KimMarie
At 11:00am this morning I have an appointment to put my 13 year old toy poodle Penelope to sleep. I’m beyond filled with anxiety, sadness and grief. I don’t know how to deal with my feelings.
Quote 0 0
Sampson
Hello KimMarie, I read your post about your beloved Penelope and I wish so much there was something magical to say that could take away the pain that you are facing. I remember it all too well when I let my Sampson go. I shall assume since Penelope is 13 there is illness involved and you are putting her needs first because you don't want to see her suffer. If so, I commend you on the brave and loving person that you are. I will be thinking of you this morning and hoping things will go as well as can be expected. I am so sorry you have to go through this KimMarie. I hope you will post again to say how you are doing. Please take care.
Give yourself time with Penelope beforehand to let her know just how much you love her and if you can stay with her throughout,to give her comfort, that would be so great because in the end you will feel comforted that you were able to do this for her. Wishing you peace, Sam
Quote 0 0
RileysMom
Hi KimMarie,

I’m very sorry you’re facing this. It’s a very difficult thing. Obviously, there have to be reasons for why the decision has been made to do this, more than likely because quality of life is no longer there. No one wants to be behind what causes a life to end, but when our animals are getting to the point where they could suffer, it really is the most loving thing to do. I myself did not recognize the signs that my doggy was sicker and needed more help. Her death ended up not being very pleasant. One of my biggest regrets and something that haunts me. No one wants that for their furry loved ones.

It IS difficult, but know that what you are doing is providing her with a peaceful and painless end. She will not know what has happened, she will not suffer. If she is terminally ill, you are not doing anything that is shortening her life. You are making sure she does not suffer needlessly. It’s the bravest and most selfless thing a person can do for their pet when the time comes.

Hang in there. It will be hard, you will be sad, and we will be here for you as much as you need us to be.
Val
—Loving Riley, Rosy & Axl always 🐾

Quote 0 0
mattiemae
Sampson wrote:
Hello KimMarie, I read your post about your beloved Penelope and I wish so much there was something magical to say that could take away the pain that you are facing. I remember it all too well when I let my Sampson go. I shall assume since Penelope is 13 there is illness involved and you are putting her needs first because you don't want to see her suffer. If so, I commend you on the brave and loving person that you are. I will be thinking of you this morning and hoping things will go as well as can be expected. I am so sorry you have to go through this KimMarie. I hope you will post again to say how you are doing. Please take care. Give yourself time with Penelope beforehand to let her know just how much you love her and if you can stay with her throughout,to give her comfort, that would be so great because in the end you will feel comforted that you were able to do this for her. Wishing you peace, Sam
Mattie's Mom
Quote 0 0
mattiemae
My heart goes out to you....it takes so much love to do this.... know that  I am thinking and praying for you to have the strength to get through this day....
Mattie's Mom
Quote 0 0
Nancyj
I'm so sorry Kim Marie.  It is the most difficult decision to make, but your little sweetheart will no longer be in pain.  The time they have to grace our lives always seems so short.  It's never long enough.  I will be praying for you.

Nancy
Quote 0 0
Sueny6
KimMarie,
I'm so sorry that today is the day you have to say goodbye to Penelope. It truly is the saddest day for you. Your love and dedication to Penelope in her final hours will help her cross over peacefully. You are both in my prayers
Quote 0 0
Bailey15
Oh KimMarie, I am so sorry to hear this. I think many of us have faced this decision and it really is one of the most painful decisions to ever have to make. I hope that, as Sam said, you were able to spend some quality time with you precious girl today. After we had Bailey pts I was totally numb most of the time. I hope you are okay. Please do post again whenever you feel up to it and let us know how you are doing.
Sending hugs,
MJ
Quote 0 0
ForMitookie_03
KimMarie, keep coming back to the forum for support.  I had to put my kitty down two weeks ago Saturday and it's the only thing that has kept me going.  I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved Penelope.  You are not alone my friend.  We all know and feel your pain.  I will pray that you find some peace and comfort soon. 

Marina
Marina ~ Mitookie's Mom
Quote 0 0
Buzz
Dear Kim Marie
Our little one's look to us for the love and care we unselfishly give them, and all to often we must make sure to keep them safe..... Having to let go is the toughest part of being a good Mom, your bravery helped Penelope to cross over the "Rainbow Bridge", it is the most Courageous and Heartbreaking thing that you can do to end the pain and suffering our little one's endure.

Just being there with her during her last moments was the "Greatest Gift" of love you could do for her, and we all share that very Special and Unselfish time of Love with our pets, Penelope gave you many happy years of Peace and Joy with memories that will live in your "Heart" forever,
So grieve for her but let her special love for you begin to heal your broken heart, and know that she is at peace and will always be with you in spirit...

Quote 0 0
Fiona_W
Hello Kim— It takes a lot of courage to make the choice to put down a beloved dog who is suffering—as I know, because I had to make that choice myself, for my sweet black cat Annabel Lee, five years ago. I have a lot of respect for you. Take care of yourself and your loved ones in this difficult time. Allow yourself to do the work of mourning for Penelope....

Fi
Quote 0 0