stinker
One of my beloved huskies died today while under anesthesia. He got beat up by one of his brothers and I brought him in to get stitched up. He never woke up. This has never happened to me before and I'm soooooo sad. I keep going through the "what ifs" so that I could have prevented the fight from happening.

I don't blame the vet. Things like this happen. I'm just really really sad and don't really know what to do to get over the pain.

Quote 0 0
hopeful

I just wanted to say I am so sorry.  My Oscar dog died of complications from bloat almost a month ago.  It is still extremely painful.  I think it is 10 times harder (although, I don't know for sure) when it is unexpected.  I wish I had some great words of wisdom, but I don't, only support.

Quote 0 0
stellacadente
My heartfelt condolences to both of you. I can't offer much except to say you're not alone.

My cat Spike is being put down tomorrow. Three weeks ago we had him in for a dental exam, knowing he might lose a tooth or two. He ended up losing 8. And as it turns out, went into acute kidney failure and probably was already having some chronic kidney problems. He might have gotten through it, but the sudden shock of toxins caused a bleeding ulcer and he couldn't eat anymore or keep down any meds. Not eating for an extended time has probably caused liver failure. Too much at once and he just didn't have a chance. So in essence, he died after the surgery but at least we've gotten to spend a bit more time with him.

I have six cats total, four of them older and three of those much, much older. He's only 7. He was always so vital and strong, and it's been awful watching him go down. I feel guilty because I didn't have the money to afford ICU care which could have saved him. I feel guilty because I knew he had tooth problems last fall, but so did one of our other cats (both she and Spike were street rescues from the same block in our neighborhood and probably related) and we had to spend all our extra $$ saving her from liver failure. So we hoped Spike's one bad tooth would hold out. Anyway, needless to say I am pretty wracked with guilt but also gobsmacked by shock.

My only hope is knowing we are doing the best by putting him down at a time when we can all be there with him so he doesn't die alone while we're at work. Besides, he's starting to cry when he tries to move so we at least know it's time. I told him last week when we first got the really bad news about his kidneys that if he had to leave us, that was fine but of course we'd rather he'd stay.

At least our babies died being cared for. Spike would have gone to a shelter if we hadn't taken him in, and it would have been a crap shoot whether he was put down then or got rescued. He's had 7+ years of being in a loving, active home. So that's going to get me through.

Best wishes.

Quote 0 0
lovemypets

So sorry to hear about yourfur baby. My fur baby passedaway the same day.

Quote 0 0
Shadowhoffen
I am very sorry for your loss.  I understand how awful it is...so sudden and confusing.  Mine have had to go under for similar things, getting into fights and each time I held my breath until the vet called to give the all clear.  Every time they go under, no matter how routine, it's a scary thing.  I'm very sorry he died.
It's a long path to healing ... rollercoaster that's no fun ... but finding this place with so many compassionate and understanding people will help a lot. 
I know you are hurting ... it's been 4 yrs. for me and the pain does eventually evolve into something tolerable ... the pain is there but you can smile and love again.
take care and God Bless
Norma and the Shadowhoffen Shepherds ~~ Rebel and Rex together forever
Remembering Rebel.. 8-21-01 ~~ 01-15-06
Remembering Rex ... 8-21-01 ~~ 01-22-11
Remembering Tala ... 9/17/2000 ~~ 8/30/11
Remembering Baron ... 3/12/98 ~~ 11/23/11
http://www.premiereshepherds.org/blog ... for Rebels memorial blog and soon to be Rex's as well

http://www.premiereshepherds.org
Quote 0 0
Hulasmommy
So sorry to hear about the loss of your beautiful husky. I know the pain you are feeling, and hope that you somehow find comfort in knowing we feel your pain , as we have been there and are still there for the most part.

I lost my sweet lil Hula on Feb. 12 at 1am... nothing has been the same since. 

I hope you find love and peace in your memories and that you loved and were loved.

It is a day by day process and though somedays will be harder than others, somehow you make it through. Odd how life goes on, no matter how sad or broken you are....
I wish you peace!!!

Quote 0 0