Forum

Author   Comment  
Sadie

Reply with quote  #1 
I am struggling emotionally with the right thing to do for a lab that is 13 1/2 years old.  But first just a little background.....Her owner died two weeks ago of cancer.  Sadie was the only "thing" in the world he loved, Sadie meant everything to him.  A month ago I promised him if something happened to him I would love and care for Sadie until her time comes.  His fear was that she would be dumped in a shelter (he does not have any family).  Well, he died - sadly very quickly too.  We were going to bring Sadie over to him on a Friday morning so he could say good-bye, but he passed before that happened.  There were a LOT of tears shed....

So now I have a 13 1/2 year old sweet chocolate labrador with an open sore on her mouth.  I took her to the vet today and it is cancer, a large section on the side of her mouth, her lymph nodes are swollen, lots of fatty tumors, arthritis - typical old dog issues - except the cancer. 

I am torn between doing what I can to prolong her life as much as possible - the vet wants me to give her lomustine to try and shrink the tumors, but then I read all the possible side effects and question whether or I should just leave her alone and let her live her life out peacefully.  She is happy.  She loves her morning walks, she chases my cats, she barks at my birds, she eats well - she just has that bloody cancerous sore on her mouth that will continually get worse. 

I don't know what to do.  One part of me says do nothing but keep her comfortable and happy as long as she can be, the other part says to try drugs and get a few more months out of her......but then if she is sick to her stomach and has the runs and all the side effects, wouldn't it be better to just leave her alone.  I don't know what to do.  My heart is filled with sadness.  I know she is old.  I know she misses her dad, but she is content.  This is so hard, if anything I just needed to vent my sadness and concern.  Thank you for listening. sadie - Copy (320x216).jpg 

Mistysmama

Reply with quote  #2 
Your post really touched my heart.
I can't tell you what to do. Of course the decision has to be yours.
But....my instincts right deep down feel it might be kinder to give her palliative treatments, (treating symptoms as much as you can and when they arise) and go down that road gently with her as far as you both can. Have some gentle days, and some happiness. 
Bless her. She is a lovely-looking dog.
You have a beautiful heart, and have done both her and her owner a wonderful service of kindness and compassion.

My feeling? She is going to join him. They love each other very very much, and it is meant to be.
But neither (in Spirit) will forget your love and care.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Sadie

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.  Yes, that is what I am doing, just loving her with the remaining time she has left, and giving her good food and lots of hugs.  I thought I was going to lose her last night, then this morning she was up and wagging her tail and ate a big breakfast. Some goods days, some not so good.  It will just be a matter of time before she is with her dad again.  She is a beautiful soul, and thank you again for your words of kindness.  Kathy
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.