78674463_Lucy

Please pray for me. My husband and I adopted/rescued a 6 ½ year old kitty named Missy in July and we have to put her to sleep due to liver disease. In June I put the love of my life, my soulmate, Sunshine to sleep due to cancer, she was only 11. So we decided to get another one right away.  We even gave her a new name, Miss Izzy; she didn’t look like a Missy. She is a beautiful Tortie, with big yellow eyes, the sweetest meow and white whiskers on one side and black on the other. She has been so perfect. She used to live with a couple in their 80’s, 2 Yorkie's and another cat. The Rescue told us she hid all the time. So we feel we gave her a wonderful life these past 3 months. She is such a treat. She never got into anything, she ate well and used the litter box without any problems.

However, we had some problems with her shortly after we got her; ear problems and then a urinary tract infection. She must have had these underlying problems before we got her. The Rescue is very reputable and had all the tests done, etc. before they put her up for adoption. But we did the best we could, loving wise and monetarily. It would be very costly to treat the disease and the Vet said she would be in a lot of pain to keep her alive.

Sunshine’s death created a lot of health problems for me that I am still getting over. I went to psychotherapy right away after she died.  So I cannot let loosing Miss Izzy  be traumatic for me.

What I need from anyone out there is to let me know that it is okay. I need to know that it’s not my fault she got sick. I know for sure I need to put her to sleep. I don’t believe in letting animals suffer.

I have a strong faith in God and know He never gives me anything I cannot handle and by going through this there is a new plan ahead. I need to not focus on Miss Izzy, but focus on God and be at peace and move onto a new place.

We will adopt again, not sure when, but soon.

Thank you for listening. I just got the news and always feel better when I am on this site.

Lucy  

Lucy D. Blascovich
Quote 0 0
Sampson
Hello Lucy, So you lost Sunshine due to cancer in June which had to be terribly painful and now Miss Izzy has liver disease. Has the vet said that it is at a stage where nothing can be done? Would it be helpful to get a second opinion. I admire you for not allowing your pets to suffer. I'm wondering though if it might help you to have a second opinion. If the consensus is that she will not survive and will be suffering then it really is out of your hands my dear. I am so sorry this happened so soon after your loss of Sunshine! My condolences on your loss and possibly for sweet Miss Izzy as well. Please post an update on Miss Izzy. Meanwhile enjoy every moment with her. None of us knows when the bell will toll for us so we make the most of each minute. Pack lots of fun into your time with this yellow eyed beauty! All the best,
S.
Quote 0 0
78674463_Lucy
Hi S,
Thank you so much for your caring response. The Vet said she is 100 % sure Miss Izzy has liver disease. She confirmed this by showing me how the area behind her eyes have turned yellow. Also, the entire inside of her ears have turned yellow. It's kinda weird to see this. The vet gave me 3 choices: to run a lot of tests and treat her which would be very costly and she would endure a lot of pain and die in a very short time; put her to sleep, or check with the Rescue to see if they want to take her back. We took her home and called the Rescue and their advise was the same. She encouraged me to put her to sleep. My husband and I agreed. 

Just since yesterday I can tell she has become a little weaker. She didn't even follow me out of the bedroom this morning for me to feed her. When she did come out, she ate (drank) as little as yesterday. I also discussed this with my sister; of whom I am very close to, and she agreed with our decision. She has also endured putting her 2 cats to sleep within the past 2 years. I have  a dear friend who is 92 and full of wisdom, she also agreed. I will call the Vet today to make an appointment for Monday. I prayed last night that maybe the Lord will take her home so I won't have to help the situation along. 

Thank you for your suggestion for a second opinion, your concern warms my heart.
Lucy
Lucy D. Blascovich
Quote 0 0
phillypretzel
Lucy,
I feel your anguish and believe there is no need to second or third guess yourself.  Your little angel has given you the sign that it's time to go.  The fact that she has liver disease must be painful and the best and most loving thing you can do is take her out of misery.  

May you stay strong through this most difficult time.  I am sending you good wishes and energy.

Carol H.
Quote 0 0
MonaGirl
Pray to God to show you when it's time, or you'll always regret it.
Quote 0 0
MonaGirl
I almost put my sweet kitty down when she was very ill but prayed on it, at the vet office and changed my mind, brought her home, she got well and was with me for three wonderful weeks before passing away at home.
Quote 0 0
ddp
Lucy
Missy may not have been with you long , but like I always say with each and every rescue animal that I take in, " I will make the rest of your life, the best of your life." In my experience the one puppy that I raised lived almost 5 years beyond his life expectancy. I got him at 10 weeks and provided the best food, preventative health care his entire life. Every year after 9 the vet was just amazed. He lived a wonderful 14 years. I grieved for many things when he died? I rescued a 6 year old chihuahua who developed liver disease and was with me for 6 short but wonderful Years. I made the decision to put him to sleep when his suffering became to great and he could no longer enjoy the things that he loved. I don't think I had wrapped my brain around the fact that he was already 6 when I got him. In my mind I thought that a smal 6 lb dog would live so much longer ( I had only had large dogs). I was devastated. Although I made peace with it the effects still linger. I had to change vets, couldn't stand to go into the office. Even today, 4 years later I cry every time I even drive by that clinic. Making the decision to put an animal to sleep when you no that they are suffering, when you know it will only get worse really is an an to of unselfish courage.

