Marley_Mom_70 Show full post »
Indy
I know this is an old thread, but some things do re-occur. I put my kitty down last week. She was a special needs from a shelter and I used one vet, the whole 3 years I had her. This vet also cared for my previous kitty and did send a card and a very comforting note. but my shelter kitty? Nothing! She was very involved, lots of late night phonecalls and she knew how much I loved my pet and did everything for her. I am furious. I don't buy that they are too busy, especially with what they charge, they could pay someone to write it!!! Not to mention it's good for repeat business..after all, that's what they are.
Quote 0 0
danzey
Indy..........................I agree, I'd be mad too!  It's a part of their business so if nothing else have someone (if not themselves) write out notes and cards at the end of the day.  It may be something small (the act of sending a note), but it could mean everything at the time........................danzey 
Quote 0 0
Indy
Thank you danzey. I also gave the vet office the remaining case of expensive prescription food, new toys and unopened meds..telling them to give to a client who needs it. You're right, a note does mean everything and I'm guess I'm so shocked because I KNOW she knows that.
Quote 0 0
CKCS
You have every right to be angry ! It's very inconsiderate ! I broke down when my Vet sent me a card with all the staff's signatures on it. It does mean a lot ! Shame on them ! :(
Quote 0 0
JenniferH
I was surprirsed to get a card from the vet and I thought it was really nice, even though it brought me very down again.   These people did not even know my Winston and they wrote things in the card about his beautiful brown eyes, how he was a cancer survivor and his smile.  All things my husband and I said to Winston or each other in the room.  It really meant a lot to me that these people who didn't even know us paid that much attention.  His regular vet sent me an email after I emailed them to update their records because they normally send a birthday card and it was his birthday 3 days later and I couldn't handle that. We went there for 8 of this 13 years.  I think he deserved more than email- especially after the nice card from the vet's office we never went to.  :(

So now I can say I agree - you should be angry.
Quote 0 0
Nubsmom
I had my cat Nub put to sleep 6 weeks ago. The staff was incredible and the vet was even crying as I wept into my beautiful girl's body. But it bothered me that they never sent a condolence card. I've brought my cats to them for years and had no doubt that they would, and when it never came it was kind of a slap in the face to me. They're an amazing group though and I'll continue to take Zimba to them. It just would have been such a nice gesture on their part. I'm glad to see this post as I thought I was being a bit oversensitive about it.

Amy
Quote 0 0
Indy
Amy, I thought I was being overly sensitive. Panther was my 6th cat and all the others were remembered by the vet, so this is glaring, not to mention the vet knows how much I loved her. Part of why this is so important, it's a confirmation that the right decision was made. Even if we know it, we rely on vets to tell us when it's right medically. I think relinquishing out pets to the universe is still emotionally traumatic. But we'll get through it Amy, Jennifer and the others. Our pets are being cared for in ways we cannot even imagine.

