Mahlea
Tomorrow we have opted to say goodbye to our 14 yr old dog Mahlea. She was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in May and we tried three different chemo protocols. In August, we opted to stop treatment as it was killing her. We count the last 2.5 months as bonus time and just in the last week she stopped eating regularly and is struggling to move around. We have a hospice vet coming to our home tomorrow from lap of love to say goodbye, but the anticipatory grief is almost too much to bear. Just looking for advice on how to spend this last night with her, keep her comfortable, and not cry so much that she feels she needs to take care of me. I can’t imagine being in our home without her. I look at all of her things and I know they will still be here tomorrow night and she won’t. This feels impossible. Thank you for any advice/stories/support.
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

I wish you Godspeed tomorrow,

We are all with you in spirit and comradeship here on the forum. What you are about to do, is showing your sweet Mahlea mercy. And by ending her pain & suffering you will then take her pain & suffering onto yourself. And process it through your grief. It is the bargain so many of us have had to make.

If you search by clicking on our names you can read our individual stories. There are so many kind, understanding, compassionate, loving, wise and even witty people here on the forum, who will help comfort you in the coming days and weeks. This forum has been a lifesaver for me, literally. I am sure it will help you as well.

I felt I could simply not allow my Marmalade to continue to deteriorate and become even more of a shadow of his former self. I owed him that much. A dignified, peaceful, quiet passing. I had to head-off further possible pain and suffering. I had to make that call. I had to protect him from even more severe pain and suffering. And the fear, sadness, anguish and anxiety that come with it.

I prayed to be strong, calm, cool and collected for my boy at the end, when I felt I had to put him down 5 months ago. He was an orange and white Tabby cat named Marmalade. He was my boy. My lad. My best friend. My son. My brother. My comrade in arms. My light. My love. I miss him so much still.

When the time came, God delivered and answered my prayers. I was able to smile, reminisce, and even laugh with Marmalade before they came into put him down. I did not want him to be more scared and concerned by seeing me sobbing and sad. He always seemed like it was his job to make me smile, laugh and comfort me. 

When he was gone, I broke down.

I cried again tonight, all these months later. But I can feel his spirit is with me. As your Mahlea shall be with you in spirit. Always.

Kind regards and my sincere condolences,
James
Quote 0 0
Mahlea
Hi James,
Thank you for your kindness and compassion. I’m so very sorry for the loss of your Marmalade. The grief feels unsustainable, but your words remind me that Mahlea is deserving of being free from her pain.

I’m at a loss for words tonight as I process this, but just want to say thank you.
Quote 0 0
Mahlea
Mahlea wrote:
Hi James,
Thank you for your kindness and compassion. I’m so very sorry for the loss of your Marmalade. The grief feels unsustainable, but your words remind me that Mahlea is deserving of being free from her pain.

I’m at a loss for words tonight as I process this, but just want to say thank you.
Quote 0 0
Jan_H
Jenny,

I am so sorry that you had to make that difficult decision for Mahlea.  I wish I had seen your post sooner. Last June Lap of Love came for my beloved Jagger. I spent the day with him and did my best to remain calm so he would not be stressed. He mainly slept with me at his side but he did get to enjoy some sun. It was very painful counting down the hours and then minutes. But we make that awful decision out of love and the desire to end the suffering of our furry friends. It is the right thing to do no matter how much it hurts us. In time I hope that happy memories ease your pain.

You are in my thoughts,
Jan
Quote 0 0