MissingMyGirl
Aloha,
I found this site last July when I had to make the difficult decision to lay my Cody girl to rest. I have not been able to bring myself to getting another dog, instead I've been pet sitting for friends/friend's of friends since I know how hard it was to find a good sitter.

For a year I've been watching over two bloodhounds when their owners go on vacation. The older one has been in failing health over the last two months. I started watching them Friday, and he was not eating much food and mostly sleeping. I kept the owners updated at least twice a day on his status and intake. By Tuesday he would not stand up. I tried and tried on my own (he was huge) and the owner's friend came by to help. He started getting very mad at us, lunging and bearing his teeth, but he was so weak he couldn't connect.

Three more friends joined to help. We had to muzzle him, put a sheet under him, and have one person direct us out of the house while four of us carried him. We rushed him to the vet where they monitored and examined him. All the while I was in contact with the owners giving updates. He would stay at the vet, likely until they returned.

I went to visit him Tues night, rubbed/petted him, talked to him, and said goodnight. I got a call the next morning from the owner. He didn't make it through the night. I am devastated and feel so terrible about all of this. I did everything I could for him and treated him as if he were my own. While I knew this was coming, and discussed the possibility with the owners before they left, the pain and guilt is unbearable.

Thank you for reading.
Cody's Mom (Christy)
Quote 0 0
Wileykitten
im so sorry u had to go thru this xoxo so sorry he passed... poor boy his parents must have been devastated as well as u... even tho this was not ur own dog, u knew him well and took great care of him when they were away. Its always sad when a pet passes but u did all u could and taking him to the vet was so kind, many people wouldn't. Im glad u went to see him that last time... he passed knowing the love u felt for him and he sounds like he was at peace.

Allow urself to grieve him... and continue to love up the other dog as im sure she is grieving too. Its a huge loss and unwanted change.

Praying for u and the family,
Stacie
Quote 0 0
MissingMyGirl
Thank you for the kind words, Stacie.
Cody's Mom (Christy)
Quote 0 0
fernwitch
I'm sorry you had this experience and feel for your loss.
Quote 0 0