jonandkathy
Today we had to send our dear boys, Clay and Luke across the bridge.
They came into our lives almost 12 years ago when our Chocolate lab Bo was lost to cancer.
We went to look at puppies when the house was too quiet and empty. There were two puppies left, we didn't have the heart to break them up so they both came home with us.
Luke and Clay, also known as Mommies little boys and Daddys little dudes were such a part of our lives. We liked to say we were owned and operated by them.
Both boys started to go down hill together - Clay with bad hips, barely able to stand, and Luke with diabetes and hip problems. It was clear the past couple of weeks that they were uncomfortable, so we began talking about the inevitable day. It just came so fast.
We made sure their last days were excellent - hamburgers and ice cream cones from McDonalds, lots of love, hugs and talks.   
So much joy and happy times with the boys, and tonight the house is so empty without them. 

We'll see you again someday boys. Until then, play, be happy, and meet your brothers and sisters.

Clay
Clay.jpg 

Luke
Luke.jpg 
Blessed to have friends like
Ginger
Bo
Bud
Clay
Luke
Quote 0 0
Jessa
I am so very sorry for your loss, they are beautiful boys.
Quote 0 0
camunki
Clay and Luke are beautiful! and I am so sorry for the inevitable of putting them to sleep. I am glad they had some McDonalds treats on their last days. It is so sad how dogs lives pass by so quickly. You did the right thing, no more suffering and they are together now as your
guardian angels, until you meet again.

Cam

Cam

Quote 0 0
jonandkathy
Thank you so much for your thoughts Jessa and Cam. The house is so quiet and empty. My head knows it was right, but my heart is fighting it.
Ginger
Bo
Bud
Clay
Luke
Quote 0 0
stellasMOM
jonandkathy: Blessings to you for this heartbreaking loss of both of your boys. My husband and I had to let our Sweet Stella go on monday. She was 11.6 yr old Black Lab and the absolute love of our life!! We have no human children (i am 54 and my husband is 58) and Stella was our perfect baby girl. She too had been going downhill for a few months with no true diagnosis, but was ready to be tested for Cushings Disease. We SO feel your pain and loss. Our house, yard, SUV ALL filled with her and all of our memories are now empty and lonely...she went EVERYWHERE with us. Even at the end on Monday morning, we knew soothing was wrong and she wagged her tail one last time, when we said let's go for a ride...as weak as she was, there was that sweetness. We send peaceful thoughts as you move through these minutes, days, and weeks without your precious boys. We are truly blessed to have loved such beautiful souls...their unconditional love and loyalty have made us better humans. Blessings and peace! ((hugs)) . Stella, Clay, and Luke are now running pain free with new friends and family who are waiting for them. 
Quote 0 0
bartlett
How sad to lose both of your babies at the same time but for them it was probably the best way. To be born together and leave together. I can't help but cry just thinking about it. I can see the sweetness in both their faces and know they had the best of life with both of you.
Know that you are thought of with understanding and compassion.
Chester's mom (Joan)
joan bartlett
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
So very sorry on the loss of your beautiful boys Clay and Luke, such gorgeous dogs. We know exactly what you are going through as we had to make that awful decision 17 days ago with our old boy Jim. We knew we were doing the right thing for him, but it hurts so much. At the very end it`s the last loving thing we can do for them - they would thank us if they could - but it`s still so hard to do. Think of the wonderful life you gave them, you kept them together and you must have so many lovely memories to look back on. I know without a doubt we`ll meet them again, I know that for sure. Hugs to you. Jackie xxx
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
the loss of your beloved clay and luke at the same time is one I can't imagine but the 12 wonderful loving years they shared with the two of you had to be the joy of their lives.  gosh I can't even imagine the pain of losing both at once and I feel so fragile having lost my dear service dog roxie Saturday.  today I found myself getting a wee bit angry that I was only allowed 9 years with my mommy's girl but then I started to think about how wonderful those 9 years were and how my quality of life improved so greatly thanks to her that the anger just slipped away replaced by more tears and a sore heart.

in one way I wish I could have known in advance by signs that she was about to leave me as you both had; to give her the special treats she enjoyed; maybe extra walks; definitely extra hugs and kisses - but not too sure i'd have handled knowing it was about to occur because my life so very much depended upon her being with me each and every day very well at all and she'd have sensed that and not been herself that she was to almost the end.

your boys were beautiful and now they are not only beautiful but young again, with no ailments hurting them or illnesses hindering their quality of life across the bridge and they will greet you both when it is your time to cross.  many many hu
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
jonandkathy
Stella's Mom - thank you! I hope Stella and our boys are great friends now. I'm sorry for your loss as well. It's never long enough is it?

Joan - thank you. We knew that with both of them uncomfortable, it was the best way. We couldn't imagine either without the other, and this way they were able to make the journey together, just as they had done everything in life together.

Jackie - I'm sorry for your loss too. It is the hardest thing to do, but it's the right thing for them. Any longer and it would have been for us, which isn't fair to the friends that give us nothing but love all their lives.

Nonna - so sorry for your loss as well. Roxie knows you only wanted the best for her, maybe this was her way of making it easier for you to deal with?

Jon & Kathy
Ginger
Bo
Bud
Clay
Luke
Quote 0 0
Tommyhunter123
So sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you. I lost my luckydog of 14 years 3 months ago tommorow, when the go they take a peice of our heart with them. Its ok to cry, I still do it everyday. You and your fur angels are in my prayers
David Gaspari
Luckydogs Daddy
David R. Gaspari
Quote 0 0
jonandkathy
Thanks David. Us guys are supposed to be tough, but I can't stop the tears. I know it was the right thing for them, but God it hurts.

Jon
Ginger
Bo
Bud
Clay
Luke
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Jonandkathy. just to let you know you are both still in my prayers, it`s so hard trying to come to terms with what has happened to all of us on this site. It really helps to know we`re not on our own. It is 3 weeks today we had to make that horrible decision to let our old boy Jim cross the Rainbow Bridge, we knew it was going to happen as he was 17 and not in the best of health,but at the end it happened so fast we were so not prepared for it. We have just about accepted that he`s never coming back to us, and we`re so grateful for all the years of joy we had with him. As somebody said to me, you have a dog for part of your life, but for them , they have you for all of their life. So true, like us you gave your dogs a wonderful life, in weeks or months to come we will be able to look back on all the good times we had with them and be truly thankful for them being in our lives. Jackie. xx
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
jonandkathy
I really like that way of looking at it Jackie - they had us for their entire lives. Makes me feel a little better!

Sending prayers your way for you and Jim.

Jon
Ginger
Bo
Bud
Clay
Luke
Quote 0 0