onnie

10 yrs ago i had to put to sleep my white cat of 18 yrs old. his name was Beast. but on the contrary he was the sweetest loving cat. he died of pancreas problems. i had another couple of cats i had from kittens. one now is about or over 18 yrs old. then the other one was half maincoon and we found him at a lake when someone come through in the night and tossed him out of the car to be with the wild cats at the lake. we heard him crying and he come home with us to live his life out. i called him Squeaker cause he sounded like a squeaking door when he meowed. he was so pretty. at the time i had to put down Beast. we tried every thing to keep him alive. but after his passing. my granddaughter was heart broken cause it was the first time she lost a pet. i told her that some where in the world was a little kitten that needed a good home and someone to love her. i told her she had to be calico. my granddaughter asked if she could name her. she asked if we could call her Sassy. the next day i called up our vet. told them we was looking for a calico kitten. she called me back and said her friend had moved into this new house and the people left their two pregnant cats. and she had one calico left. i told her i would take her site unseen. we had to still wait for 3 weeks before we could go pick her up. she was only 2 weeks old then. 
we hurried around the house and got it ready for our new baby. the time come to go pick her up. and she was perfect. i took her first pictures of seeing the dog when we got home. she loved to pee in the dogs bed. but she curled up with my old dog Gypsy. the pictures now are so priceless. i took her to my vet and found out then that she was maincoon. as she grew she got more pretty. and i would hold her in my arms and wrap her in a blanket and rock her to sleep on me. and i would sing to her. she followed me around like a shadow. at the loss of my old dog Gypsy she grew up with. Sassy was there to comfort me. to give me kisses and pat my cheek. the following yr after loosing my gypsy i lost my husband in front of me from bone and lung cancer. he passed one morning in his chair. Sassy was there with me when no one else was. the following yr almost to the month. i had to put down Squeekers and i held him in my arms and sobbed as he went to sleep forever. he was very old. at night Sassy was there to comfort me again. she slept with me and she sat on my chair as i ate and got some tid bits from my plate. through the yrs she remained my shadow. i taught her how to sit up, speak, and shake hands and she gave kisses. she was the queen of the house. she developed asma so the vet said. but no test was given or ex rays. and i was told if i gave her medication for it that it would toss her into diabetes. as i am one i didnt want her to be one either. 
i watched her close worried about her. she got bigger and bigger and bigger as maincoons do. she was so pretty and loving. but she kept the other cats in line. about 10 months ago on my sons farm. we found a baby kitten. the mother was not feeding him. and the coyotes got the rest of the babies. he was starving and wet and cold. his body temp was way down. if we had not of taken him he would of been dead that night. the mother was not feeding him either. we took him to the vet right away to get some milk supplement. i got a sub vet and got chewed out for taking him. i told her he would of died if i had not. his temp was way below what it should of been. but i fed him at home every 2 hours. called him Benny Bean. he is a lynx point half Siamese. i am mommy to him. he is now 10 months old. 
At first sassy was very upset with me for the kitten being here. she refused to even sit on my lap. my heart sunk so deep. cause Sassy was always and always will be number one in my heart. no other cat will ever take her place. after a little while she started to except the other kitten. then one day she decided to come back on my chest and lay. she would lay on her side. and look into my eyes and reach out and touch my chin. and settle down. give me a kiss on the cheek and i would pull a blanket up over here and rock her to sleep. as i always did.  August 7 2013, that late afternoon. sassy crawled up on my chest again. laid on my left shoulder and just looked at me with those beautiful eyes. reached out her paw. i told her how much she met to me. and that i loved her so much. and what would i ever do with out her. the next  morning when i got up, she was laying where she usually did in the morning on the rug. i always went to say good morning to her. but this time when i looked at her. something was not right. Sassy lay there so still. her eyes open and dilated. and i looked to see her breathing. Sassy had died. i cried out Sassy is dead. and i picked her up. she was still warm. and i sobbed into her body. she was only 10 yrs old. she had problems swallowing and they treated her for a sore throat. still passed me off to another vet. he just looked at her and goes. oh ya she has a sore throat. i told them she swallowed like she had one not that she had one. but they gave her an antibiotic shot. it did not good. so before i could get her back into see my primary vet that she always went to. she was dead. i have changed vets. if i had of known this one i have now i feel sassy would still be alive. i asked him about meds for asma and if they cause diabetes. he shook his head no. he said only once in his hole time did he see only one cat go into it. so i could of had her a long time ago on medication. but i was told from this vet i had for many many yrs not a good idea to put her on it. 
