AdamK
We lost our little dog Romeo yesterday. He was hit by a car and it happened right in front of me. It was very traumatic to witness. I rushed him to the vet and he looked pretty shook up but like he would recover. Unfortunately his spine was broken and we had to put him down. This is really hard. He never runs into the street like that and the whole experience has me really down and feeling like I should have kept a tighter grip on the leash. It all happened so fast. So fast. We loved him so much and me and my wife are hurting. I couldn't sleep last night because the image keeps replaying in my brain. I hope the healing process comes quickly knowing he didn't suffer too long and that he's in a better place. He was so loving and didn't deserve that. He was the coolest dog. He would have been 6 years old next month. Thank you for listening. 🙏
Quote 0 0
Patch_Mom
Oh I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of Romeo. ❤️ That has to be so very difficult for you and your wife, but you cannot blame yourself. You would never want that for your sweet baby, accidents happen in a matter of seconds that are completely out of our control.  I know there are no words to ease your tremendous pain right now, but many caring thoughts are with you.  I know there are people in this forum that share your same experience.  Try to do the best to take one day at a time with Romeo in your hearts. XOXO
Quote 0 0
AdamK
Thanks @Patch_Mom. I saw your pet post too and wishing you and your family a healthy recovery during this tough time. 🙏
Quote 0 0
Patch_Mom
Thank you so very much. Huge hugs to you and your wife. 
Quote 0 0
CK1991
I’m so sorry for your loss! Things do happen so quickly and when we least expect it. I can tell from your post that you and your wife loved Romeo very much. Romeo would have felt that love and was no doubt a happy dog! Sometimes it is really more about quality than quantity although it’s so unfair that he was taken so young. I work with a shelter and unfortunately I’ve seen many sad cases of neglect and abuse. You do need to grieve this loss but try to take some moments  to remember the love you gave Romeo and the good memories of times spent with your precious guy. Hugs to you and your wife!
CK
Quote 0 0
AdamK
Thank you @CK1991. Your kindness means a lot through this tough time. Thank you so much. 🙏
Quote 0 0
Patch_Mom
Adamk, I was up thinking about my boy last night, but kept coming back to you, your wife, and Romeo and what you are going through.  What you are enduring I can't pretend to imagine and my heart truly goes out to you all.  I'm hoping you are able to get some rest and that you and your wife find comfort in each other during this most difficult time.  Please know we're all here as a shoulder.  Sending healing thoughts and hugs your way.  

Jennifer 
Patch's Mom 
Quote 0 0
AdamK
@Patch_Mom Thank you so much. Your kind words and concern help 100%. Got a little better sleep last night. I'm sure you know it takes time as you are in the healing season of losing Patch as well. I have a feeling Patch had a great life as well. I understand it would be tough but wow, these are days that I wish we could avoid. We can't rush the healing process I guess. I can't express how much your support means during this time. Wishing you healing through this time. Being on a forum like this helps so much.  Thank you 🙏 Thank You 🙏 
Quote 0 0
CK1991
Hi again, Just checking in to see how you are doing. It’s still such s short time since you lost Romeo and a huge loss like this takes time to process. I hope that you and your wife are doing okay.  
I just wanted to let you know that you (and Romeo) are being fondly thought about. 
CK
Quote 0 0
AdamK
@CK1991 thank you for checking in. It means so much. It's a day by day situation, and moment by moment even. My birthday was a few days after this tragedy and we had a weekend getaway booked in Joshua Tree. We picked a dog friendly Airbnb and it was hard being on our trip because we picked a property that was 5 acres and fenced in specially for our little Romeo to roam and play. The flashbacks come in waves and often little things from our daily routine cause great hurt because he's not there. I've actually found a pet loss support group that meets in Zoom once a week. First meeting is in a few minutes. Haven't had to deal with trauma like this in a long time and praying for a speedy emotional peace, but it takes time. In a small way everyday it get a little better. So thank you for checking in. It means so much. 🙏
Quote 0 0
CK1991
Hi Adam, You’re very welcome. I hope you and your wife are okay. It does get a little better each day but be prepared for the waves that come along. It may be finding a toy or hearing a song on the radio that reminds you of Romeo and you find yourself back in that place of deep grief but each time it gets better and the waves aren’t as big in time. I found this.  It was written by an old man about grief. I hope this explains a bit better.    A5917313-DE98-4F56-A910-54449F9CF64D.jpeg 
How did the pet support group meeting go? What a great idea to do this on Zoom!  
Quote 0 0
AdamK
@CK1991 it went well. Thank you for your kind words and concern. There are still tough days, but like your story says it slowly gets better. It happened in front of my apartment building so it's going to be a hard memory to forget,w still remembering the good times. One day at a time though. 🙏 I was going through some old pictures and that seems to help when I miss him. 🙏🙏
Quote 0 0
CK1991
Hi Adam, I’m glad that it’s getting a little better. Be patient with yourself. Grief is a process and you should take as much time as you need. It’s so hard though, we wish it could be over more quickly! I’m so sorry you and your wife have to go through this. I think you are very smart to take it one day at a time. It’s good that the pictures help you. I think Romeo may be closer than you think and I believe we’ll see our beloved pets again one day. Hugs to you! 
Quote 0 0
AdamK
@CK1991 Thank you. Your concern means a lot. 🙏🙏🙏
Quote 0 0
CK1991
You are very welcome Adam! This forum is a wonderful place. Writing about your sweet Romeo and even replying to others is cathartic as it helps to know that you are not alone in this awful thing called grief.
Thinking of you and Romeo and wishing you peace. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Hugs!
CK
Quote 0 0