AZTiger98
I thought as long as I'm here, since Stormy seems to be on the rebound a bit, I would do what I should've done years ago, and start threads for other furbabies that have gone on to the bridge.  I've adjusted to life without them, but in some ways, I still grieve them periodically.

Dusty was my wife's cat who she rescued as a veterinary student in 1998.  I can't remember exactly what she said had happened, but I think he'd been hit by a car.  Some way or another, she wound up being able to take him home with her. I can't post a lot of the things about him, because I've only been married since '09, and I think Dusty passed on to the Bridge about 4-5 years ago, but the 4 or 5 years that I knew him, he was such a sweetheart.  I'll probably put various memories of him on here as I think about them...he was so cute and funny... 😉

He was an orange kitty with bits of white in his fur.

I remember when my wife and I were dating, whenever I would drive to her house to visit for the weekend and she was in the next room getting ready for us to go somewhere, Dusty would come trotting out and hop in my lap as I sat on the couch.  He'd just sit there and purr and let me pet him - and would've done so for hours, if I'd been inclined to never move from that spot.  He was so trusting - not skittish at all.  His little furbaby sister who was only about 2 at the time would be hiding in the cabinet above the refrigerator peeking out at me like she couldn't believe he was letting me be that close to him, but Dusty didn't care one bit.

We spent many days and nights after the wedding with him sharing time on my lap with Stormy.  Often, he'd wait until everyone else was in bed, then he'd come out of the bedroom and find me.  With he and I being the only male beings in the house, I guess he figured he needed some "guy time", so he'd sit in my lap as I petted him, and we'd watch late-night sports or other things on tv for a few hours until I went to bed.

We had to send him to the Bridge probably about 4 years ago, as he'd just gotten to the point that he was so worn down.  He'd wobble when he walked and was at the point where he couldn't safely get up on or down from high places all the time.  The night before we helped him go to the Bridge, he'd been sitting on the couch with me, got up to go to the litter box, and then fell down coming out of it.  I picked him up, wiped him off, and gently carried him into our bedroom and laid him in his bed on the chair.  Every minute of it was killing me, because while I knew that was probably a sign that it was his time, I hate hate HATE the whole thought of euthanasia (it's a personal thing with me, please don't judge me for it).

My wife and I took him in to the clinic the next morning, and I stayed by his side and stroked his fur as my wife gave him the final shot.  Cried the whole time, and for a long time afterwards.  I still think about him when it's late and I'm the only one awake in the house, and if Stormy's asleep, I start missing my other lap buddy.

RIP little buddy, until Mama and I see you again one day at the Bridge.  Your furblings will each be along one day to keep you company until we see you again, but I hope you're making lots of new friends and enjoying yourself, and that you still think of me and Mama now and then

Love,
Daddy
David

Daddy to beloved fur baby Stormy
08/2003 - 05/19/18
Stormy’s Residency https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/STORM059/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
AZTiger98
Sunny was a golden retriever my wife and I adopted from our local golden retriever rescue organization after we got married.  She was a little on the older side, but she was a sweetheart. 

When we adopted her, she came with this stuffed baby doll that she always carried around in her mouth and had to know where it was every minute.  She'd make sure it was with her when she lay down, she'd pick it up when she got up, it rarely (if ever) left her side.

I remember when we first brought her home to the house.  She was "supposed" to be my wife's dog.  Well, my wife and her sister went to the store to pick up some pet supplies, leaving me with Sunny alone in the house.  Sunny lay in the floor, looked at me, then got up and walked over to where I was sitting on the couch, and stood there looking at the couch, then at me.  When I didn't say "no", she climbed up on the couch and put her front paws in my lap, laid her head on my chest, and let me pet her while watching a football game.

When my wife and sister-in-law got back, my sister-in-law came in and saw Sunny, and said, "Umm, sis, you need to come look at this..."  My wife walked in, saw Sunny, and burst out laughing, saying, "Hey! She's supposed to be MY dog!" Sunny just looked at her like, "Yeah, well, you went to the store, and Daddy wanted company... 😉 "

I'll post a lot of memories of her here, too, eventually.

I remember the day we had to finally help her across the bridge - I cried then, as I did with Dusty.  She'd gotten to where she really couldn't even stand up to walk, or at least couldn't walk far.  Another horribly sad day for me - I bawled like a baby as she made the transition to the bridge, and for some time after.  Still think of her - sometimes I wish we'd gotten her a number of years earlier, but I'm glad we got her even in her older age, as we gave her a good home for the time she had left on earth.  She was so good with the kids, and patient.  She'd always look at me when the kids were crawling on her, like, "Dad? Do you see this?  This is gonna earn me extra treat points, right?  You know I could eat them in one gulp, right?"

RIP, sweet Sunny.  Mama and I still miss and think about you, and we look forward to seeing you at the Bridge one day.

Love,
Daddy
David

08/2003 - 05/19/18
Stormy’s Residency https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/STORM059/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
AZTiger98
One of the funniest things I remember about Dusty (there were several, but this was the first one that came to mind) is how he would react when you caught him in the middle of mischief. 

I remember one day, I had the table in one room of the house occupied with a wargame I was playing, and I had all the pieces already set up  I stepped out of the room long enough to grab some water.  When I got back, Dusty was sitting in my chair just staring at the board, like he was trying to figure out how to play the game and what move to make.

I quietly backed up and watched him from around the corner.  He finally climbed up in the middle of the board, looked around at the pieces, swished his tail one way and then the next, and knocked over about 3/4 of one of the armies.  I started laughing, and he looked up at me with this silly look on his face like, "Game over, Dad.  I won! Now come sit on the couch and pet me!"

I miss you, little man...

Love, Daddy
David

08/2003 - 05/19/18
Quote 0 0