K1m622
I had to say goodbye to my best friend this morning. Samson was an extremely dapper 18 1/2 year old Siamese cat. He was an easy going, snuggly, vocal dude. Samson came to live with me 3 1/2 years ago when his previous owner's new dog was bullying him and he was hiding in the basement. I never fancied myself a cat person, but Samson completely changed my life. For the past 7 months, he required at home sub-q fluids due to his progressing kidney disease. That, along with his miralax, potassium supplement, and most recently steroid chews were my daily routine. I took great pride in taking care of my buddy and keeping him happy. This was all apparently working until he took a turn for the worse two days ago. He'd lost the use of his hind legs and could barely make it to the litter box. He was severely dehydrated despite the daily fluids. Still, he purred and slept with me each night. Anyway, I knew this morning that it was time. He looked at me, started purring for the first time in days and laid on my chest for a half hour snuggling until we took the drive to the vet. My biggest issue is not that Samson is gone. I am glad he is no longer in pain. I just can't stop thinking about him.. Thinking about his little body just laying there at the vet all alone.. Thinking about his handsome little face burning into ashes when they cremate him. Everywhere I look in my house something reminds me of him. It's all I think about. I know he had a good life and I know I did the right thing but it still doesn't make me feel any less guilty. Even if no one reads this, writing this has helped me tremendously. Thank you.
Quote 0 0
Missingmybaby101
I am so sorry for your loss of your dear friend, Samson. I recently lost my kitty, Pepper, unexpectedly about three weeks ago.

I know exactly what you mean when you say that you are glad that your friend is no longer in pain, but no matter what you do, you can't stop thinking about him.

Hang in there, and I hope our two furry pals are playing together and getting an endless supply of well deserved treats. :)

It's an awful thing that animals dot live as long as humans, but we just have to give them the best life possible, and know that they are safe and at peace when they pass. Your friend Samson was lucky to have you as his owner.

I wish you the very best as you go through this rough time.
Quote 0 0
K1m622
Thank you for reading this! I'm so sorry about Pepper. I really do hope they're running around together, rolling in cat nip. <3
Quote 0 0