Meekey_mom1
Meekey, a Papillon/Japanese Chin mix, at only 3 years and 10 months old...had a rough start to life.  Due to a false health certificate, she survived adult hookworms AND parvo at 9 weeks old, 1 week after we adopted her.  She was a miracle!; and I do not regret a single moment we had together, it is and always will be cherished forever.  Being so close to death at that age, I think made her perfect, not just for my heart, but for helping care for the broken hearts in my office as a therapy assistant in private practice mental health.  

Meekey seemed to suddenly develop weakness which was later found to be Pure Red Blood Cell Anemia (PRCA).  Bone marrow test found it was "aplastic" and non-regenerative. Then she got a pulmonary embolism...she became transfusion AND oxygen chamber dependent...I was undone!  I heard what the UF vets said, but I didn't process it.  I told her vet to go ahead & give her the experimental treatment dose that morning...In total denial while deep down I knew I had to let her go that afternoon...I almost escaped with her from the office after she received the tranquilizer shot, but she couldn't breathe outside of the oxygen chamber and that would have been very selfish of me.  I lost her 5 days ago and I am undone! I do grief therapy for loss of loved ones, human or pet, but have been sheltered myself.  I teach that the suffering and pain means one can truly feel, everything, including joy, again one day. I never thought I would be here this soon.  I do not want to know why...I just want to know where she needed to be in such a hurry.

Beth Maharaj
Quote 0 0
MyBella
Hi Beth, I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Meekey, what an absolutely adorable photo of her. I can see how she mended broken hearts, I bet she was a huge help and a big hit with your patients. I have my 3 lb. Chihuahua, Bella to thank for literally saving me, she, like your Meekey, was so instrumental in helping me in recovering from a brain injury, I will never forget how Bella helped me in so many ways, but I always wonder if she even knew that she did save me.
I hope in time, your fond memories of Meekey help ease your pain, I know how hard it is to lose such a wonderful, dedicated little girl, I am so,so sorry for your loss.

Sending positive healing thoughts your way.

Sincerely, Don & Vera
Quote 0 0
Meekey_mom1
Don & Vera, Thank you for your kind words, I found them comforting.  She was a huge hit at the office.  She gave health "check-ups" with each patient by smelling their breath, usually 8 a day (and she was never wrong).  She gave the sad & hurt "pet therapy" by letting them pet her while they talked with me.  She even had "favorites" in the waiting room, others, not even my patients.  Meekey was so loving and pure of spirit.  I thought I needed to take care of her (my empty nest baby) but have since learned she was taking care of me.  She taught me to truly be present, look around outside, smell the air and stretch!  I will always love and appreciate her as you do Bella.  Best, Beth
Beth Maharaj
Quote 0 0
ebbsmom
I am so sorry for the loss of your Meekey!!!  I lot an 8 year old to severe anemia about 5 weeks ago - it came on overnight and she only made it 2 more days.  3 blood transfusions didn't help and she was vomiting a lot and having trouble breathing.  I miss her SO much and still have trouble reconciling to the fact that it was not my fault and there was nothing I could do.  Read Ebby's story if you want to....but I do sympathize - and feel cheated that she left me so soon!  THis is a great forum for those mourning our furry (or feathery) family members.  I hope you find it helpful.  You are in my thoughts.
Love you to the moon and back....
Quote 0 0
Meekey_mom1
Thank you, Ebbsmom.  I am so sorry for your loss, and so fast!  I did read Ebby's Story and love how you told it.  After 2 transfusions and a bone marrow test, I did get 4 more glorious days with Meekey because the transfusions temporarily invigorated her, until she got the lung clots.  All diagnoses were explored and the cause is still unknown.  I know it was not cancer, not immune mediated (that is why the transfusions helped) and not toxins...I only have the theory that the PARVO must have stayed harbored in her bone marrow slowly destroying her ability to make red blood...Her health improvement after UF hospital did give me false hope tho i do not regret the extra time.  I had a family friend tell me to leave her up at UF & let them put her down but i desperately wanted to be with her as long as possible.  Not sure what was best for her.  This is so hard to deal with.  She was my first "dog love" and I was all in.  We have no other pets & my husband says I can only have a stuffed dog now because of all my tears...I hope he is joking because I plan to fully complete my grief and start looking for my next great love!
Beth Maharaj
Quote 0 0