Sassy' tong and lips were blue. when i talked to her vet he said oh she probably died from Hmc what maincoons get heart problems. i blame myself for not pursuing things more. when talking to the new vet about things. i told him now i look back and feel she might of had a tumor on her thyroid. just like the one before her i had Beast had. i had to put a nuclear shot into him. it did get rid of it. but then he got pancreas problems. but, i feel i could of done more for my beautiful cat. i let her down. 
i have had many animals. i grew up on a farm. but its that one in a life time animal that comes along. and is there forever in your heart. and Sassy is there for me. i miss her so much. i cry all the time. Heaven got a priceless angle. she was more human than cat. she would not come to kitty kitty. she come to me whistling for the dog. i had her cremated. like i did my Gypsy dog. and i promised them i would not leave them alone. that they would be with me when its my turn. i placed her collar in the little oak box with her ashes. i just cant believe she is gone. my house is so empty with out her. 
in Seattle shelter i found a maincoon mix cat that lost her owner. liked other animals. we set out to see if we could give her a home. i got there only to find out she was adopted only 15 min earlier. my daughter said mom you need to see this one kitten. i said no. she goes mom you really need to see this one. i always said that, if i lost sassy i would want another main coon mix and it had to be a calico. there in the cage was this 10 month old kitten. she had just been put up for adoption. they had her in the back in solitary for a month sick. she caught an upper respatory condition. and they had just gave her her last medication and put her out for sale. looking at her tail and her feet. i noticed some trates. she was maincoon mix. the man said they didnt have any more. but having other maincoons i knew what to look for. to my surprise living in another town i didnt have to pay for lisence for her. she had been stuck in a cage for a month. poked and operated on. and chipped. and stuck out for people to look at. i took her home. called her Sandy Lou. the first night i thought she was the cat from hell. she hissed and bit and scratched. my heart sunk. and i cried and cried. i just wanted to love her. but i had to give her time. as time went on. and i had to keep her away from the other cats. due to she was still not over being sick. i took her to a new vet that was so good. he said she was a pretty cat and confirmed she was maincoon mix. they said on the ticket on her cage at the pound she cant be around other animals. and the people tossed her away at the age of 9 months. cause it had she played to rough. how sad. with a little patients she does not bite me any more. she licks my hand. she now for the first time today. jumped up on me and laid on my chest. she is getting to trust me more and more. she follows me through the house and meows. Benny loves her they are both 10 months old and now that she has excepted him they play all the time. but he gets rough and she puts him in his place. even though i have this new little sweet cat. and i am happy i could give her a loving home for the rest of her live. my heart is still with sassy. she will always be number one in my heart. i love all my other babies with all my heart. but Sassy she was tops. i know i will see her again one day. i have to beleive she is with Gypsy and Squeakers. at the rainbow bridge. she is welcome to come and visit me in this house in spirit any time she wants to. i will always love you my beautiful Sassy Mae.  

Quote 0 0
Kashkas_Person
What a lovely tribute to Sassy Mae and to our beloved pets in general - how they come into our lives and leave such a big impact  (way out of proportion to their size)  and a huge emptiness when they leave.... each one totally unique beings bringing a different set of gifts and life's lessons.   Every time I swear I will never love like that again, I won't go through that type of grief, I won't allow it ... and then somehow it happens my heart gets snagged again. Take care, Cathy
Quote 0 0
onnie
thank you for your kind words. she was a remarkable cat. and yes we tell our selves we wont get our hearts wrapped up again. we seem to step back until we work through the grief. then the strings of our heart is tugged on again. and the knot is secured. we have been captured again by a loving pet. that has wrapped its hugs around you. sandy my new one she is getting more attached to me. Benny just loves her. they are the same age and have a good time playing. only thing about i worry of being the same age is loosing them to close together. they are playing peek a boo on the chairs right now. its a joy to see them playing. i keep asking why did Sassy have to go at such a young age. maybe i never will know. my daughter said that maybe with what was wrong with her that i didnt know all about. due to the miss diagnoses from the vet. that maybe the cure may have been worse for her. and that this little cat i have now she was tossed away just cause she played rough. how sad. she is a kitten and they do that. some people get a cat and it just has nothing. just sits or has to find its own amusement.  i am a senior lady and my house looks like i am raising babies children in it. i have a toy box for my babies. and they get in it. and i have to pick up toys all the time and put them back. but, i love it. it shows to  me that my kitties are happy playing. i take moving pictures of them. i just hope i took pictures of sassy doing her tricks. Beast the one before her i taught to roll over like a dog. and Squeakers the one she grew up with he fetched like a dog. Sandy is already speaking when she sees the treat pack and sits up for me. i just have to teach her no claws. that is easy just hold your hand in front of them when thy sit up. that keeps them from wanting to put paws up when sitting up. i have been told that my animals are like people. that is cause i talk to them like they are human. treat them like it. and most of all love them bunches. with kindness and love and a gentle hand animals learn to trust you. 
when we got Sandy she hissed and clawed and bit. i just had patients with her. and now when i go to my chair she runs and beats me there. she waits till i sit down so she can be petted. there are so many people that i have heard my self. say. and animal is just an animal and if they die so what. you get another one. my heart could never be that cold towards an animal. i feel that us people that love so hard from our hearts, i feel that God gave us a big heart cause he knew that there had to be someone one down here to love his little creatures. i am sad to know that there is other animals out there that have no one. i always feel that when i go to the other side. i hope i can be put with the animals. that would be the ultimate for me. and i know when its my turn to pass on. and i get to the other side. first thing i will do is call out for Sassy Mae and look for her to run to me. that is my greatest wish. my love for her will never die. she in life gave so much. the unselfish love she gave. the caring. she was the ultimate cat. thank you for your kind words Cathy.  end of your  i put a picture of Sassy Mae on here. one beautiful cat. the picture of her in this big fry pan. she had to get into every thing to try it out when i brought things home. this fry pan is 22" in diameter. she was a big girl. DSCF0087.JPG
Quote 0 0