Forum

Author   Comment  
nutzforgerbils

Reply with quote  #1 
My gerbil, Saphie, has had cancer since February, it began very small but has grown each month and now it getting bigger.  I had her checked by a vet and she said it is a Mammary tumour and wasn't attached to any organs so she has been acting normally but just has this growth near her back leg.  I can't afford the $300 for surgery and didn't want to put her through that as some just don't make it through even simple surgery. She is 2 years and 10 months which is older for a gerbil, I lost her sister to a heart condition just over a month ago and knew they were both going to pass sometime this year but it doesn't make it easier knowing before.:( I've lost 20 other gerbils in the last 28 years, had pairs and rescues so some I haven't had as long as others.  I adopted Saphie and Sophie from the spca when they were 6 weeks old so we formed a good bond.  The growth doesn't seem to stop her for eating/drinking and she even jumps up when she sees me and wants to come out so I know she is feeling okay and I've been spending a lot of time with her knowing any day could be her final one.  I wish I didn't have to lose another gerbil and it's hard to cope at times, esp. when it's cancer (I've lost afew other gerbils to cancer).  She lets me hold her and I kiss her and tell her how much I love her, give her treats but not too often, but it doesn't seem enough?

I have another rescue, Kirby, I got two weeks ago, he needed a home quickly, hoping that would help me when Saphie passes and he does entertain me, he is soo busy and very active, but of course I don't have as much time for him while spending time and caring for Saphie, but will make it up to him once she is gone. 

I wish cancer didn't take the small pets, their lives are short enough and it doesn't seem right.

Tammy

CK1991

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Tammy, I was so sad reading about Saphie. I hope you will enjoy her remaining time together. It’s so nice that you get these little pets from the SPCA! Also, good for you for rescuing Kirby!! Cancer is a horrible disease. I agree with you it is so unfair! I’m sorry for the hard time you’re going through. Hugs to you!
CK
nutzforgerbils

Reply with quote  #3 
thank you for your reply CK! She is doing okay despite her lump, she is brave girl and I am spending all the time I can with her. Tammy
CK1991

Reply with quote  #4 
You’re very welcome! Enjoy your time with your beloved Saphie! You’ll make some lovely memories. When you feel up to it come back and post on how she is doing.
CK
nutzforgerbils

Reply with quote  #5 
Saphie is doing okay, I had her out on my bed and she ran away from me, got her quickly but she can run despite this mass just above her back leg, she is still alert and hanging in there, she is very tough and glad I have her, wasn't sure how long she would be able to still be healthy despite this horrible lump.  Just taking it day by day, it's hard but am trying to enjoy this extra time i'm getting with her.😉
CK1991

Reply with quote  #6 
I’m happy knowing that Saphie is hanging in there and holding her own. As long as you think her quality of life it’s good you should try as much as you can to enjoy her. Take pictures of her to have. They will be a treasure later on. If the pain gets to be too much it might be time for you as her loving let mom to intervene but for now just take it as it comes. Animals will hide their pain so that might be something to watch for too. I’m sorry! It’s so hard to think of all these things I know. Thinking of you and also precious Saphie. Hugs!
CK
nutzforgerbils

Reply with quote  #7 
Saphie is still with me, so am glad about that but know time is limited, she is a tough girl so a real fighter.  As long as she has life and wants to be here, i will do all i can for her..😉 Will treat each day as her last and be thankful each day i have that day with her.
CK1991

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Tammy, I’m just checking in on you and Saphie. You have the right attitude. Enjoy each day with your beloved little one! Hugs to you!
CK
nutzforgerbils

Reply with quote  #9 
I had to make the difficult decision to put Saphie down today, she was growing worse and I could see she was not well at all.  At least I found a vet open and that didn't charge me much in my area, it was a challenge.  I stayed up all night with her and held her on and off to comfort her. I was glad she let me hold her, care for her and could tell she also liked what I was doing for her, she was a fighter up to the end, poor thing.  She is back with her sister Sophie so I can picture that to get me through the hard days.  I have Kirby to keep my spirits up and to care for.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.