Bogeys_Mama
Tomorrow will most likely be the day. It's excruciating to think that my Bogey (my 9 year old dachshund) will be gone. Saturday night he was fine and Sunday morning he couldn't walk very well and kept falling forward, almost like he was walking drunk. The vet's initial diagnosis was a "pinched nerve" in his spine between his shoulder blades. It first gave me hope knowing that when humans get a pinched nerve, it's reversible with time. Bogey is now completely unable to walk and just lays there looking as us. The vet will continue to work with him today, but we know what needs to be done.

What makes this hard is that my husband and I don't have kids and he was our baby. I know time heals all wounds, but right now, everything is so raw, so intensely painful. I will visit him this morning at the vet and bring him his favorite blanket and stuff animal. I know he will not come home. There are reminders everywhere of him here at home and I'm just really hurting knowing I'm losing my best friend and baby. I'm already grieving knowing what needs to be done and I'm looking for support from anyone out here. Thank you in advance.

Michelle (aka Bogey's mama)
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
Michelle is there any hope of the pinched nerve getting better?  I know how you are feeling.  I watched my Winston failing also.  It's extremely tough.  Is that the only thing wrong with Bogey?
Susan
Quote 0 0
Baumert81
Hello Michelle! I love the name Bogey! My pup named Hogan who was 7 1/2 was tragically hit by a car last month. I had a few nicknames for him. One being Bogey!! Im sure he will be so relieved that you are there today with a few of his favorite things. When my boy was hit I was such a mess I didn't have a chance to say goodbye because he died in my arms unknowingly. If today is Bogeys last day (im praying that it isn't) just be there and cherish that last moment. I wish I would have been clear minded enough to clip some of Hogans hair off and get a pawprint. My prayers are with you!! 
Hogans Daddy
Quote 0 0
Irongrl
Michelle, I feel your pain.  My dog Shadow was fine on Friday night.  Woke up Saturday morning not able to walk well and lethargic. She had a very large liver tumor and we ended up having to put her to sleep Saturday night. I hope they can find something at the last minute that can save your Bogey.  I feel you pain at having to make horrible tough decisions and all the reminders at home.  The only thing that makes me feel better is that I know Shadow was counting on our love to make sure to do the right thing for her so that she didn't suffer for a long time.  Whatever decisions you make are going to be out of love for Bogey.  I will be praying for you and Bogey today.  
Quote 0 0
camunki
Michelle, i am so sorry for what you will have to go thru with Bogey, i don't know if is worse, planning on doing this, or suddenly facing
the fact that it has to be done here and now. I have gone thru both.

Give Bogey as much love and care and attention and talk to him about when he was growing up, reminisse about your lives together and know that he loves you so much.

And i did get clips of hair that is wrapped in a silk ribbon now, and had pawprints done, they will remain with me for life til my time on this world is over.

I wish you strength and support.

Cam

Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Michelle, I`m so sorry for what you are facing right now. The only thing I can say is that you know Bogey better than anyone, he`s your baby and you don`t want him to suffer.  We love our little friends too much to put them through anything that will be too much for them.  Like you, we also don`t have any kids, so when we had to make that awful decision 17 weeks ago with our old dog Jim, it was the hardest thing we`ve ever had to do. We knew that last time we took him to the vet, that he wouldn`t be coming home with us. 
 Time heals so slowly, but just knowing that you helped to stop his pain should help, and you will be able to look back and know you did the only thing possible for Bogey. 
                                       Sending you peace and Hugs, Jackie
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
Sadiesmom061308
Michelle,
My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry you have to go through this with Bogey. We all love our babies. I know the grief is unbearable. You don't want him to suffer. You are making a decision because you love him so much. He will always be with you in spirit. He has made a paw print on your heart. I had to put my Sadie down due to kidney failure. The most painful decision of my life.
Wishing you peace and healing
Sending hugs at this most difficult time
Tammy
Quote 0 0
Rusty
Hi. I feel your pain. Saturday, my Bassett, Dixie waa ok. By Sunday and after a trip to the pet ER, breathing was very difficult, she was crying and moaning, and her back legs did not work. Yesterday morning, we carried her to the car. Vet said her problem waa a spinal injury. We kissed and hugged her as he put her to sleep. She was almost 11. We're in our 50s and don't have kids either. We're beyond devastated. I'm dying here. So, spend your time loving him, hugging him, and telling him how much you love him. Look in his eyes as he slips away. It's horrible to think about, but it's a memory that I will never forget. Oh, how I love my Dixie. Take care...
Quote 0 0
Joe
I think this is metaphorically applicable to our dogs as well as to a person.

"I was born when you kissed me. I died when you left me. I lived a few years while you loved me."

~ Humphrey Bogart

Quote 0 0
et61
I feel your pain and I'm sorry. My sweetie was fine and within five days left to go to rainbow bridge. I know the time we have with our animals is too short but when an unexpected disease or illness comes it makes it worse. Hugs to you
Quote 0 0