Quote 0 0
Debangeli
I was researching this topic and came across this...I just had to let my beloved boy go to heaven early Monday after I rushed him to the ER vet Sunday...After 10+ years with my vet...nothing...not a call...nothing...too soon?? I don't think so because they were notified..immediately..In all my years of bringing my boy in for care, the medicine, the worry, the questions....always expressing my gratitude...nothing...I'm utterly astounded at the lack of common decency and compassion...shocked...that my boys Doctor didn't let me know, very close to when they were notified, that they were so sorry for my boy...just incomprehensibsble...and very unprofessional...I work in the hospice world and know first hand the love and compassion my organization provides for patients and families - even for families after their loved one passes on...and that would be right away...while I think it should be the same for our beloved pets..I know it isn't always so..such a shame...I can say with 100% certainty that please surround your bundle(s) of pure love with the best, amazing care you know and don't be afraid if your not sure if you have found truly compassionate care...look into your heart and never be worried about asking questions and demanding nothing but the best..for you are your love babies voice...bless all lost babies and love to their mommies and daddies...yes, your vet should let you know that they are sorry for your loss...shame on those who do not..
Quote 0 0
Thea
I changed my vet 6 months before My Sweet Kitty passed. I took her to them twice and it was on the third visit that the hard decision was made. About two weeks later I received a sympathy card in the mail from them. I never expected one so I was very touched even tho' it made me cry my heart out.  
Quote 0 0
catlong75
Hi everyone I was thinking the same thing. Back in May my son brought me home a newborn kitten that was abandoned by its mother. I had the kitten for four days. It was strong and vibrant. eating every two hours. Then suddenly on the fourth day it didn't want to eat and seemed lethargic. I ran it around the corner to the vet and they tried to save it, but it didnt make it. I cried like i lost my own baby. That was on a monday. That friday I received a very nice card from them in the mail. I didnt receive a nice card in the mail when my Hitomi passed away so I was a little upset about it. I didnt want to seem ridiculous and ask them why they didnt send me a card. Now I see others feel the same way. Maybe Ill email them.
hitomi's mom
Quote 0 0
Saand81
I'm so sorry for the pet parents who didn't receive any acknowledgement from their vets, when their beloved pets passed. When I read this topic, I had to write about my experiences with both of my cats who crossed over.
In late October 2012,our the 12 yr.old part Maine Coon cat, named Tyger, was diagnosed with stage 4 Kidney disease. Tyger was an indoor cat, who acted like a dog. We had him since he was 8 weeks old...took care of him like good pet parents should, went through a couple scary things with him over the years, including surgery for kidney stones when he was 6yrs old. He came through it all, fine...came home with care instructions, but, never told us how to deal with him coughing up a 4x4, gauze bandage, that,thankfully, he didn't choke on!!!! After I checked Tyger to make sure he was okay, I called the vet.They were shocked, and told me to bring Tyger in as soon as possible. The vet also told them to have me bring in the bandage. I took a couple of pictures of it, placed it in a bag, and off we went.
On our way, I noticed all these purple-looking splotches on his belly, which I brought to the vet's attention. He wanted to see the bandage first, looked at it,and asked if he could keep it. I said no. So he asked if he could take it in the back to take pictures, and he would have one of the technicians with him. We said yes. He sh showed it to all of the technicians that were in back, took pictures, came back in the room with it, and explained that after the procedure, while the 4x4 that was in his mouth, to help keep his mouth open, he must have started to come out of the anesthesia sooner than they anticipated, and while a technician's back was turned, he swallowed one of the bandages! He also said that he would be having an in-service with all of the technicians , to show what could happen, and should NOT happen, again.
Getting back to Tyger and his belly, he said, that most likely, some of the stitches opened up,causing some internal bleeding (after x-rays) ,and he would have to be re-opened, and stitched with permanent stitches.
When it came to picking Tyger up and paying the bill, I naturally thought we shouldn't be charged. He disagreed. After great discussion (and my husband saying that we really had no proof that the bandage caused the wound to open. For all we knew, Tyger being who he was ,could have managed to find a way to jump out of what we thought was a secluded space for him),we agreed to pay $700, much lower than the $3,000, he quoted. We also agreed that he would not charge us for the future follow-up visits that Tyger would need after this 2nd surgery. Needless to say, once Tyger was completely healed , we stopped going there.
We found a wonderful, wonderful veterinarian, that was closer to our home.
When Tyger was diagnosed with stage 4 Kidney disease, he gave him 6 months. We told him that Tyger was a fighter, and that he was going to live longer than that. We were willing to do whatever it takes to prolong this disease, but we also agreed that if he got to the point where he was suffering, we would do the right thing.
Well, because we were willing to give Tyger injections for 6 months, (until his immune system realized it was a human hormone substitute were giving him)and IV fluids, for the next 7 months (twice a day )hewas able to live until 11/5/2013) I believe he knew there was no more we could do. He went from 25 lbs. to 15. That afternoon, I called our family to come and say "see you later ", and my husband and I took him to our very kind, compassionate, vet, who told us how lucky Tyger was to have picked us to be his forever family, that it was obvious how much we loved and cared for him, even though, as heart-breaking as this was for us, we would meet him again, one day, and we will be at peace. So , at 5:18 p.m, that day, our faithful Tyger, who greeted us @the door every day, who always had his "motor" running, when you petted him or played fetch w/cable ties and beaded jewelry, who would come running out of nowhere when you turned on the can opener, got his last scratch behind the ears, and the softest of kisses on his forehead, closed his eyes and peacefully fell asleep with the two humans he chose to be his forever family, surrounding him with love.
Two days later, we received the most beautiful sympathy card, from our vet.It was signed by him and the other vets, that work there,as well as all the veterinary staff. What touched us almost of all, was that each person wrote a special note about Tyger,and a little something about how he had touche each one of their lives. They were all very, very compassionate, and sympathetic, and when our Oreo passed away so suddenly, on July 15, this year, we received another beautiful card from them along with a very heart-warming message , stating that it is because of caring pet parents, like us, that make them realize that they definitely chose the right profession.
I'm sorry for this being sooooooo long, but I, too, wanted to let people who have had a bad vet experience when it came to their pet's passing, know that there ARE compassionate, sympathetic, veterinarians, out there.
Quote 0 0
catlong75
saand81 your story really touched me. so glad that you stood your ground and didnt pay all that money for negligence. Thankfully he didnt choke on that gauze. so sorry for your losses.

I came on to this particular thread to share the strangest thing that happened today. I went to a hand surgeon because im having issues with my thumb. I shared my Hitomi story with the surgeon of course I did and he couldnt believe that I still have to pay 1100.00 for her vet care. I told him that they didnt even have the decency to send me a condolences card. He was in shock. Hitomi passed away 1 month and 5 days ago. Guess what was in my pile of mail when I got home?! A condolences card for Hitomi from the vet staff! I could not believe it! everyone wrote nice little notes in there, but one staff wrote we will miss him here. excuse me did you really write HIM? you obviously arent missing HIM because Hitomi is a GIRL! It started my water works up again. I just had to share.
hitomi's mom
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
I’m very sorry for your loss and pain. I think with deep grief comes anger and I know it is justified in some cases. I agree with MaryH75. I never expected one either. What I did expect was good care which I received. It hasn’t always been standard practice either and maybe some still don’t automatically send cards. Their is also the possibility that one was sent and you just for whatever reason didn’t receive it,,,,,
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0
Sil
Marley Mom 70,

I am truly sorry for your loss of Marley.  This pain is overwhelming, and at times even hard to breath.

For me - this is my opinion -.  My vet MUST provide to my beloved fur babies, the very best medical help, DO his/her best to keep them well, Inform me very clearly what's going on, and what is expected.  If they provide all these....he/she will continue as my fur babies' vet.

I have never received a condolence/sympathy card, and honestly never thought about it, until reading this post.  However, when, one of my beloved pets have passed, and I have gone back with another pet....my vet has always have expressed his/her "sorry about your loss" and continue to examine my pet.

But, I do understand your point:  Vet Office=Empathy.  That's the place where one believes, they should know how profound and painful our loss is. 
Again, I am sorry for your loss
Quote 0 0