andrcom
When I got my pal Scruffy My kids were 10 and 14. It was a wonderful time to bring such a wonderful companion into my life and the home. Scruffy became my best friend in no time. The eye contact his following me around my home. And in the latter years with kids first leaving for college then moving into their own homes. Then it was me/us and him. He was most definitely our baby.  In these last 8 years he was inseparable from me. When I would come home he would cry for our walk. it was a ritual and I loved it as much as he did. All the little nuances of him were so special to me I probably never saw it coming that he did not have much time left with me. In August he took a bad spill on the steps and this episode would serve as a warning he was on borrowed time. We think it may have been a mini stroke. He bounced back but the stairs in the home were now a carry only experience. He also started a new practice. He would come into the bath room during my shower and curl up next to the tub where I would on a daily basis almost step on him. He also seemed to be underfoot more then ever. But for sure he would let me know if I could help him get on the bed or couch so he could take up position curled up next to me. The warmth of him next to me is a sensation I really miss. I was surreal in the emotion it carried along. I have photos now everywhere of him and miss him dearly. His final day when my wife called out he was leaning on the wall. The Vet was wonderful and I cried like a baby for I knew the look on his face with the drooling and groaning the end had arrived. I would not put him down. I held him to the end, kissing him and telling him how much I loved him.  He was the ultimate lap dog companion. Always in tip top health and ready for action. I will never stop feeling the love and friendship he shared with my family. I wish I cold smell him, kiss him and rub his belly now! He was the perfect dog! He went too soon even at 14 and a half. P7020001.JPG

Andy
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Hi Andy, I`m so very sorry for your loss. Scruffy looks such a sweet little dog, your best friend and baby. Its so very hard when we have to lose them, they`re such a huge part of our lives and trying to adjust to living without them is unbearable at times.  I lost my dog Jim 15 weeks ago, he was 17 and also our baby as we never had kids.  
 It`s so hard now for you, but you will eventually be able to remember happier times - I still cry a lot over Jim, but I know he`s now running around over the Bridge like the mad young thing he was, just like Scruffy will be doing. 
                        Hugs, Jackie.
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
andrcom
Thanks Jackie,
I know your right. What I struggle with is the moments near the end I did not have the sensitivity to know the end was near. Not knowing this in his last month I so wanted to spend a day in bed with him. I was not sick and never did. Looking back I wish I had. He would snuggle right up next to me which gave me great pleasure. But no time for guilt now we had a great run together. I do still love him so very much.
Thanks P2020011.JPG 

Andy
Quote 0 0
Bailey15
Oh, I love the pictures of Scruffy - what a beautiful little dog!! I especially love his eyes, so kind and wise looking. Your story sound so similar to mine. Bailey was slowing down this past summer but I didn't see it and when the end came it was a couple of weeks of vet trips, exhaustion and finally that awful decision. I remember him staying so close - just like you described with Scruffy - I guess they knew the end was near.

I am so sorry for your loss Andy! It's so obvious that you shared such a beautiful bond with your precious Scruffy. :). I like to think, as Jackie said, that Scruffy is running around now with Jim, Bailey and all the other bridge kids who were waiting there to welcome him.

Wishing you peace!

