Forum

Author   Comment  
Ethan

Reply with quote  #1 
My Rottweiler who turned 10 last month was diagnosed with cancer about 2 weeks ago. The vet gave him Prednisone and he was back to how he used to be but he is starting to decline. He still is happy and as loving as he has always been but he has no energy and can only walk through about 1 room before he needs to lay down to catch his breath. My parents are talking about putting him down soon and I'm trying to spend time with him because I didn't spend much time with him when I was younger. I regret doing that and can't forgive myself for it now that he will be gone soon. Does anyone have a way to help me get through this? My pap lost his 14 year old German Shepard last year because he had a very hard time walking and rarely wanted to stand up but it wasn't as hard as this is because my paps dog didn't live with us. Even though he didn't live with us, I still regret not spending time with him or going on walks with him and my pap.

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_20190223_095721252.jpg (112.66 KB, 4 views)

Tankie12

Reply with quote  #2 
Ethan I’m so sorry. You don’t know how much time he has so start taking pictures and videos while you spoil him like crazy with lots of love and all his favorite treats. Go buy him hamburgers and fries if that’s what he likes❣️ Some things I wish I’d know was to get a paw print and maybe a clipping of his fur. Put his collar in a sealed bag so you can still smell him. Your heart is where it needs to be so just spent as much sweet time with him as you can. Come here whenever you like, big hugs,,,,,

Reply with quote  #3 
Sorry I took so long to reply. Brutus wouldn't stand up today and his organs started to shut down. We had him put to sleep surrounded by the whole family and he was buried next to our previous Rottweiler. My dad was allowed to borrow a tractor from work to dig the hole and we buried him with all of his food, treats, bowls and unopened bones. I took his last bone he chewed on and his collar to remember him.

Thanks for your help
Here's the last picture I took of him right before we took him to the vets.
I wanted to get him some fast food this evening but unfortunately this happened, I find it strange because yesterday he knocked the bag of food out of my hand and ate it all in a few seconds when I was feeding him. I just don't understand how he declined so fast.

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_20190225_155319366.jpg (112.83 KB, 5 views)

Reply with quote  #4 
Ethan
What a beautiful dog. I'm so so sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. My cat was given a Prednisone injection plus in syringe form to use at home and it made him bounce back to his old self for almost 2 months. But then it stopped working..and he basically spent his entire day sleeping. He looked so sick that last week. He stopped eating and drinking so we had to have him put to sleep.
Ethan

Reply with quote  #5 
I have a feeling that the vet knew he wouldn't live long because today was exactly 3 weeks since he was diagnosed with cancer and we were only given enough Prednisone to last until today.

Reply with quote  #6 
You're likly right. The amount I was given lasted pretty much to the day that I had to let him go. When the vets first examine them they can determine approximately how long they will be able to hold on. My cat had lost 25% of his body weight at the end but I kept hoping against hope that he would be ok as long as he had the meds. I remember seeing the little bottle of Prednisone get lower and lower and I was scared to death.
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #7 
Oh Ethan I’m so very sorry I wish you’d had more time. How are you? This is the end of Brutus’s pain but the beginning for you and your family. Please feel free to keep coming back and maybe sharing more about Brutus I’m sure he is amazing, he sure is beautiful, well handsome🐾 They leave is physically but they are spiritual beings just as we are, and souls are eternal. I hope you can find a small piece of comfort in that, be kind to you, this is a rough time,,,,,
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.