Meggiemeg
I went to a wedding out of country and my four-year old precious pit/lab dog had painful internal bleeding for a few hours and died on my friend’s wedding night. I feel horrible and now see signs in retrospect but the mystery is hard. Remembering how he licked my face during yoga, always looked after me, and was especially trusting of what exciting things were coming. I find myself calling his name although he isn’t there. I want to change my job and house just to cope.
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Meagan,

I am so, so sorry to learn of your loss. Welcome to this forum, even under such sad circumstances. There are some very kind, compassionate, wise and even witty folks here who have tremendously helped me to cope with my grief and sorrow. I hope that they can help you too.

There was obviously no way for you to know that your dog was going to pass on while you were out of town. Especially at his young age. It just happens. There are so many examples of young pups passing away, who's stories are shared on this forum. I am so sorry that you had to return home from your trip, especially one that is all about love and happiness to find that your beloved had departed this World.

I'm sure that many of us can relate when you say that you are considering "changing your job and house" just to cope, thereby uprooting yourself to change your scenery. My place of residence where I lived with my boy is empty now. And I have also called him by name a few times I miss him so. To be honest I don't even like walking around my surrounding neighborhood anymore or going to the grocery store(s) as they are reminders of my loss of my cat. His name was "Marmalade" and he was my best friend and amigo.

I hope that someday soon all that shall remain are your most cherished and happiest memories of your beloved. He would want you to be happy by the way that you described him. 

Kind regards,
James
Quote 0 0
MidorisMom
I am going through the same thing right now. I went on a 3 day trip over the 4th, leaving my healthy, big 7 year old Maine Coon cat home, and coming back to find her dead. She was racing around the house as usual the day I left. In my case, the vet just said she wasn't injured or bleeding so must have been heart or something. But I'm just tortured wondering what happened & how long she suffered. In my mind, all that equates is that I left her & she died. Without knowing the cause, I can't know for sure I couldn't have prevented it if I was here. She needed me & I left her. She slept on the pillow next to me every night & barely ever was more than 10 feet away. I have no kids, she was it. I feel like I failed her. Sorry this is more commiserating than saying anything helpful. I'm so sorry for your loss. And I'm so sorry for what your baby had to go through. Why did it have to happen like this while we were gone for both our babies?
And I get the urge to change. I thought about moving to somewhere I don't see her around every corner, but then I won't see her around every corner. I want to stay where she was. I feel her closer here. I can't even wash her pillow yet. Just do what is best for you.
All the best to you in your grief,
Tracy
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Tracy,

I am so saddened and sorry to learn of your loss to. Your cat sure was a rare beauty. Thank you for sharing that wonderful photo and welcome to this forum.

All I can say in your situation is, as you know, the average lifespan for a cat is 2 to 5 years in the wild. They are biologically engineered to only live that long. We humans automatically extend their lives when we adopt them, by providing them with food & water, shelter (from natural predators and the weather etc.), occasional trips to Vet's and medication(s) and giving them love and affection, which helps them with their well-being. But they are designed to only live 2 to 5 years. And genetic factors also come into play. They can inherit unforeseen health issues from their parents.

I can not tell you how many 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and yes 7 year old cats I have read about on the Internet on Grief Forums and message boards like this one, that become very, very ill, often terminally and those who pass away swiftly and unexpectedly. So please take the above into consideration when you think of your lost beloved. 

I had to put my boy down 8 weeks ago tomorrow and after taking him to 5 Vet's, 2 of those being Animal Hospitals, 2 surgeries, X-Ray, Ultrasound, panel work, outsourced blood work and tons of medication he was never properly diagnosed. But he was suffering and in pain.

My sincerest condolences,
James
Quote 0 0
MidorisMom
Thank you for your condolences James. I know pets can die at a younger age, I think you just can't imagine it happening. I had cats live to 13 - 17 so I'm just used to that. I am glad my baby didn't have to go through all yours did. My heart goes out to you both.
Tracy
Quote 0 0
lili_c1010
hi meagan,

i totally understand how u feel. my girl passed 9 days ago while i was away for work for d whole week. she was in the hospital and she passed just few hrs b4 i can arrive at d hospital.  it's truly heartbreaking  that we didn't be with them during that time. hope you're better now. we all know and understand how u feel. this forum can really help us to feel better and find some comfort. 

take care
Li Li  - Cookie's mummy 
Quote 0 0