mc208
Sadly, my dog of about 14 years old passed away during the early the morning of July 5th. I was there by her side all night as I had a feeling. She was a boxer/pitbull mix.

As expected, she had been slowing down a bit, not running as much, but still easily able to climb 2 flights of stairs in the house. Over the past several months, we would notice her hind legs start to slide out on the tile, or her behind start sinking as if she were going to sit. Back legs a bit stiff and the occasional foot drag.

On July 2nd, I took her outside and let her run around and play with the hose since the weather was finally nice where I live. Everything seemed fine. Then the next morning, when I took her to go outside, she went to the bathroom, then started walking and suddenly just tipped over in the grass. I carried her back home. I can't remember exactly when, but later that day she suddenly lost control of her back legs, could barely stand up and wouldn't eat or drink or anything. It came on quite suddenly. Fine one day, and then downhill quickly until she passed at 4AM on July 5th.

While she was alive, I started researching and discovered a condition called Degenerative Myelopathy. On the one hand, I thought that's what she had based on the symptoms, but then she died within only a day after the loss of control of her legs and DM indicates that a dog should live for at least 6 months after developing the condition.

I've never lost a dog before so I didn't know what to expect. More research indicates that loss of control of legs, along with not eating, drinking, disinterest in everything, are all signs the dog is dying. So I'm just wondering in your opinions, do you think my dog passed away naturally as I'm hoping, or could she have developed DM and it took her away that quickly from us?

See some photos below. I will be making a video tribute to her soon and will post a link to it on here. God I miss her =(

Star in 2007:
star.jpg

Star on her last day resting peacefully:
star-2019.jpg   
Quote 0 0
Jan_H
I am very sorry for you loss. She's a beautiful girl and clearly very much loved. I wish I could answer your question but I can't. It certainly appears that her last day was peaceful.

Jan
Quote 0 0
mc208
Thank you Jan! It was scary for me, because that last day she was in a daze, didn't acknowledge us with her eyes. I just hope she knew that I was there with her during that time even though she couldn't show it. 

I'm working on this video/slideshow compilation and it's already 35 minutes long, and I'm only into 2007, the second year I had her. It's going to be a long one! :-)
Quote 0 0
Rosanne777
Dear MC208

It is really hard to say what
caused your beloved dog passing
except that it was his time.

God takes us so that we do not
suffer more than we should.

Quote 0 0
mc208
Thanks Rosanne. I've never had to deal with this before. I think everything happened the way it was supposed to. She made it to an old age, and was good and healthy right up to the end. I think that's how I'd like to go too; without living with some terrible illness for weeks, months or even years at a time.
Quote 0 0
Lrogers424
I am so sorry for your loss.  Rest assured that Star knew you were there for her on her final day and all the days that came before.  It is so hard to understand illnesses in our pets because they put up such a brave front for us.  My girl died a year ago, never showed any signs of illness until about 2 weeks prior.  When we finally got the diagnosis, her cancer was systemic and there was nothing that could be done.  We had to make that horrible decision just 2 days later.  I hear similar stories all the time, that owners were taken completely by surprise by a very serious illness.  I guess it is just their nature; they love and fight until the end.  When they leave us, we are forever changed by their grace and love.
Lori, Daisy's Mom and now Luna's Mom
Quote 0 0