Sarah_LouD
Hello everyone, I'm a new member here looking for some support. I had to have my 8 year old rabbit Peter put to sleep this morning as my parents took him to the vets on Monday and they found he had a tumour under his back leg. He very quickly deteriorated to last night when he couldn't sit up, eat or drink and then this morning he was just laying down flat. My dad took him to the vets and held him as he gently was put asleep. He then brought him home and we buried him together in a shoe box I decorated and filled with hay and his favourite biscuit and toy under the rose bush in our garden. I initially didn't want to see him once he had passed but he was made to look peaceful and I feel it helped a little but my heart is just breaking as I'm 30 and still single so he was my world xxx 
S.L.Dixon
Quote 0 0
Ollies_Grieving_Mama
I'm really, really sorry. About 2 weeks ago, I had what I thought was a healthy dog deteriorate and die over a similar course of 48 hours. It took me 2 weeks of being on medicine for panic attacks, but I'm finally turning a corner. The thing that made me feel better was what a vet told me maybe 5 years ago when my last dog passed -- animals only live in the present, not the past or the future. When they are really sick, they only know how badly they feel right then, and they don't have any memories of past fun or hopes for the future to make them  feel better. You did the kindest thing that you could have done for him -- allowing him a gentle, compassionate,  dignified death. I know that doesn't make it any better right now, but I hope it gives you some peace that you did the right thing by your best friend.
Ollie's Grieving Mama
Quote 0 0
Sarah_LouD
Thank you so much for your kind reply. I know ultimately we had to let him go as it was destroying me to see everything that made him 'him' had slowly disappeared piece by piece 😢😢 i know it's only been a few hours but I miss him so so much already but I couldn't see him suffer any more xx
S.L.Dixon
Quote 0 0
Marie123
I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet bunny. My friend's bunny Snoopy passed only a week and a half after my sweet black cat Raven had to be put down this spring so it was a double punch to our hearts. Bunnies have the greatest personalities, don't they?
When I had to put Raven down, it was the same thing. Everything that made her "her" was fading away and it broke my heart. I couldn't stand to see her that way. It's hard to grasp, but we did the right thing for our babies even though our hearts say otherwise. Peter is looking down on you from the Bridge right now, grateful for your sacrifice to put his pain to an end. It's the ultimate act of love I believe, in taking on another's pain.
Maybe Peter, Snoopy and Raven are all friends now, running around and binkying like crazy, talking about their wonderful human parents who loved them so much.
I hope you can find some peace in knowing you did the right thing for your baby. My prayers go out to you. Marie and the crew 🐱🐌🐊
Quote 0 0
Sarah_LouD
Thank you so much, you have no idea how much comfort your words give me. I'm so sorry for your loss too. Our babies bring so much joy to our lives that it is inevitable that it is going to be soul destroying when they have to leave us so soon 💔 I feel very lucky to have had him in my life and I hope he has made wonderful friends with Raven and Snoopy and I look forward to a time when I will see him on the bridge xx
S.L.Dixon
Quote 0 0
Marie123
You're so welcome Sarah. Your baby will always love you, and if you look closely you'll find that he will give you a sign now and then that everything is ok. Raven does this, and maybe she'll show Peter how to do it now, too 🐰❤
Quote 0 0
Twilight
Dear Sarah - What an incredibly sad day you've had today.  I know you're heartbroken, and it will take you a long time to slowly heal.  I'm glad that your parents were there to help you, and that your dad made such a nice resting place for your sweet little Peter rabbit.  We buried our cat Winnie in our backyard, exactly two weeks ago today.  It's very comforting to have your beloved pet right there, where you can visit him.  I placed a yard chair beside the gravesite, and have gone out to sit with Winnie, every day since he's been gone.  I also placed some potted mums near the grave, and will plant some daffodils, that will bloom in the Spring. I will be thinking about you tonight when I go to bed, because I know that tonight will be the hardest night for you.  Best wishes and prayers going out to you.  
