ripmysweetpuppytucky
My poor baby died today. He was a 13 year old beagle named Tucker, who I've had since I was 11 years old.  I just can't believe he is gone, my mind can't process it. It was so sudden.  I am absolutely devastated.

I woke up really late from a bad previous night(unrelated to Tucker) to find him stumbling about and not responding to me. Next thing I knew he couldn't stand or move at all. I picked him up and took him to the vet. Normally he would be extremely nervous and scared since he hates the car ride but he was basically lifeless in my lap.
I knew things were going to be bad...

Get to the vet, vet figures it must be either a stroke or anaphylactic shock. They run some tests, do X-Rays. His temperature was 97, and the only thing on the X-ray was that his spleen looked enlarged.  Unfortunately the doctor didn't make that his main focus.

I wonder if that would have saved my dog.  The vet ended up putting a catheter in and put my dog on a heating pad to see if that would help. He told me to call him back at 5PM.   So I waited like 3-4 grueling hours worried sick about my boy and I called the vet and he said that Tucker had gotten worse, and that I had two options, take him to a 24 hour hospital or put him down.

He calls back about 10 minutes later saying, hes 90% sure that my dogs spleen has ruptured and there is internal bleeding and that its really bad and that they could try surgery ( most likely at an hour away animal hospital since the vet office was going to close in an hour ) but he may not make it since he was in bad shape

It wasn't my decision in the end, it was my parents since they have money and I can't work due to illness. They decided to put him down...

I went to say goodbye with my mom...I almost wish I hadn't- seeing my boy suffering like that was the worst thing I have ever experienced in my life. I am so heartbroken for him. He looked absolutely awful and like he was suffering so badly. Struggling to breathe, huge stomach from internal bleeding.. I can't believe they let him suffer for that long. I am so frustrated and upset with this whole situation. 

I wonder if things could have been different if I had gone somewhere else. Maybe he would still be alive.

I hope his sister(also 13 year old beagle) will be okay without him.

RIP Tucker. I love you

Quote 0 0
Bellamom
It sounds like the decision was taken out of your hands. The same thing happened to my Bella - I took her in because she couldn't stand up one day. The vet took an X-ray and told me that she had a cancerous mass in her belly that filled the entire cavity. They then offered to remove it. My Bella gave me a signal that I need to let her go - she wouldn't even lift her head to look at me the whole time we were there. I knew what I had to do and she left me no doubt. Maybe Tucker was giving you a signal too - you did everything out of love.
Marina landa
Quote 0 0
ripmysweetpuppytucky
Thanks for your reply. I'm having such a hard time with this. Can't stop thinking about him, he was so important in my life. 
Quote 0 0
Jody
I am so sorry for your loss of your baby Tucker. It is so sad that we have to go through this pain. Once a tumor ruptures on the spleen, there is really little you can do.Even if you got him somewhere else or did surgery, the outcome would have probably been the same. My golden died suddenly on me at 7yrs old in the night. I suspect that might have been the same thing that happened to my precious Tony. He was fine and then he was dead. You did all you could just know that. Tucker will always be with you. We are all here for you...
Quote 0 0