Beesmom123
Thought I would share this poem

Lend Me A Kitten

I will lend to you for a while a kitten, God said.
For you to love while he lives, and mourn when he's dead.
Maybe for twelve or fourteen years, or maybe for two or three.
But will you, 'till I call him back, take care of him for me?
He'll bring his charms to gladden you and should his stay be brief
You'll always have his memories as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise he will stay, since all from earth return.
But there are lessons taught below I want this kitten to learn.

I've looked the whole world over in search of teachers true.
And from the folk that crowds life's land I have chosen you.
Now will you give him all your love, nor think the labor vain?
Nor hate me when I come to take my kitten home again?

My heart replied, " My Lord, Thy will be done "
For all the joys this kitten brings the risk of grief I'll run.
We'll shelter him with tenderness; we'll love him while we may.
And for the happiness we've known, forever grateful stay.
But should you call him back much sooner then we planned.
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes, and try to understand.
If, by our love we've managed your wishes to achieve.
Then in memory of him, who we loved, please help us while we grieve.
When our cherished kitten departs this world of strife,
Please send us yet another needing soul for us to love all his life.

-Unknown

Bee- "Good night sweet prince & flights of angels see thee to thy rest"
Quote 0 0
ahartofilis
Beesmom, thank-you for that poem. It is very sweet and touching. Our pets surely are a gift to us from God. I also have 2 cats, Siamese brothers. They have been like 2 little comforters to me. Since loosing Coco I really appreciate  them in my life right now. This poem reminds me to treasure each and every day that I have with them........Sincerely, Andrea.
Quote 0 0
animal_qwackers
Beesmom,

I have seen this poem before, and reading it again has made me cry. It is such a wonderful poem, so poignant. Happy, yet sad, but beautiful, soulfully beautiful.

Thank you so much for posting. 

Wendy

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Jack Lemmon

Solly, Gonzo, Daisy-Mae, Ebony, Jerry, Tigger, Bonnie, Suzy, Cleo, Spike, Sooty, and Tibby – dazzling lights that will never fade. Adored, cherished, I was privileged to know you all. Until we meet again, my beautiful babies. Bowls of love and cuddles, your ever-loving, devoted Mummy xxxxxxxxxx

Quote 0 0
Beesmom123
Andrea & Wendy
I agree it is very touching and I thought it might help to share.
I came across it shortly after I lost my beloved Byron , and it helped some to remind me that we only can have them for a relatively short time
15-20 years for a cat if we are very lucky...
I think I had convinced myself that with all my love and caring , B would beat the odds and be one for the record books as far as long life. This made his passing much harder for me to accept( and I still have episodes where I rail against fate and the unfairness of it all)

I too have two other cats , 12.5 and nearly 16 years who I love dearly , while I don't have an incredible bond with them like I had with my B , I am taking solace in them and doing all I can to make their senior years as happy as possible. They loved B too, and I'm sure they miss him, our lives really did revolve around B , , he was so unbelievably special. I know everyone on this site feels the same about those they are grieving

I now truly realize that our time with our babies is finite and in the space of a week or even a day , things can suddenly change so dramatically and then it is too late for one more hug or indulgence or a few more minutes of play

Hope you both have the best day possible. To those with animals that are very senior or with illness , enjoy and cherish every minute you have with them now.

Take care

Quote 0 0
myfurbabies
That poem brought tears to me - my last little kitten was just about 3 days old - I only had her a day & a half when  she died. I had bonded with her as I was feeding her every 2 hours & I am still so sad. My neighbor found her & brought her to me Christmas day - she was a Christmas present I had to return the next day. We just never know how long we will have our fur babies. It is never long enough.
Barbara White
Quote 0 0
Beesmom123
Barbara
I am so sorry for the loss of your kitten. So young and with so much promise
You gave her love and she knew she was cared for, in her short life, that is a great gift
I agree no matter how long we have them it is never long enough, I had my Byron from eight weeks old until he just turned 16 and I still thought of him as my sweet kitten, the time went by in the blink of an eye

Quote 0 0
Julia_Loves_McCartney
Thank you so much for posting this. My cat McCartney passed last July at the young age of six. So this poem very much applied to the situation and it helps make me feel a little better. Even the last line applies for me: "Please send us yet another needing soul for us to love all his life." Because two weeks after McCartney died, my mom rescued a one month old gray and white kitten from the middle of a dangerous intersection. I kept him, and named him Desmond. I cried a little when I first saw him, probably because I was emotional after McCartney's death.

I believe that God wanted me to save his life, in the same way that McCartney's life was saved when he was a kitten (from the middle of the road). I think God also wanted to cheer me up, and wanted me to be happy that me and my family saved another life. Desmond will never replace McCartney, but he has helped me greatly. Perhaps it is a sign from God that McCartney is ok, and in Heaven. I hope all the time that God is trying to tell me something by doing all of this.

~I love you eternally, McCartney boy~

You can visit my kitty McCartney's Rainbow Bridge Memorial here: http://www.rainbowbridge.com/residents/MCCAR001/Resident.htm

Quote 0 0
Beesmom123
Julia
I'm glad it gave you some measure of comfort, I am very sorry for your loss of McCartney. I viewed your memorial for him, he is adorable and it's obvious why you loved each other so!
I'm glad you have Desmond to support you during this difficult time, you are honoring your beloved McCartney by helping this little fellow!
Sometimes life does have a plan for us that we may not understand at the time

I am still trying to figure things out, one day at a time.

Best wishes to you and your new pal :)

Diana
Quote 0 0
Julia_Loves_McCartney
Diana, thank you, I'm sorry for your loss as well. And thank you for viewing his memorial, it means a lot to me.
Best wishes to you too.

~I love you eternally, McCartney boy~

You can visit my kitty McCartney's Rainbow Bridge Memorial here: http://www.rainbowbridge.com/residents/MCCAR001/Resident.htm

Quote 0 0
redcoffe
it means a lot to me.Best wishes to you too. 

Leelachan
This poem is perfect. Despite my tears, it made me feel so much better. Thank you.
Quote 0 0
Beesmom123
I'm so glad it helped
I came across it a few weeks after I lost B and while it made me cry too , it did help me feel a little better by reminding me of the positive impact we can have and that our feline ( and other species too of course) are ' on loan' and not our possessions
I am eternally grateful for the time I had, just wish as everyone here does that it could have been much longer

Peace :)

Quote 0 0
GrouchyGirl
Beautiful poem, thank you for sharing it with us.  ((hugs))

[9553d203-1a14-479e-adf1-0f8959921bed] 
Emma and her girl...best friends forever!
Quote 0 0
Beesmom123
You're very welcome I hope you and your daughter are doing well, I know how much you miss your dear Emma

Take care
Quote 0 0