Forum

Author   Comment  
had2505

Reply with quote  #1 

This morning my heart is hurting and the tears are falling.  It is so strange not to have Vesta here to share her Boxer wiggles.  We had to make the agonizing decision yesterday to put our sweet girl, Vesta, to sleep. 

First, let me tell you about this special girl.  We adopted her from Southwest Florida Boxer Rescue two years ago.  We saw her picture on their website and something in her eyes spoke to us.  We knew we had to meet her.  She was the typical goofy, fun Boxer with lots of kisses, hugs and wiggles.  We signed the papers and brought her home that day to what she knew was her forever home.  In our short 2 years with her, we had so much joy because of her.  She made us laugh all the time.  She gave us hugs just like a person and would rest her head on our shoulder when she gave us hugs.  She wanted to hug us all the time, almost as if to say "thank you for saving me."  She wanted to have constant body contact with us and she was so loving.

She had been diagnosed with lymphoma in March of this year and the doctors said there was a good chance of remission with chemo.  We decided to give it a try and we knew it was going to be expensive but we couldn't put a cost on Vesta's life.  She did very well until the last week of chemo when her lymph nodes started swelling again.  My heart sank because I knew this wasn't a good sign and it probably meant our time was coming to an end with our sweet girl.  Toward the end, her remissions only lasted a week and then she would have to have another treatment.  This past week has been a roller coaster of emotions.  She would have one good day and then two bad days.  Over the weekend, she got to where she didn't want to eat and would just lay on the cold tile floor.  Her breathing became noisy because her lymph nodes were so swollen.  We laid on the floor with her and stroked her head and spent hours talking to her and comforting her.  I told her about the rainbow bridge and that she wouldn't have anymore pain and she could run and play and be healthy again and that she should watch for us because we would be together again one day.

We knew that yesterday morning we had to make the dreaded phone call.  We were so lucky that the wonderful people at Florida Veterinary Referral Center were brought into our lives.  Dr. Andres and Laura came to our house to put Vesta to sleep.  She passed peacefully with everyone who loved her and who she loved around her. 

I'm just so angry that we didn't have more time with Vesta.  It just doesn't seem fair. 

Attached Images
jpeg resized_photo_of_vesta.jpg (71.18 KB, 7 views)

CHASMOM

Reply with quote  #2 

I'm so sorry for your loss and all that you have been through.  I too know how you feel about having to make that decision.  You did everything you could to help her.  You made the right decision in the end.  She went peacefully and painlessly and surrounded by loved ones.  I think no matter how many years we have with our babies it's never enough.  I had Chas for 17 years and it wasn't enough for me.  You rescued her and gave her 2 wonderful years of having an abundance of love and a family of her own.  She is happy and whole now, running and playing with Chas and other new friends, I just know it.  Vesta is a beautiful girl.  She is your Angel watching over you.  Sending a hug your way.

had2505

Reply with quote  #3 
Chasmom,

Thank you for your kind words.  I am having a really difficult day.  She was the first pet I've ever had to put to sleep.  I'm sorry for your loss and that you had to make the same decision.  I know that one day we will see them again at the rainbow bridge.
tikibarb

Reply with quote  #4 
Losing our best friends is such a painful experience.  I understand the feelings of emptiness and sadness.  I was luck enough to have my baby Ted die in my arms so I understand what a comfort that can be.  At least they knew they were loved to the last minute.   I am sure Vesta is playing with Ted and the others as we speak.  I really believe they are there...

nicokudo

Reply with quote  #5 
I am so sorry to hear that very difficult choice for your precious Vesta.  You were so lucky to be able to say good-bye to her in her own home.  Before my Nico and Kudo died, I told both of them as well that I would see them again and hoped that they would be able to find a way to "visit."  I told them that I would be vigilant to big and small signs.

We all wish that we could have had more time.  Whether it's 6 months or 20 years, we all want more time with our babies.  Your Vesta was so lucky to have found you and had those wonderful 2 years with you...much too short, but so filled with love to last a lifetime.

Thinking of you.

Karen

reovi

Reply with quote  #6 
I'm so sorry for your loss.  Vesta was lucky to have you and vice versa.

Cancer is tough and sneaky, and I'm sure Vesta was so proud to have strong parents fight for her as best you could!

I wish you peace and sweet dreams during this time...
Mia870

Reply with quote  #7 

I am so sorry to hear of you losing your beautiful Vesta. She was a beautiful dog. I am thinking of you during this devastating time xx

Reply with quote  #8 
had2505

I cry with you and I am so sorry for your loss. It is the most devastating experience to lose our furbaby. And the decision to help them to The Rainbow Bridge...well it is very difficult to say goodbye to them. They have so much love to give us, for what we believe to be such a short time. Vesta is now your guardian angel.

In time, the good memories will outway the bad memories. Jasmine has been gone almost a year and even though I have rescued/adopted another, I still am missing her and always will.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Please know that you can come here and express your love, your grief with those who have walked in your shoes.

Hugs, 

Jasmine is now gone
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/JAMIN001/Resident.htm
had2505

Reply with quote  #9 

I'm having a particularly bad morning with replaying Vesta's passing in my mind.  I can't help but feel that we should have spent a little more time with her before we said we were ready to let her go.  Just one more hug, just one more kiss, just one more "we love you."  Our poor Vesta girl, she was so sick from her lymphoma and I know it was time to let her go but it's just so hard.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.