ForeverCoffee
It’s almost been a week since I’ve lost my beloved chihuahua Coffee, he was always to hyper and cheerful and then all of a sudden last Sunday he was diagnosed with IVDD and the vet told me that there’s hope for him and that he will heal within a month; he wasn’t the same anymore since that day, 3 days after I brought him back and this time they told me he’s in critical condition and that he needs to get an MRI and surgery right away; I did not have enough money for the MRI but luckily I was able to get enough and on the day that I was going to take him to the animal hospital he unexpectedly passed away; I was so in disbelief and shocked and angry that it happen to him so soon and he didn’t even make it to a week...he was almost going to be 3 years old soon; ever since I had him I took him everywhere with me, we were inseparable, pretty much 24/7; now everything is a constant reminder, everywhere I go, everything I see, the memory of him comes and hurts so much; I feel angry with myself because I feel like I could’ve done more to save him; i have another dog so I’ve been trying to act like everything is normal so he wouldn’t be burden of sadness and loss; this is the first dog I’ve ever lost and I don’t know how to cope with this sadness; I’m now looking into getting a wellness and pet insurance for my dog but I’m having trouble finding the best one for him; please help me out with any advice or suggestions, thank you for your time
Quote 0 0
ksfrick
Forever Coffee:

I can't give you any advice on the pet insurance since I have never had it.  I also don't think I can give you advice on how to mend your broken heart.  I can tell you I get it.  People on this site understand the connection between a pet and their person.  I know I grieve every day for my Bubba and sometimes it is unbearable.  I'm so sorry for you missing your Coffee.  The suddenness must be really hard.  Don't be afraid to show your grief to your other dog - a dog can comfort like no person can and they seem glad to do it.  

Hugs,
Bubba's Mom
Bubba's Mom
Quote 0 0
Millie18
Forever Coffee:

I'm so sorry for the loss of your young Coffee. He sounded like such a great little companion with a big spirit.

I have been using Nationwide Pet Insurance (formerly VPI) for many years now and have been very happy with them. They covered the expenses for my Millie's lymphoma tests and treatments and for her home visit euthanasia as well. I mention that because many plans do not cover cancer treatments. I have friends that use an AKC insurance plan and have been happy with them as well. Your dog does not need to be AKC registered.

Once you feel up to it you'll heave to go through all of the different plans to see what will be the best fit for you. Similar to human health plans. I hope that helps.

https://www.akcpetinsurance.com/

https://www.akcpetinsurance.com/

As Bubba's mom brought up, don't try to shield your other dog. He knows that something is wrong and will want to be with you when you're feeling sad. I'm sure he misses his friend as well and doesn't understand why Coffee is missing. Just be gentle with yourself and find strength here on this site when you can. We have all experienced the heartache and know what you're going through.
Sending peace
Diana

Mom to Millie, Roman, Snoopy & step sister to O'Boy
Quote 0 0
MAlcindor
I am so very sorry for the loss of your precious Coffee. I am all too familiar with the anger and disbelief when they suddenly leave us and everything is a reminder of a happier life when they were around. The first dog I ever had, Max (feels strange to call him a dog since I sincerely felt he was human), this past June 13 and my other dog Bailey died a month later on July 13. The shock, anger and guilt is unbelievable. My heart aches for them every day so I understand how you feel. After Max passed I did purchase pet insurance for Bailey through petsbest.com, but I only had it for 3 weeks before he died so I cannot tell you how good or bad it is. They did reimburse some of the cost from Bailey's hospital stay, but I have been too distraught to even figure out if they paid me what is actually due. I break down every time I have to pull out his medical records.
Everyone on this forum is very understanding and know what you are feeling and going through.
Quote 0 0
ForeverCoffee
Thank you so much for all of your advice and support during this time; it been very difficult for me and for everyone else here, and I hope we can all lean on and learn from each other through these difficult times
Quote 0 0
Merlysmum
I feel so horrible for you. I checked into the Forum again because it will be one year this Monday since I had to euthanize my sweet shih-poo Merlin. I miss him every day and always will. Perhaps Coffee was that one special dog for you, a dog who bonded with you like no other ever has or will. I hate to tell you this but you will never be the same. You will adjust, in time, but you'll never be exactly as you were. It IS a good idea to post your feelings here when you're particularly sad, lost and/or lonely. We all understand the heart-wrenching road you're travelling. It seems so cruel to have such a pure unconditional love only to have to say farewell so soon. They always greet you, so happy to see you.
Please take care of yourself. I know that's easy to say, hard to do. Lean on others. Grieve as much and as long as you must. Don't let anyone tell you how you should feel. I still have all of Merlin's coats, bed, leash and have no plans to get rid of them. You do what you have to do.
Joanne Brigden
Quote 0 0