Florasaurus
My 7yr old bulldog died in January and of course it was devastating. She was a wonderful pet but I had some solace in that she died right in front of me. She collapsed and was gone like that. So I guess a heart attack or stroke. I'm glad she didn't suffer.

So in February we decided to add a little bulldog puppy to our family. She was the sweetest little girl. The first time we took her to the vet for a vaccine- they offered a complimentary nail trim. Long story short- she was dead about 30 minutes later :( never got the vaccine or an exam. Something happened during that time that caused her death. My husband and two young daughters were with me and we all had to say goodbye to our 4 month old puppy there in the office. It has been beyond devastating. I can barely function most days.

We of course sent her for a necropsy to figure out what happened. The breeder we used immediately suspected that she was choked. The necropsy said pulmonary edema and brachiocephalic airway syndrome. Which we basically already knew because she was coughing up blood after the nail trim and continued while they tried to save her with lifesaving drugs and stuff. The airway syndrome is something all Bulldogs have to a degree. The necropsy said no cervical bruising so I didn't think it was the vet office fault at that point.

We ended up getting the video surveillance of the nail trim. It wasn't something I wanted to see but having to discuss it with thr breeder (they had a 1yr health guarantee so we've been in contact with them the entire time) made it a necessity. The whole video was about 4 minutes. The first half was fine. The 2nd half she definitely got more stressed out and kinda fought them. When they are done with the trim the major problem is the tech set my puppy on the ground. She has a leash and collar on. When she set her on the ground- the leash is pulled so tight that my sweet dog can barely move. There's no way she could lay down. She tried to take a couple steps and then fainted & peed on the floor. The tech never even looked at her until a couple seconds later she realized she was down. At this point lots of people run and place her back on table to access and help her. That's when the video cuts off. I know after this point things went downhill. She couldn't breathe well and began to vomit blood. We knew that before we had the video.

So if you read all of this. Thank you. I know it was long. But this is what I have been dealing with the past several weeks. It has been an absolute nightmare. Not only am I mourning my perfect puppy. I feel like I have to go through all of these legal stuff and it's incredibly stressful. It's put my anxiety on edge. I've cried so much and I'm so angry. I'm so confused on where to go from here.

The breeder has asked the pathology department to watch this video and see if it makes a difference in their suspected cause of death and we are waiting on that currently. I'm so sad and so angry.

If you know about Bulldogs you know they are expensive dogs. So as much as I hate even having to think about money- I have to at this point. And I don't think it's okay at all that a vet office should get off not having to pay for what they've done. They've robbed me of many years with my new pet. She was already our "rainbow" pet. She made us so happy after our first passed. She was helping so much. Then this happened.
Bulldog mama to Daisy (passed at 7)
& Flora (passed at 4 months)
Quote 0 0
Sampson
Oh my, that is so tragic and so very negligent on the part of the vet's techs! Poor little girl suffering and dying like that for no good reason except total carelessness. I hope you get justice for her! That is simply unacceptable! My condolences on your 7 year old (Daisy) and also for this shocking and painful loss of dear little Flora!
Please take care of yourself after all you have been through.
S.
Quote 0 0
Florasaurus
Thank you Sampson. I appreciate your kind words. I hope so too. I wish I didn't have to deal with any of this. I've always been a shy person and non-confrontational by nature. The thought of a legal battle is something I hate but I also want justice for Flora. She was the sweetest.
Quote 0 0
Bailey15
Hi Florasaurus,
I am sitting here in tears after reading everything you had to go through.
First, I'm sorry you lost your Daisy. I know that must have been so painful!
It makes me so angry hearing what happened to little Flora! Such terrible negligence! It must have been so traumatic for you to have to watch that video. OMG , it breaks my heart just thinking about it! I agree that you need to hold them accountable and I know it's the last thing you need right now but in the end you will feel like you did this for Flora - and for other animals who may suffer from the same carelessness if nothing is done and that will at least give you some comfort. Good luck with everything and please keep us posted.
I am so very sorry for your terrible loss!
Sending you hugs and wishing you peace!
MJ

Quote 0 0
CK1991
What a horror story! I agree with MJ and Sampson - you need to get justice for what seems to be horribly negligent behavior at your vet's office. To take your dog for a nail trim and have them die from it is totally unacceptable. It really blows my mind!
My deepest condolences on everything you are going through.
Stay strong!!
CK
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
Flora...That is the saddest story I've ever read.  I had My Winston for 12 years. He was a White Purebred English Bulldog.  I know how expensive they are.  Their throats are very very sensitive. I'm glad you have a video tape of the incident.  All I can say to you is I hope and Pray for justice and closure for your baby.  My thoughts are with you at this painful time.   Sue
Susan
Quote 0 0
Florasaurus
Thank you all. Susan- my Daisy was mostly white. She had some speckles. Flora was white with some brown spots. We got addicted to Bulldogs after our first. They are so funny and cute.

We're still waiting to see what the pathology department has to say and if they'll even consider changing the report because of the video. I hope they will at least watch it.

After Daisy died, we slowly had to pack her things up. Like her bed, food, etc. she was deaf and didn't really care for toys. So she only had a few. Flora we only had a month and a half and she already had like 25-30 toys. I still find some hidden around the house :( sucked to have to do that again.

At this point- we are considering a getting a rescue adult bulldog soon. Since the breeder had a health guarantee we would have gotten a "replacement" puppy if it had been a congenital/birth issue that caused her death but now with all this any justice will be money I presume. It all just sucks. My daughters are 7 and 8 and I know that will help to have another pet. I know it will never replace her in any way. She was special and we won't forget her.
Quote 0 0
Eddiesmom
I couldn't even read the whole thing, it's too sad.  I am SO SO SORRY.
Sue E
Quote 0 0
mybaby1robert
So sad and so unnecessary.  The vet office should just make good on their part and forget all this legal stuff.  It is hard enough to deal with this tragedy without the constant reminder of it.  They messed up they should be accountable.  Sorry you are in this situation.  Sorry for your precious baby.

Roberts Mom 
Quote 0 0
Florasaurus
Thank you. So far the vet has claimed no responsibility. The vet thinks this is a congenital problem and had nothing to do with their care. We got the necropsy results and when they didn't show choking I think they thought they were 100% clear.

None of us had seen the video at that point. I haven't spoken to them for awhile. Trying to figure out the next steps. I want to be careful and plan how I'm going to approach them legally. Im not sure at all how much we should even be expecting them to pay. The bare minimum would be the cost of the puppy which was up there to begin with. I'm just that anyone at the clinic could watch it and think there was no wrong doing :(

They definitely didn't mean any harm. Just pure carelessness which isn't ok. Everywhere I go I'm reminded of Flora. Its hard to handle. Just went to the Meijer. They even have random dog toys hanging up in the food isles. Nearly makes me cry.
Quote 0 0