condolences on your loss of Buddy.
Blessings,
Sharon
Quote 0 0