Each and every time I go thru the heartbreak of losing a furry baby I always tell myself that I will never subject myself to that physical suffering again. I have lost 3 babies over the years the most resent my big boy Max almost 2 months ago ( it was sudden and unexpected) He was a rescue, had never been sick a day in his life...we were together 10 years and he was 12 yrs old. I miss him everyday. But people like us have such a huge capacity to love and the resources to accept, love and provide for these little creatures one by one who would otherwise be abandoned and never experience the love and devotion that every living creature deserves.

I will be picking up a new rescue dog on Nov 17. He is a 5 lb Shin Tzu that is 6 years old. With special needs. He suffered some kind of trauma and has some emotional issues and also has seizures that are under control with medication. The rescue center was concerned that I would not want him with seizures. I met this dog 3 days after Max died, this little dog, scared of people crawled into my lap. Why would I not want him? I am committed to this little fellow and I haven't even picked him up yet, I am committed to doing whatever it takes to make the rest of his life the best of his life. I am going in with my eyes wide open this time, knowing full well that he is already 6 years old and that he will not live forever, and at some point I will be grieving for him or he for me. It is just so worth it.

You are doing the right thing, my you be richly blessed and rewarded and may God cover your heart has you grieve for Missy.

Denise

DDP
Quote 0 0
scrappykelly
Oh my god ddp/Denise!!!
I'm 4 days after my little baby boy was laid to rest and each day it is so hard to continue with "normal life", everything that should come so easy is just a constant struggle without my sweet sweet baby with me but you have managed to make me smile and have hope for love again!! I'm not saying I am able or physically want to get another dog but you have planted the seed in my head that yes I miss him more than anything (more than I would some humans around me if I tell the truth) and nothing nor no1 could ever replace him but I can contemplate sharing my love with other dogs in need, dogs who have no1 to experience love with! My baby loved other dogs and I think he would be proud of me if I did. Even a volunteer in a shelter to start and help those poor defenceless babies feel love!!!!
Thank you Denise, through all your pain and suffering you still want to help again x
Taily
Quote 0 0
Buzz
I feel your sorrow and confusion about Miss Izzy....fatty liver disease is very common in felines and generally always fatal....You made a heart wrenching choice but the right one...I have lost two in two years from this deadly disease both were litter mate rescues...First my beloved Tweedy now his big brother Scooter who is 11.....maybe in the upcoming years vetrinary medicine will discover a cure for this awful feline disease....Meanwhile grieving is a part of healing I thank you for opening your heart and i'm sure Miss Izzy knew that.....I wish you peace
Quote 0 0
Trajan50
Buzz wrote:
I feel your sorrow and confusion about Miss Izzy....fatty liver disease is very common in felines and generally always fatal....You made a heart wrenching choice but the right one...I have lost two in two years from this deadly disease both were litter mate rescues...First my beloved Tweedy now his big brother Scooter who is 11.....maybe in the upcoming years vetrinary medicine will discover a cure for this awful feline disease....Meanwhile grieving is a part of healing I thank you for opening your heart and i'm sure Miss Izzy knew that.....I wish you peace

I have stage three fatty liver disease but seem to be managing things ok...I take metformin and quit drinking over a year ago.

It hurts to hear about animals having illnesses.  When it comes time, however, I will let go of my two pals and liberate new friends from the shelter.

Be good now.
Quote 0 0
78674463_Lucy

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight. ~Khalil Gibran

From the bottom of my heart I thank all of you for your kind support.

I put Miss Izzy to sleep on Tuesday, 11-1. I think she knew that morning by the way she acted; she even went right into the carrier. Usually it’s a nightmare trying to get her in. It went very well; the Vet’s office was very compassionate. We buried her in the yard. I put flower bulbs and perennials all around so in the spring she will be surrounded by a magnificent garden!

I am at peace. I feel we gave her the best 4 months of her 6 years of life. As I mentioned prior, she came from a home with 2 dogs and a cat and she hid all the time. We surmise if she hid all the time the owners, who were in the mid 80’s with walkers, etc ,  may never have known she was sick. The Lord sent her to us so she would not have to suffer, nor die alone. We have been truly blessed to have Miss Izzy be a major love in our lives. She was so happy and peaceful in our home. It took her a little while. And the 3 of us were really getting to know each other. It has been so bittersweet.

I miss her very much but I picture her in heaven with my 5 other cats that have gone before her and I feel better.

Lucy

Pets are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." ~ Roger Caras

Lucy D. Blascovich
Quote 0 0
nordi57
Hello my friend, I am praying for you,I know that now you need strength from above.If it wasn't for my faith in God I don't know where I would be right now after the loss of my beautiful angel Olie. The Lord is watching over you and will lift you up and sustain you. May God Bless you Lucy & you will be in my prayers......Nora
Quote 0 0
78674463_Lucy
Thank you Nora for reminding me that the Lord is watching over me. Sometimes I get overwhelmed and forget. 

I am sorry about your sweet angel Olie. Our faith will continue to carry us through. 

Lucy
Lucy D. Blascovich
Quote 0 0
Cloe23
I'm so sorry for both your tremendous losses. I have no doubt that the health issues Miss Izzy experienced were rooted long before she found your loving home. I hope you can find peace in knowing the too rare quality of love, joy, and kindness you've given her in abundance by bringing her into your family. I lost my girl Wednesday night, I hope they're playing together somewhere beautiful. You'll be in my prayers.
Quote 0 0
78674463_Lucy
Thank you for your kind words and support for thinking Miss Izzy came to us with her health issues. 

My thoughts and prayers are with you for the loss of your sweet girl. Tell me more about her. I'll pass the info onto Miss Izzy and Sunshine so they'll look for her!

Lucy
Lucy D. Blascovich
Quote 0 0