Forum

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
DixiesMom

Reply with quote  #1 

I let Dixie go on Sunday, July 25th.  She was still fighting to survive and still knew what was going on.  She would not eat for 5 days, was having seizures, and stopping breathing.  Her trusted doctor said it was time.  She had been seriously ill since early May.  I just feel that I let her down.  She was still ready to fight for her life and I gave up.  Will I ever be able to forgive myself?  Would she forgive me?  I loved her so.  My heart is breaking and I ache to hold her.

nicokudo

Reply with quote  #2 
Dixie's mom,

I'm so sorry about your having to make that choice for your precious girl.  From what you have said, she was really struggling.  How old was your baby?
They know how much we love them; she forgives you. 

I'm assuming that it was something really serious if she was having seizures and had stopped breathing.

Thinking of you and your precious girl.

Karen

DixiesMom

Reply with quote  #3 

Thank you, Karen.  It hurts so bad.  We are unsure how old.  Our precious baby was a rescue - hers is a long story.  We only had 4 short years and 5 months with her.  http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/DIXIE063/Resident.htm

fireandice13

Reply with quote  #4 
I've been struggling with a lot of the same feelings.  I had to allow the vet to euthanize my baby after she stopped eating, was weak to the point she couldn't hold up her head after being given IV fluids for several hours.  She was twitching horribly.  Her kidneys were in complete shut down.  And I still feel horrible about making that decision
wolfshadoww

Reply with quote  #5 
I believe they forgive you. They are thankful that you helped stop their pain.

You were very loved and will always, always be missed.
nicokudo

Reply with quote  #6 
Dixie's mom,

I went to Dixie's residency.  What a beautiful love story after you found her! I suspect one day when you see her again she will bless you for the choice you made to free her from her aging body.  I know how difficult these days are and my heart goes out to you.

Karen

donnalee

Reply with quote  #7 
DixiesMom, I also went to her residency and read Dixie's beautiful story.  Bless you and your family for giving this darling Dixie a wonderful life after such a horrible beginning.  To think that could have been her end, but your family rescued her and she had the opportunity to experience true love from you and your family.  She was able to be spoiled the way she deserved!  It just boggles my mind that someone could treat another living being that way.  I'm sure she knew how lucky she was to become a member of your family!   Dixie was surely a special baby. 
There is no doubt in my mind that Dixie lives on and is in a happy place now.  It really doesn't sound as if you had a choice, her health problems were severe.  It was truly a kind, caring decision you made out of love.  We all know how bad it hurts and the terrible pain  you are going through now.  I wish there was something to say to take that away but there just isn't.  You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.   You WILL hold her again someday. 
DixiesMom

Reply with quote  #8 
I am so thanking God for all your responses today.  It has been such a rough day, that you have helped me survive.  It puzzles me so, that people that never held Dixie, or never met me would take the time out of their lives to comfort me.  I see all of you as angels on earth.  You are inspiring me to try to reach out to others the way that you have done for me.  Donnalee, I visited your thread about your sign.  I will eagerly watch closely for Dixie to let me know that she is safe and forgives me.  I sincerely pray that each of you that have reached out to me will be richly blessed.  I hope that I continue to hear from you.  Honestly, you are what is allowing me to put one foot in front of the other.

Sharon "Dixie's Mom"

***Precious, Dixie, Mommy is sending her hugs to you.
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/DIXIE063/Resident.htm

dde9227782

Reply with quote  #9 

dixie I just read your resident's page for you dog and I'm hysterical.  August 9th will be 2 months that my baby is gone.  I feel so guilty and I hope that she is happy and can forgive us.  She was a fighter but we could see how uncomfortable she was.  I have been debating on whether to speak to a psychic or pet communicator.  I am curious to see if Precious is looking down on us and if she is happy.  I don't know whether it's a good idea. I have finally accepted her loss but I have been thinking about her so much lately.  I guess I wish she would give me a sign to show that she is in a better place and understands why we let her go.  She just turned 12 years old when we put her down.  Has anyone in here ever communicated with their pets through psychics?

reovi

Reply with quote  #10 
Dixie's Mom, I don't think you ever did anything wrong in Dixie's eyes for which she would have to forgive you.  Dogs are super special, loving and loyal, yet still independent and smart creatures honed from years of being in the wild.  I think this is what makes them want to fight to survive, until the end.  I have never heard of a dog that didn't fight well beyond what their bodies probably should have supported.  I firmly believe Dixie knew you were helping her and alleviating her pain and stress.  And don't think for one second that you gave up, you made the right decision for your baby keeping her best interest in mind-you knew her quality of life was poor and that she was in pain, keeping her in that state was not the right answer-you did the right thing, as much as it hurts you to let her go.  Forgiving yourself may take time-I have yet to forgive myself after 3 months so I can't help you there.  But one great thing about dogs, even if you believe Dixie blames you, they forgive and don't hold grudges.  Remember that when you try to heal.  I wish you peace and sweet dreams.

Polar's Mom
tikibarb

Reply with quote  #11 
I visited Dixie's page today.  It is a wonderful tribute to a wonderful friend.  It is truly amazing how rescues return the love they are given.  I hope you find some peace on this website.  It has helped me a great deal.
Susie_Squillions

Reply with quote  #12 
Dear Dixie's Mom,

Bless your heart. You did not give up at all.  You helped Dixie let go.  She was fighting on your behalf.  She was trying so hard to stay so that you wouldn't hurt, but we all know that the sad fact was that you were going to hurt sooner or later.  By letting her go, you released her from suffering and spending more time fighting than she had the strength for.  You set her free to soar among the angels, young and healthy for eternity, knowing your own suffering would begin.

It's a very rare thing when we don't ask questions like yours.  It's all a guessing game, and when we miss someone so terribly, it's absolutely natural to wonder if there was something more we could have done to have had them with us longer.  When I first came here in 2004, it was because my little Buddy Guy had just had a surgery that was our only chance of saving him.  He came through the procedure beautifully, but didn't survive the night.  In my case the question I asked was "Did I put him through too much?" 

At that time there was someone posting regularly who said something I will never forget.  He said, "I would rather assist her a week too soon than a moment too late."  he said it would have destroyed him to think that he allowed his girl to suffer for an instant on his behalf.

Please come back and tell us all about life with Dixie.  Recalling the entirety of their lives with us helps us to remember the early days and the best of times on every level.  I look forward to reading all about Dixie and the things that made her such a special part of your life.

You and Angel Dixie are in my thoughts and prayers.

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
jen2010

Reply with quote  #13 
Dixie's Mom

l absolutely understand what you are going through and my heart goes out to you. l lost my sweet Bubby Friday the 23rd of July .Like yourself l was  obsessed with guilt so much so l could not function.
What l am trying to come to realise it takes alot of love to put someone out of their pain and misery then to keep them alive because you want them there.
But you didnt think or yourself you did what was right for your beloved Dixie , it was done out of love
Believe me when l say this you have nothing to feel guilty about your beloved Dixie was lucky to have such a wonderful person in her life.

Reply with quote  #14 
Dixie's Mom,

I cried when I read Dixie's story. I will never understand how any human being can mistreat and abuse animals. They, like children and the elderly, are so helpless. It just breaks my heart. You have done nothing wrong.....you did what was right and humane. Read this.....

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown

When Poncho was in the hospital Christmas morning, I saw this framed on the wall.  He died in my arms February 12, 2010.  Here come the tears again!  You, your family and Dixie are in my thoughts and prayer.

Mia870

Reply with quote  #15 

I too read her story and tears are rolling down my face. You were an amazing Mum to her and you did the right thing. Bless you xx

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.