My 17 year old son is away on a school trip. He left Saturday , he won't be home until next Wednesday .
His dog our 13 year old collie is in kidney failure.

She has been drinking a lot of water for a few months now. She was tested and had small amounts of protein in her urine but other than that just fine.

This past Monday evening she took a turn for the worse . Barely eating, not her usual self and unable to get around as she once did. It didn't click until last evening when I smelled her breath what was happening.
She is eating a little, still drinking but unable to get around without help.
I had another dog years ago that the same thing happened but her symptoms were totally different.

I'm so torn. Do I try and keep her around for a week until my son returns? Is that even realistic?
Do I let her go? Will he ever forgive me? We brought her home as a small pup when he was 3 years old and he loves her and she him with all their hearts.

I am calling the vet today. But I want some neutral opinions. When there is so much invested it's hard to make that call.

Thank u for any advice
Quote 0 0
Well I am not sure that my opinion will be neutral. You are certainly in a difficult position. I am assuming that you cannot contact your son via telephone, text or email to let him know what is happening.

At this point the conversation with the vet will be crucial. I know nothing of renal failure in dogs but if she were mine I would want to know if she is suffering, if there are any possible treatments available or if the vet thinks it is time to let her go. I would want to be able to assure your son that you did everything that you could.

The reason why I am perhaps not neutral is because I was faced with the euthanasia question a little over 9 weeks ago. I trusted my vet completely and when she said it was time I knew there was no hope of recovery (a completely different medical issue). As the adult we have to make that awful decision for our pets as they have always relied on us to make decisions for them. As difficult as the last 9 weeks have been I am completely comfortable with our decision to let him go. The hard part is learning to live without him.

Talk with the vet and see what he/she has to say. if I was in your situation I would seek a little more info as mentioned above and then decide.
Quote 0 0
Hi Louise,
I am so sorry that you are going through the heartache of facing the sad goodbye and then also being torn by having to make this decision.  I can only imagine how overwhelmed you are feeling.
I really don't know what the right answer is.  I can totally understand that you want to keep her with you until your son returns so that he can have the opportunity to say goodbye to his faithful friend and I can also understand the feelings of doing what is right for her.
I lost my gorgeous beagle 14 months ago.  She also battled renal failure, so I know what you are going through.  When Bella declined, she did so very, very rapidly, as our vet said she would.  We knew that her kidneys were failing and our vet was monitoring her with regular blood tests, but she literally deteriorated in hours and we decided to end her suffering.  I went to work on Wednesday and she seemed her usual self.  My husband got home from work at 3.30pm and she was fine and he had to go out again.  When I got home at 5pm she was quite obviously unwell.  We sat with her during the night and made the trip to the vet that we knew would be her last.  The vet said that it was time and our whole family stayed with her until the end...I am so glad that we all were able to be there, so I understand your anguish because your son is away.
During the last few weeks Bella was given fluids through a drip.  Has your girl had fluids?  Each time Bella had the fluids she would pick up considerably for a while.  If your dog has not reached the point of having fluids yet, it may help for long enough to allow you to wait until your son comes home.  Is it possible for your son to come home early?  I know this is extreme, but would he rather come home to say goodbye rather than stay on his trip?  As I said, I don't know what is the "right" answer, or even if there is a right answer. 
I hope that your vet can give you an option to keep your girl with you until your son comes home.  I wish you peace with your decision and I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
(Bella, Charli and Buddy's very lucky mum)

My gorgeous girl, Bella  26/07/2004 - 03/04/2014
"You were once by our side, but you will be forever in our hearts. Until we meet again baby girl."
Quote 0 0
I appreciate any words of wisdom from anyone.
Thank you . I have an appt with the vet this afternoon , so I'll get some answers then I assume.

Even though I have support , I just feel so alone.
I wish my son could come home early .
He is with a school trip in Europe which has been planned for 1 1/2,years. He has looked so forward to this trip for so long, I don't want to even hint something might be wrong with his dog.

Though his words haunt me . My husband and I were going to get in the car to take him to the airport . He went in the house one last time and my husband said where are u going and my son said to say good bye to my dog.
He knows her time is coming but I still do not think he meant forever
Quote 0 0
I hope I can help. About 3 years ago my dog was 11 & started having kidney problems. His vet put him on hills prescription diet kidney dog food. He had another wonderful healthy 4 years of life after. It hope this helps u
Quote 0 0
i'm so sorry for what your family is going through
you may want to at least let your son know that his dog is failing. to find out after the fact may be very hard to take. an interrupted trip would be unfortunate but losing a lifetime friend will have a major impact

all I know is what I have experienced having to let my 16 year old cat go over 8 months ago,I had him since he was 8 weeks old,  devastated doesn't even come close ..

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers

Best to you
Bee- "Good night sweet prince & flights of angels see thee to thy rest"
Quote 0 0