MJ :)
Quote 0 0
andrcom

What can I say but here is my little boy in late October only a month or two before his demise. I saw him as brittle not fragile. We would still go for walks and I would remind him "its called a walk, not a sniff". He was his own master. He saw things and heard things I could not hear. Why else would he bark up a storm over things I did not see? In these latter days he was more aloof. It really did not matter, if he was happy so was I. We would go out of our way to see that all was well with him. He would now cry for me to lift him to the spot he wanted to fill (on the spare bed in my office). After a couple of hours I would lift him and wake him to go out for a walk. After the spill in August we got these soft foam steps to come up on our bed (he used to jump it with ease), imagine my joy after teaching him to ascend he figured out using them to go down avoiding the pounding of the jump down. In hind sight I feared everything from a wild animal to an accident in the home. While we know people in our area, quite countrified, who lost their pets never to learn of their fate. I also recall in his youth close calls he survived. Once when he was quite young, I liked to brush him (so tiny at the time) on top of the clothes dryer. He took off and as he was falling, in my dread, somehow I caught him. Had he hit the floor... I will stop there and never put him in that position again. Also realized if he disliked the grooming so much, I would respect that. When he was probably 2 or 3, we gave him one of those tick treatments that left him quiet and shivering. Frantic we called around got him to take a benedryl (or part of one) and he survived. Needless to say we never gave him that stuff again. In all we had a good run. From my desk I would wonder where he was, the surprise was he was at my feet. If I ever understand our little bell weather, he was like a signal all was well. Today so many moments remind me of him. I never realized when I heard the song, Mr Bojangles, I would always feel a weird guilty pang. the words, "the dog up and died" "20 years later he still grieves".  I played that song so many times in the next few weeks. My god I miss him.That's kind of how it went. He groaned in a way I had never heard before. He was drooling and I tried to make him more comfortable. When I picked him up and saw how his legs and eyes reacted I was so far beyond heartbroken. It was a moment that I so dreaded. I just kept speaking to him telling him what a great friend he had been and how loved he was. How ironic after all those years of protecting him I would now take him to the vet for as horrible as it sounds but, disposal. The vet assured us this was not something he would recover from. When we agreed to the "shots", I had been holding him in my belly for over an hour. He was whimpering and groaning and I was a wreck. Looking back I hope he heard my cry and felt my tears. I wanted him free from pain and this was the only way. as the shots took hold, him dying in my arms. I felt a certain flick of his head that really broke me up. I used to say "do your shaky shake". I felt it twice before he succumbed and felt it was his way of letting me know he was OK as he left. To say I loved him was such and understatement. Now I am so confused. I want another dog but am unsure as it will never be the same. So it was a fateful day that in the new year seemed so filled with promise and anticipation January 7th. Why that day? As I close for now, I include a photo of him only a few months before then end. To the best dog in the world. Thanks so much for being mine. and thanks to the bridge for allowing me to share.

IMG_0523.JPG 

Andy
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Andy, what a lovely photo of Scruffy - like you say, if only we`d have known how so very close we were to losing them.  I took a couple of photo`s of our Jim about 6 weeks before we lost him, never knowing they were to be the last ones out of literally hundreds taken over the years.  At the time, I foolishly thought he looked quite well on them, but its only through looking back at others taken a few months earlier that I could see how he`d deteriorated so quickly.  I think in hindsight, I`d actually refused to believe how fragile he was - sort of closed my mind to it,  selfishly wanting to keep him with me. 
 I cannot bear being without a dog, my dad had a dog when I was born, and these last 15 weeks are the longest I`ve ever been without one, but like you I can`t imagine having a dog that isn`t Jim, however illogical it sounds.    Scruffy sounds as if he was your little `Once in a Lifetime` dog, just like Jim was to me.  Just know that we gave them the best lives possible, they knew how very much loved they were, and at least we have lots of wonderful memories to look back on. 
                                      Take care, Jackie.
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
andrcom
He was a charmer!

FullSizeRender.jpg 

Andy
Quote 0 0
andrcom
I want to say final update (for now). I had a real connection with my pal. We had been boarding and grooming with the person for like 10 years. We always dealt with her peculiarities. Then cam a cruise we went on. It had coincided with hurricane Irene. We departed on Saturday. I had a strange feeling of ill tidings about scruffy and asked my wife to call border/groomer. We could not reach her until Thursday, and don't you know she said some upsetting things that if we were on land I believe we would have left right away to pick him up. Later when we arrived home and I went to pick him up, she actually made remarks to me that he was "high maintenance" and he thought he was human. In fairness to her the hurricane had knocked the power out for 5 days. But not appreciating what she had to say about an old customer, we never took him there again. As far as him being human, this photo says it all. IMG_0738.JPG 

Andy
Quote 0 0
andrcom
andrcom wrote:
He was a charmer!

FullSizeRender.jpg 

Andy
Quote 0 0
andrcom
RIP my furry little friend, I still miss you!

Andy
Quote 0 0
JennyTeddy
I just read your entrie thread of your baby Scruffy and I cried reading your story. You can feel the love you have for each their. I know you lost your baby in 2016, my heart aches for you. I’m so sorry for the loss of your baby. You share a beautiful bond with him and even still. I love all the photos of Scruffy. He is so adorable. Such a sweet face. I love his curly poofy white hair. The one photo of Scruffy laying in bed tucked in like a human reminds me of how Teddy slept, just like that. Teddy also thought he was a human too.. I lost my baby Teddy almost 5 months ago Sunday May 6, 2018. Sending you peace, comfort and hugs.

Jenny & Teddy 💛🐾
If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Quote 0 0