Quote 0 0
Sarah_LouD
Thank you so much. I managed to get some sleep last night (I'm in the UK so different times etc here) but now I've woken up I just feel like I'm in some sort of horrible dream. I don't want to get put of bed as I know my little boy isn't there sitting up waiting for his food 😢😢 it just hurts so much at the moment xx
S.L.Dixon
Quote 0 0
LisaAndy
Hi sarah, so sorry for your loss. My sister has a ten year old bunny with a big tumor on it's stomach. He is ten, the vet said he does not have much time but since he is eating okay my sister is going to wait a little longer and look for when he stops eating and drinking. Your poor Peter was so very sick it sounds like so best to take him to the vet so he doesn't suffer.
The bunnies are very cute pets. I think you should plant something outside near where he is buried. That will look nice and help your spirits.
I am sorry for your loss.
Lisa

Quote 0 0
Sarah_LouD
Thank you for your kind reply Lisa. My dad was fantastic throughout yesterday. He was the one who took him to the vets and held him as he was gently put to sleep as my mum and I were far too distraught...it was only when he brought him home and told us how peacefully he went that he broke down :( we then found an old shoe box which I decorated with some beautiful paper and lined with hay and his favourite toy and biscuit and gently placed him in to where I found the strength to kiss him goodbye and tell him I loved him and then we buried him under the roses by the shed where he lived. We brought some pebble gravel to make it look nice that I'm going to lay when the weather is better and we are getting a plaque made so we know he is home forever <3 as much as my heart breaks thinking of his little body there I know its where I want him to rest. Wow 10 is fantastic for a bunny. We were in shock as were told it would be weeks not days until he passed but it was such a quick deterioration from 3 days :( I hope your sister still has more time with her beautiful bunny :) xx  
S.L.Dixon
Quote 0 0
Marie123
My friend's bunny Snoopy was at least 12 when he passed. He went downhill quickly as well. My friend had to work so I took him to the vet and got him some pain meds. Next day he was worse and the vet said at his age there wasn't much to do but put him down. Well my friend had to work, but our vet is open till 7 so I told her I'd get Snoopy and meet her when she got off so we could take him together. Something told me to go to her house early so I did. When I got there, he was breathing his last. I petted him and told him it was ok, that we were gonna go see his Mom soon, and he was going to a beautiful place where there is no pain. (I'm bawling as I write this!) He let out this awful squeal, and that was it. He was gone. I called my friend and she started crying and came home early. She told me later that she could never thank me enough for being there so he didn't pass alone. Her dad made him a little box and took him out to her grandma's house not far from mine. It was a week and a half after Raven's passing. I hope Raven and Snoopy are showing your sweet bunny around right now and telling him how great it is at the Bridge. Bunnies are such sweet deserving creatures, aren't they? One of my favorite animals.
I had some angel wings put on a plush bunny that looks a lot like Snoopy and I'm going to give it to my friend for Christmas. I hope she likes it!

Quote 0 0
Sarah_LouD
Your post just made me well up Marie, that was so beautiful ❤️❤️ I bet your friend couldn't have wished for anyone better to be with her baby at the end. I'm just so grateful that we never had to hear Peter squeal or anything like that.... My dad said as the injection went in he just tilted his head to the side closed his eyes a little and then drifted off across to rainbow bridge. I hope that all our babies are there now playing together 😊 bunnies are indeed adorable, I find each one has their unique personality and mannerisms awww that is a lovely thing to give your friend as a present xx
S.L.Dixon
Quote 0 0
Babygirl44
Sarah_LouD wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm a new member here looking for some support. I had to have my 8 year old rabbit Peter put to sleep this morning as my parents took him to the vets on Monday and they found he had a tumour under his back leg. He very quickly deteriorated to last night when he couldn't sit up, eat or drink and then this morning he was just laying down flat. My dad took him to the vets and held him as he gently was put asleep. He then brought him home and we buried him together in a shoe box I decorated and filled with hay and his favourite biscuit and toy under the rose bush in our garden. I initially didn't want to see him once he had passed but he was made to look peaceful and I feel it helped a little but my heart is just breaking as I'm 30 and still single so he was my world xxx 
Quote 0 0
Babygirl44
Am sorry for your lost, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, I to had to put my dog down, she had cancer, I know what you are going through, my heart is broken in to, so sorry
Quote 0 0
Sarah_LouD
Hi Babygirl44. Thank you so much for your kindness. I'm so very sorry for your loss too. Things are getting a little easier as they days go by but there is a piece of my heart now that can never be fixed 😢😢 xx
S.L.Dixon
Quote 0 0