Forum

Author   Comment  
firefirst

Reply with quote  #1 
My beloved Adso passed away yesterday - February 4, 2019.   On November 4th, 2018 she got a tumor on her jaw and a one week to live diagnosis at 15. 7 years old.  I went to an Oncologist and after the $675 consulting bill, was told they could do a week of intensive radiation and buy her 6 months to 2 years of life.  I  did some research, and some cats came out of the radiation a lot worse off.  Between the huge bill $8000 and the potential for pain, I did not do this procedure.  I am feeling guilty because of this.  I wonder if anyone else has had to make a similar decision, and how did it pan out.

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Robert,
First off, I am so sorry for your loss.  It's so very hard making these decisions for the ones we love.  I lost my Timmer cat just over a year ago to IBD/lymphoma.  After a complete colonoscopy and biopsies, x-rays and you name it, I did chemo on him.  Only three doses but he never responded to anything I gave him.  I don't know about radiation but I know enough people who have cancer and passed and the radiation is harder than the chemo on them.  They say it's terrible. I would never put an animal through it. It would break my heart.  It was bad enough giving my cat chemo and I cried with every dose because I don't think I would give it to myself if I had cancer, let alone someone I loved dearly who basically I was forcing it on.  To me, that's what it boils down to. Us forcing procedures on them.  They trust us...it didn't feel right to me.  It was a hard decision for me but it was the only choice I had to say good bye to him.  With the IBD, he could no longer pass stool and well, there is no other choice.  All told with diagnoses and it was $6,000 and in the end it did not save him.  
I think at close to 16 years your Adso had a great life and you obviously cared.  Be kind to yourself.

Reply with quote  #3 
Nancy,
Thanks for your kind words.  I know Timmer had a great mom who cared deeply for him.  I weighed in my head some many times about the treatment.  In the end, I thought one week of non stop radiation was to much hell on her.  I find comfort in Adso's fight to live and her being brave fighting all those nasty effects of cancer.  I am sure once the numbness wears off from Monday, I will feel more at peace.  I was very fortunate to have 16 years as Adso's guardian.  Thank you again for your words, they are a comfort.

Reply with quote  #4 
You are welcome.  I really believe you did the right thing and I think your reasoning is sound.  Do not doubt yourself. I know...easier said than done.  Right?

I have never had cancer but I hear it is painful.  I can't stand any suffering, especially when it's for my own cause.  I wish things could have been different for all our loved ones. I miss Timmer every single day and I cried for months and months.  

Reply with quote  #5 
Nancy,
I wish you comfort in your grief for Timmer.  It is good to find other people who care as much for their pet families.  Adso has a sister who I have with so many health issues - 2 insulin shots a day (diabetes) - 100mg of fluids a day - urinary tract infection I struggle with daily.  I thought we were going to loose Achilles too, but she has pulled out from losing weight. 18 lbs down to 5.2 lbs and is now back up to 7.9 and moving around better than  in years.  I know one more setback and she will not be able to overcome this.  Adso was always the healthy cat, never an issue, perfect blood work.  I was convinced Adso had 20 plus year in here.  My prayers to you and Timmer.  I am sure you will be reunited one day.  Thanks again for your kind words.

Rob

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.