Layla34
July 21, 2017 at 3pm I made a horrific decision to put my 15 year old chihuahua to rest. She was my best friend, my heart, my shadow, my companion and so much more. I can not express all that she is and was. Most people become nervous when one says the word chihuahua; they think ankle biter. But you see, Layla was never such. She was quiet, loveable & an extreme cuddlier. She loved sleeping beneath the blankets and had the energy of a lion at times. She loved me unconditionally. We've traveled many places together through the years. This past January she struggled to bear weight on her hind legs. The vet said IDD set in due to old age. With her pre existing heart murmur and blindness in one eye there was nothing they could do besides minimize pain. So we began a new journey. Slowly I watched my baby slip away. She no longer could jump up on the couch or paw at me to continue rubbing her ears. At times she woke at night in yelping pain, struggled to eat and no longer could fully go potty on her own. I knew in my heart one morning last week that it was time. Something came over me. I am thankful for our incredible vet. But I was not ready nor do I feel comfort in putting my baby to rest. I'm left feeling empty, angry and shameful. I'm trying to find hope and love in my memories but right now I'm lost.
Quote 0 0
Ozziemom
So very sorry for your loss of Layla she is some cute look at those ears so sweet. We are never ready to make these decisions but we do it for them and their quality of life you loved her and gave her the best life as she did in return for you 15 years is a long time you didn't let her suffer and for that she would be very grateful. I too helped Ozzie to the bridge and it was the toughest and hardest decision I have ever had to make thus far we love them so much that it's hard to see them go. It's been 6 weeks for me and I still think about the what ifs and if I did it too soon I keep telling myself I did it for him as much as I wanted to keep him for ever it wasn't about me and it hurts i cry everyday and I still have days in a fog keep those memories close to your heart. Take it one day at a time and grieve how ever long it takes everyone here understands what your going through we are all here for each other hugs to you Layla will always be by your side
Quote 0 0
lettersatlarge
I'm so very sorry for your loss. My Dante was a Chi as well, and he also passed at 15, to very sudden heart failure. Like Layla, Dante wasn't what people seem to think Chihuahuas are. He was gentle, warm, curious, and all he ever cared for was a warm person to sit next to, or to between my knees or my chest. They're so very special and unique. I am so sorry you're missing your friend. I lost mine on 05/04 and typing this, I still cry for my friend, but he's watching over me now, as Layla is you.
Quote 0 0
TashasDad
Layla34,

I send you my deepest condolences for Layla.

Your loss and pain is so very recent. All of us here at this forum understand where you are at and what you are feeling.

There are no special words I can say to you today that will make everything ok now. Please continue to use this forum for support and understanding. People will help you. Many loving people who are experiencing the same type or a similar loss. They will be valuable and helpful to you. Their support will be very helpful to you. 

You need to grieve now as your loss is so recent. I am very sorry for saying this. My thoughts should not discourage you from making immediate and regular usage of this forum for support.

Having to help a beloved pet, by putting them to rest, is the ultimate but necessary burden of a loving pet owner. It happened to me and my wife rather unexpectedly 3 months ago. We were not expecting it all after caring for and loving Tasha for over 10 years. We were NOT at all ready or prepared for it in any way. But it was the most important and necessary decision of our lives. Because we loved our beloved dog too much to not help her in this necessary way. She needed our help badly, we understood, and we helped her by ending her pain.

Tasha's Dad
Quote 0 0
Layla34
Ozziemom thank you thank you so much for your kind words. I am truly sorry for your loss. I find comfort in reading your posts. I hope one day I will find peace in my decision.
Quote 0 0
Layla34
TashasDad wrote:
Layla34,

I send you my deepest condolences for Layla.

Your loss and pain is so very recent. All of us here at this forum understand where you are at and what you are feeling.

There are no special words I can say to you today that will make everything ok now. Please continue to use this forum for support and understanding. People will help you. Many loving people who are experiencing the same type or a similar loss. They will be valuable and helpful to you. Their support will be very helpful to you. 

You need to grieve now as your loss is so recent. I am very sorry for saying this. My thoughts should not discourage you from making immediate and regular usage of this forum for support.

Having to help a beloved pet, by putting them to rest, is the ultimate but necessary burden of a loving pet owner. It happened to me and my wife rather unexpectedly 3 months ago. We were not expecting it all after caring for and loving Tasha for over 10 years. We were NOT at all ready or prepared for it in any way. But it was the most important and necessary decision of our lives. Because we loved our beloved dog too much to not help her in this necessary way. She needed our help badly, we understood, and we helped her by ending her pain.

Tasha's Dad
Quote 0 0
Layla34
Tasha's Dad & Family; thank you greatly for sharing your story. This forum truly has brought me some peace. My heart knows I made the right choice but the rest of me is struggling. I know she is at peace but my mind is not at ease. I miss her greatly. I hope she's with our fur babies. Thank you thank you for your kind words and support.
Quote 0 0
JennC
Layla's mom,

I am so sorry for the lost of your little angel. She's a beauty and I can see that you loved her very much. When you are sad or empty, know that you are not alone in your grief. Every day is hard journey. But you r not alone and I feel your profound grief, as everyone else here that is grieving.

Your Layla has such beautiful big soulful eyes. I know how much you must miss her. She's up in the clouds as youthful as can be chasing and playing with all the other doggies and getting lots of belly rubs and kisses. I am sure she misses you very much but she would also want you to know that she's fine and that until your reunion, have fun and live life to the fullest so that when u see her u can share your adventures with her and vice versa

Hugs. I know it's very hard. But be brave we have to be.
Quote 0 0