Almita
Dear all,

as I have writen in my previous post my Little Alma 17 and 10 months had her first seizure in Jun 2018. She had never had a seizure before. The first one she made a littel groan, then went completely stiff whilst on my arm, legs up in the air head tilted all the way back. Then her head came Forward she went limp and her entire Body softened with her head hanging down as it is was hanging on a string.
The second time it happened in the afternoon 2 days later it started with her circling in the garden (she had never sircled before) and I took her inside and again on my arm she had a massive seizure, head tilted all the way back, this time her gums and tongue went blue she had foam on her mouth. When she came to about 30 secs. later her head came Forward she let out 2 Little screams and vomitted into the kitchen sink. Colour came back to her lips and I let her to the floor where she stood staring into a far away Corner.

Please can anybody share their experience it was traumatizing and  I can't make any sense of it. The vet said she has Nystagmus (rolling eyes) she vomitted twice in the night and I just couldn't let this happen to her again. I struggled all throuh this last night with her thinking that I can't let her suffer. I took her to the vet in the morning and had her euthanized I sobbed my way through it all and I cannot come to Terms with my decision.
Please can anybody share their experience /thoughts with a dog that had seizures late in life and the whys and what ifs.... thank you so much I am desperate...
Alma, the light of my life in my darkest hours....you will be missed forever...
Quote 0 0
Sil
Almita,

I am very sorry for your loss of Alma.  My beloved male doggie, Sol, said good bye on July 17, 2017.  Sol was eleven years and two months.  It was in 2016, when Sol suffered his first seizure, I took him to the vet, and he had a complete exam.  This exam revealed other medical conditions..... I felt so guilty, why, didn't I discovered all these before.

Sol was given several prescriptions and one for his seizures.  As his seizure medication was not fully taking effect, Sol did experience, two more seizures.  The vet warned me that, his liver was compromised and also his lungs.

In my heart, I knew, that we had "limited" time together.  However, one is never prepared to "say good bye".  Sol fought to stay by my side, my little one did not want to leave me.....but, here I am, writing about my Sol and missing him so much.  

Your Alma (soul) knows how much you love her, your decision was based on love.  Again, I am truly sorry for your loss.
Quote 0 0
Almita
Thank you Sil for sharing your story.  I am also very sorry for your loss. I kept my calm during her 2 seizures I was too shocked to be agitated I think. When she had the second one 2 days after the first one something inside me told me that this was not good. But I couldn't make sense of it. The second seizure was so strong she had blue gums and tongue. Did your Sol have Nystagmus in her eyes? Did she have seizures from a young age onwards? I think my Alma also had liver issues. Her liver had not been good due to a poisoning when she was young. Before all this happened I was so clear about the fact that I would not put her through extensive testing or treatment at that age no matter what would happen. But now afterwards I blame myself for not having more tests done. She did not like the vet and I did not want for her to have her last days overshadowed by medical experiences. It's absurd because I wanted to save her from harm but at the same time spare her the vet...it just shows that I was not in control of anything because there were too many emotions involved.....I am crushed.... thank you for your answer X

Alma, the light of my life in my darkest hours....you will be missed forever...
Quote 0 0
Dixieschick
I lost my darling Dixie on June 4. I am still mourning and miss her so much. I’m sorry for the loss of your dear Alma. My baby had seizures too. The Vet said it was due to her heart murmur so she was on heart meds. I feel I could have done more in the way of exploring her medical state but knew how distressing a vet visit was. I kept her on heart meds and didn’t do anything else except love her and keep her as comfortable as I could until it was no longer possible. She was 17 1/2. She had a good long life. I gave her the best life I could. I often think, could have, should have, would haves but the one fact remains that I loved her and it was time to let her go. To stop her discomfort and pain. She depended on me to do the right thing at the right time. I did for Dixie as you did too for your Alma. No one knew Alma as well as you. I believe in your heart you intuitively knew it was time. You saved her from pain and suffering. I understand how you feel but rest easy knowing you did the right thing for your beloved girl.
Quote 0 0