Trista21
It's been two months now since I lost my sweet Rocky. I feel the time is right to share his story.

On a beautiful spring day in May 2005 I was on my way home from work. Sitting at a rather busy intersection I noticed a tiny kitten on the side of the road across the street. My eyes never left him as I made my way across the street, stopping the vehicle on the side of the road. I fully expected to get out of the car only to find that he had run off into the woods. I walked around the back of the vehicle and that tiny kitten ran to me and climbed my leg. Love at first sight. He was so small, and so sick. His eyes were so badly infected that they were bulging. His nose was so crusted over that he couldn't breathe through it. Off to the vet we went. After several tests and a few prescriptions we were on our way home to begin our life together.
Rocky pulled through his severe respiratory infection, but not without consequences. His vocal chords had been damaged so he was never able to meow. He did make adorable squeaky noises though. We also found that he had a horrible infection in his teeth and gums. Holy cow did we try everything to fix that! Shots, pills, liquids and at one point I was even making a paste to rub onto his gums. Sadly nothing worked. Rocky had to have almost all of his teeth extracted. All this before his first birthday. He still had all of his front teeth and never had any trouble eating. He ended up being a 14lb, fluffy, happy Siamese cat.
Many problem free happy years were to follow. I never knew I had the capacity to love something as much as I loved that cat. He was like my shadow. Followed me everywhere, slept with me every night, greeted me at the door every day. He had to be where I was. And I cherished that. We played and cuddled, I talked to him like he was a person. I would have done anything for him.
A cold night in March of 2012 Rocky was having a terrible time breathing. He was laying flat on his belly and panting. I immediately called the emergency vet and rushed him in at 2am. The vet told us that rocky had a level 4 heart murmur and didn't have much time left. He said he would put him done right then if we wanted. Of course we didn't! Give up on him? No way! We took him to our regular vet first thing in the morning. No heart murmur. His heart was perfectly fine. He did however get diagnosed with allergies and asthma. This made more sense with the symptoms he was having. So he was going to be on medication for the rest of his life. With the periodic trip to the vet to have his nasal passages cleaned out. A manageable problem and a huge sigh of relief.
This takes us to August of 2015. Rocky was having difficulty breathing again so I asked my husband to bring him in, thinking that he just needed his antibiotic and cleaning again. That was the vet visit that changed my life. They found a lump on his belly. X-rays showed a large growth on his intestines. The vet called to find out if I wanted him to do the surgery to remove the growth. Of course! They got it all and Rocky came through his surgery beautifully. We obviously were preparing ourselves for the news that would come next. Small cell lymphoma. Cancer. Rocky had been through so much in his short life, dealt with so many issues. Why was this happening to him. We opted to start chemo. The vet was positive he had got all of the tumor, but with lymphoma it could have already spread elsewhere. Rocky did not do well with the chemo. He had horrible side effects. Was no longer able to empty his bowels. He eventually stopped eating. Three and a half months after his surgery we said goodbye to our sweet boy.
December 4th 2015. The day I will never forget. We held his weak little body and told him it would be alright. Told him he would no longer be in pain. Told him how much he was loved and that we'd see him again. He was gone. My heart broke that day. In the same way that I never thought I could love something so much, I never knew I could miss something so much.
It's been very hard. Almost impossible to live without him. Every cell in my body wants to hold him and talk to him again. He's the love of my life. I will never be the same without him. But I do find comfort in knowing that he had a good life. I saved him from death and he repayed me with his unconditional love.
Until we meet again my sweet Rocky. You will always be in my thoughts and forever in my heart. I love you...
Quote 0 0
DanHenao
Trista21,

I am very sad in hearing about Rocky, as my own cat Rupert died yesterday morning. Take comfort in that he was happy with you in his life. Now both him and Rupert are in a better place now. 
Danny

My friend, my brother, Rupert, pre 2001-January 25, 2016 
I love you and I miss you. 

Quote 0 0
Belly
Hey, Trista21.
Thank you for taking such amazing care of Rocky. He's a very lucky cat to have had you as a human, as you are very lucky to have had such a wonderful and loving friend. 
It seems that the day you lost Rocky was the day I found out my Yuuki had left a month ago. It's hard, but please stay strong, and always remember that Rocky is watching over you with much love. He may not be with you physically, but he certainly is there in your heart, with you in spirit. Let the happy memories keep you going.

Hugs and hearts, 
Belly
Quote 0 0