mummy
In the unspeakable pain of my precious baby's loss in December, the only tiny fleeting consolation is sniffing the fur samples I cut from him. But I am horrified to note that the smell is fading. Does anyone have any suggestions for preserving the smell - ziploc bags? I'd even be willing to do something more professional and expensive if necessary.
Quote 0 0
AllieGM
Maybe an airtight glass jar...?  I wouldn't use a plastic bag because it can have its own smell (especially Ziploc, lately -- they seem to have changed their plastic and I quit buying the brand because it's so stinky!).  A small jar with less air volume for the smell to dissipate in.  You'd have to be content with quick sniffs and put the lid back on soon, I think.  Unfortunately probably anything you did to seal the smell into the fur, like laminating or something, means you can't smell it, but leaving it open so you can, means eventually it will probably fade.
I'm sorry for your loss :(
Quote 0 0
KellyC
I would say a ziplock bag. Did you keep your doggie's collar? If so, ziplock it and the leash along with the fur you have. The smell will stay inside the ziplock bags on these items.

I'm sorry for your loss. Your baby was beautiful and looked sweet.
Quote 0 0
mummy
Thank you both. Yes, I learned the lesson the hard way about not opening the container to stiff - after nearly three months the smell is still there but not as potent so I need to preserve it quickly and resist the temptation to smell it which makes him feel physically close. For the collar it's too late because when I'm home I drape it round my neck to feel him close. And yes, he was very sweet and I can't bear life without him.
Quote 0 0
Sampson
I happened to read your comment on another person's post and I want to express my deepest sympathy for your loss! I wish I had seen your post originally so I could have conveyed these feelings. It is one of the worst things I have ever experienced and so I can identify with your pain. I hope you were able to preserve the smell of your baby's fur. I did the same with my Sampson but I must confess it took me a while to be able to look at them: nevertheless I am so happy to have as I know that when the time is right I will do something with them. For now, I volunteer once a week to walk my neighbours dog. She has such bad arthritis and her little Jack Russell is very high energy. I also try and get on the forum a few times a week and usually look for people who have had not had a lot of responses. I wish I'd seen your post - sometimes they do move quickly The picture you posted of your dog was indeed most handsome! I hope you are finding it a bit easier. We never really "get over it" but with time the terrible pain begins to lessen. I agree as well that it might be better for people (even though they miss their pets) to have a private conversation (message) if they have been on a lot as there is that option at the forum and that way people who need the support can get it if their posts don't get buried too quickly. All the best to you my dear and again my deepest sympathy!
S.
Quote 0 0
mummy
Sampson's owner: I really appreciate your comments, they are welcome even now because the pain is just as raw.
Unfortunately the smell of the fur fades at an alarming rate unless you are prepared to seal it away permanently which sort of defeats the purpose as the smell gives a tiny bit of the beloved's presence.
Well done for volonteering to walk a dog - I signed up with an organization that volonteers to walk dogs of elderly or terminally ill people but unfortunately I have had no 'assignments yet'. Thank you again.
Quote 0 0
jeffreyburcham
My sincerest condolences on your loss mummy, just joined today. Yesterday June 1, 2017 I had to let my baby girl Satin Marie go. I have a blanket she slept on and it still has her scent on it but not nearly as strong as I would like. I slept with it last night and since I still have three boys, I don't want them on it. Eventually though, that scent will fade as well.  I am beating myself up knowing I should have gotten her into her doctor last week when I noticed she was getting worse. She had chemo/radiation starting in February and finished up May 8, 2017. They told me, verbally and in writing of course, to keep an eye on her and for certain signs. It just all happened so fast. I am having a really hard time dealing with the loss of my baby girl and am hoping being here will help me through this terrible time. I've had to say goodbye to three other furbabies so I'm not new to this pain but this time, it's different.

Satin 5312017.jpg 
Quote 0 0
mummy
Jeffrey, thank you and gosh, you must be heartbroken on losing your adorable Satin Marie with her beautiful soulful eyes.
I know exactly how you feel about wondering whether it would have been better to act sooner but it sounds in your case as if it happened so quickly that it could not possibly have been your fault.
I too went through cancer and chemo with my boy and in my opinion the vets messed up (I told the story in this thread https://forums.rainbowsbridge.com/post/the-best-thing-i-ever-had-django-8498611?pid=1295616236 ).
Cling to your boys and perhaps put Satin's blanket in one of those zip up bags for winter storage - I think fabric holds scent for a long time.
For me too it's 'different' this time.

Quote 0 0
jeffreyburcham
The pain is still here, sometimes as strong as the day I had to end her suffering. I'm getting past the guilt and the would've, should've, could've torment but some questions still linger. Knowing I am not alone and being here helps. Seeing all this loss kills me but seeing all the love everyone has for their kids shows me there is still hope for humanity. It will never be the same, just as in five minutes ago when I let the boys outside. No Satin Marie going out the door. I have almost completed her burial area, which is next to our other three furbabies final resting places. I will share the pics I am going to have my wife take once I am finished. I cannot thank everyone here enough or their kind words and support. I know I am not the only one to lose a four legged kid and this is not the first time. Being here helps and is the best therapy any of us could give to ourselves.
Quote 0 0