Forum

Author   Comment  
Mariabba

Reply with quote  #1 

My 14 year old girl Ozzy was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and given medication. During her next check up she hadn't gained any weight and was still having diahreah. Ozzy's vet gave her an ultrasound and found a lesion on her colon causing narrowing of the colon. Without surgery he cannot tell if it is malignant. He seems adverse to doing the surgery given her age and thyroid diagnosis.

I asked how long she may live with the lesion and he couldn't say. It could be months. It could be longer (or shorter).

My husband picked out baby Oz before we were married. To me, Ozzy is a snapshot of our marriage. Everything we've been through, she's been right there by our side.

Right now Ozzy is very energetic. Her eyes are clear and bright. She is still "good old Oz" inside. Looking at her you would never know that the end is near. Which makes this really hard.

I'm trying to appreciate the time I have left with her, and am treating her like a queen. How can I prepare her and myself for what I know is coming? 

Ozzy is a very nervous cat. I need to know that she will be OK when she crosses the rainbow bridge. I need to know that she will not be afraid, but will feel welcomed and loved and that she will not forget about my husband and I. That we will be together again.

Mariabba

Reply with quote  #2 
We are so sad. Ozzy is hanging in there, but not looking good. I'm debating if I should take her to the vet and help her cross the rainbow bridge. Such a hard decision.
Spookysmon

Reply with quote  #3 
I'm so sorry to hear about Ozzy.  I too just found out that my cat Katrinka has cancer and only has months to live. 

You would never know Katrinka has cancer either.  She is happy and feeling the best she has ever felt.  But the cancer is
under her tongue and it will only be a matter of time before she can't eat.  I know how it feels to lose your baby, I lost my
Spooky after 17 years, two years ago and it still hurts.  It's a void you can't fill but you somehow get through the days. 

My heart goes out to you and your husband.  I will keep all of you in my prayers.

Spooky and Katrinka's Mom

Kitty
Mariabba

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you Kitty. I'm praying to St. Francis for your fur-baby too.  Sometimes they hid their pain so well that it's hard for us to tell. Poor babies. :(
angyal

Reply with quote  #5 
My cat was diagnosed with bladder cancer and only lived for about a month after she started showing signs of symptoms. She looked and acted just fine. That was the hard part. How could she be so sick if she was still my same baby girl? Same energy, same personality... nothing was different. I took her on walks whenever she wanted and spent as much time with her as possible. I'm glad I did because she went down hill SO fast. Between the vet visits and the morphine & SQ fluids I hated knowing I would be responsible for when she needed to leave. I asked her to tell me because I couldn't just put her down when she was acting just fine. The vet counseled me via phone on which signs meant it was time for my cat to pass on. Personality change, no eating, hiding... the last evening I was so exhausted and a friend came over to take her outside as I was cleaning up my apartment (bloody urine is not a pretty thing). By the time they came back in I was crying from exhaustion. I passed out and in the middle of the night she started throwing up and I stayed up with her until she felt a little better. That morning everything was different. She wouldn't eat and she wouldn't even look at me. She just hid under my cupboard and stared at the wall. I went out to my car and completely lost it. I didn't want her to see me so upset. I made the appointment and a friend drove us to the vet. As we were in the car we went so slow so she could smell outside and enjoy the sun shining down on her. She always loved car rides. I wished I could tell her what was going on and that we were going to end her pain. She tried to hide it so well. When we got to the vet she just laid down under the desk and looked at me saying "I'm ready". God that was painful. I hated the fact that she was in pain and she hid it so well. I hate that she got sick. She was absolutely fine and then BAM. She wasn't. I miss her constantly. The house is so empty. I feel so guilty for being so exhausted that last night. She was most likely up the whole time in pain. And I just couldn't keep going. Thank God I asked my friend to come and let her outside one more time. I love her so much and miss her beyond reason.  I love you, Yukaunna.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.