Breezy2013
I have been lurking here awhile, reading.  Couldnt post at first.  I lost my Brutus back in June.  She was a Blue and Gold Macaw which is a very large South AmericaN parrot.  i had her since she was 8 weeks old and she was 25 years when she died.  Her death is still a mystery, as they can live for over 80 years.  We tried to get her in to her vets but she died in my car.  It was extremely traumatic.  I still have a young African Grey Parrot and I took him to the vet to make sure he was healthy and what Brutus had wasnt contagious.  Luckily he is very healthy.  My vet thinks Brutus had liver issues, he said Macaws get that frequently.  I ended up in the hospital for four days after it happened.  I have Afib, which is a heart condition and I was so stressed after I lost her I couldnt function.
If love could have saved you you never would have died.
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
I can only imagine the loss of a beloved pet which has been part of your life for 25yrs!
Fur or feathers they are our family and we love them like our babies and the grief is just as raw and devastating. I’m sorry you ended up in the hospital. I can definitely understand that happening especially with your condition.
Their is a woman here who lost her cockatiel, Sparky, in December, after 28 yrs. it’s heartbreaking. You have both had your feathered loves longer than most children live at home and that’s a traumatic loss. Please keep writing and I’d love to see a picture, I’m sure Brutus is beautiful,,,,,
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0
Breezy2013
She was beautiful.  I will have to try and find a good photo.  She was hand reared as a baby and thought she was a person.  I finished the hand rearing and she was kind of like a child to me (I cant have kids)  She was cuddly, a very sweet bird.  WIN_20170801_17_04_36_Pro.jpg 
Quote 0 0
MAlcindor
What a beautiful baby, I am so sorry you lost her after 25 years. I know how terrible the pain is, and with your heart condition I am not surprised it put you in the hospital. I hope you are better. In the beginning is very difficult to write about our babies but it does help to share your story here where everyone understands what you are going through and no one will judge. Everyone grieves their own way and for however long it takes them. Thank you for sharing that beautiful picture of Brutus.
Quote 0 0
Breezy2013
All I have are some pictures, A couple of long tail feathers and some of her toys.  Everything else is gone.  I moved Breezy, my African Grey, into her room as it was too empty.  He likes it in there just as Brutus did.
Quote 0 0
Sampson
Breezy2013, Brutus was very beautiful. It's very sad that she passed so young. Try to take comfort in that she was lucky because she knew true love and you gave her a safe and happy home. I understand you miss her so much and it's very, very painful. My deepest condolences on your loss,
Sam
Quote 0 0
Breezy2013
Thanks Sam, she was gorgeous.  She was also the best companion I could ask for, being a parrot, she talked a lot.  I feel like I lost a child, I raised her.  Every time I go in her room and see her cage apart against the wall, it is like a slap in the face.  At least Breezy is still in there.  If it wasnt for him, I wouldnt be doing well at all.  I walk in and Breezy runs to the door waiting  for me to take him out.  Parrots are moody like cats.  They are wild animals, not pets.  They are more like roommates or companions.  Fortunately, I have kept them for years, so I take the bites with the company and conversation.
Quote 0 0
MAlcindor
Breezy2013 wrote:
Thanks Sam, she was gorgeous.  She was also the best companion I could ask for, being a parrot, she talked a lot.  I feel like I lost a child, I raised her.  Every time I go in her room and see her cage apart against the wall, it is like a slap in the face.  At least Breezy is still in there.  If it wasnt for him, I wouldnt be doing well at all.  I walk in and Breezy runs to the door waiting  for me to take him out.  Parrots are moody like cats.  They are wild animals, not pets.  They are more like roommates or companions.  Fortunately, I have kept them for years, so I take the bites with the company and conversation.

It must be so awesome to have a baby you can talk to all day. The way we care and love our babies it is like losing a child when they die. The reminders in our homes are heart wrenching but it is a good thing you have Breezy to keep you company and you can talk to him about Brutus. 
Quote 0 0
Breezy2013
My Grey Parrot is a really good talker.  I still come home to him greeting me, but  miss Brutus so much.  Breezy, my Grey is keeping me going, though.  Parrots need lots of attention or they get mad and bite so he is keeping me busy.  For the most part, Breezy is a sweetheart but any bird needs attention.  More attention than my dog and cat.  They are really like kids and they talk to you.
Quote 0 0
Breezy2013
It's the time I usually give you your foraging toy filled with fruits and veggies.  It is so weird you are not here, Brutus.  Going to give Breezy his fruits and veggies in a minute, he is calling me for them.  Thank God for Breezy, the house would be too quiet and empty without him.
Quote 0 0
Breezy2013
Added soome Photos of you to the other thread Brutus.  Weird thing is, you just looked like you were sleeping after you passed, last we saw you.  You did not have a peaceful death, however.  Think I would just rather remember the way you used to be when you were with me rather than your last few minutes.  Sleep tight girl, I am getting your brother out now, he is calling for me.
Quote 0 0
Breezy2013
Good morning, Brutus.  Your brother Rudy is up to his usual tricks.  A photo that kind of looks like him, thought it was cute, anyways.
[image] 
Quote 0 0
Breezy2013
Brutus, I got to see Rusty and Bobby today.  I still have them, I just full board them now since I had the problems with my heart.  I fed them grain and took them for a grass walk.  Then I took care of their feet and put them back in the pasture.  It was very hot today.
Quote 0 0
Breezy2013
Slowly, slowly am getting better.  Took Rudy for a walk, six times up and down our 350 foot driveway.  Out of breath, but overall okay.  I'm getting there.
Quote 0 0
Breezy2013
Brutuses Rainbow Bridge Residency with some of her favorite things. 
https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BRUTU041/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0