MyBuddyLuke

I received my buddy's ashes today.  I had read on here that a couple of people received paw prints and a tuft of fur with their ashes, so I was kind of hoping for something like that, but it was just the ashes.  They didn't look the way I expected them to either.  There is a lot of white, small gravel-looking pieces; when looking closer, they appear to be little bone fragments.  I'm not sure if that's normal or not.  I took an idea someone had posted here about getting a locket to put some of the ashes in, so I will wait until I get that in the mail before I put the rest of the ashes in the urn.  His urn is a bronze statue of a cat that is sleeping and has angel wings on his back.  It's so peaceful looking and doesn't look like an urn at all.  All this is still so surreal; it's hard to believe my little buddy is just a pile of ashes now.

Quote 0 0
judylinn
Hi, your ashes sound exactly like mine. I was upset at how they looked, I didnt expect to see all of that. I wonder if thats how everyone sees them. It was really hard for me seeing the white pieces. I hope you are okay. I havent been able to deal with them yet, but I feel a certain kind of relief that they are here. I didnt receive anything with mine either, just a box. Im wondering if everyone's ashes are like that.
anyway my prayers go with you. Judy
Quote 0 0
Led
Your little buddy, did not turn to be a pile of ashes, he/she is now an angel. he/she is over the rainbowbridge watching over you.

Both of you will be waiting, it will be long, but be patient, soon you and your angel will be reunited

Quote 0 0
MyBuddyLuke

Judy, thanks for your reply.  I just spent a little time googling what to expect the ashes to look like, and it seems this is normal.  I would have preferred if someone had told me ahead of time what to expect, but I'm doing okay now.  I also wanted to say thank you for all the kind replies you post to everyone here.  You are always so supportive and articulate.  I don't know how you do it because it feels very overwhelming to me to try to do the same. 

Quote 0 0
MyBuddyLuke

Led, thank you for that reminder that my little buddy is now an angel.  Your words mean a lot right now.

Quote 0 0
Boogie
How good that you got your buddy's ashes! My Boogie's ashes are hermetically sealed into a big, white urn. I didn't realize I had a choice, but I don't think the moment you're saying a shocked goodbye to your pet is the right time to choose that kind of stuff. However, I've had a strong desire to get to the ashes (and rattling bone fragments) inside. I want to touch them, I want to kiss them. I don't care what anybody thinks, though I wouldn't dream of telling anybody in real life about this desire. Only here people understand.

The ashes are what is left of my beloved Boogies earthly remains.That alone is hard to believe. But they are, and that's why I love them. 

For the first three months at least I slept with the urn in my arms. Now it sits on my bed table. I have an old teddybear from my childhood that I am going to put her ashes into when my younger dog dies. And that teddy bear I'll write and vocalize very strong instructions to be placed in my coffin when I die. These dogs were incredibly important in my life. I want them with me as much as I can have them with me. And I can't see why I shouldn't. Eroll Flynn, a notorious alcoholic (and movie star) was buried with four bottles of whisky. 

Your bronze urn sounds beautiful. It's a place where your eyes can look for remembrance of a beautiful time in your life. And look for  hope for your meeting with your buddy again, at Rainbow Bridge.

My Boogie died on 3/25/2010. She was the best dog anybody could ask for. I will be with her again when my time comes.

A drawing of Pax by Heather Spears. She specializes in bereavement and is wonderful to work with, she understands how we feel. She can be reached at spears.heather@gmail.com
Quote 0 0
MyBuddyLuke
I love the name Boogie :)  It's interesting that you say you have a desire to get to his ashes.  After the initial shock of seeing the ashes, I've actually spent a lot of time today looking at them (they are in a clear ziploc bag right now).  I've been studying the bone fragments thinking about how beautiful he was inside and out.  I've been wondering if any of the little bits are the cancer that deformed his beautiful face.  It's still upsetting that this is all that's left of his physical body, but there's been something strangely comforting to be able to sit with and touch his ashes (through the bag, I haven't opened the bag yet). 

I got a chuckle out of your example of Eroll Flynn :)
Quote 0 0
Boogie
No, that cancer is GONE. Just like Boogie's cancer is gone. What's left is their beatiful bones. And the fact that they are no longer in pain. And the fact that we'll be together with them again. :)
My Boogie died on 3/25/2010. She was the best dog anybody could ask for. I will be with her again when my time comes.

A drawing of Pax by Heather Spears. She specializes in bereavement and is wonderful to work with, she understands how we feel. She can be reached at spears.heather@gmail.com
Quote 0 0
judylinn

thankyou mybuddyluke. you really helped me. I was so upset when I saw the white, I expected feathery light ashes, and now thanks to you I know that this is normal. It's harder for me once I saw how they were. I wish I hadn't looked at them. but I take comfort knowing this is normal. thanks

Quote 0 0