Forum

Author   Comment  
lsnow

Reply with quote  #1 
My sweet Izzy was just diagnosed with papillary squamous cell carcinoma under her right eye and I’m absolutely heart broken. It can be operated on but would take her eye and jaw on the right side. She’s a 6 pound poodle terrier mix and age 4 (we think...we adopted her so she may be older). I’m struggling with the decision to operate or let her enjoy her life without enduring a very hard and extensive surgery that could have a whole host of complications and if they don’t get all of it, it may not heal her. Vet said she’d have 6 months to a year if we don’t do anything. Please help! Anyone had any experience with this or had a dog that had this surgery done?
CK1991

Reply with quote  #2 
I’d suggest having another discussion with your vet. It would help to down questions before the appointments.

1. What will her qualify of life be like without the surgery?
2. What will her quality of life be like if the surgery is successful? Dogs are very adaptable to change and she may be able to live just fine with one eye and part of her jaw missing.
3. Will she also need chemo therapy? That could present a real hardship.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck and please keep posting.
CK
lsnow

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks so much , I appreciate your response!
CK1991

Reply with quote  #4 
You are very welcome! Good luck and please post an update.
BTW: I’m so sorry for this diagnosis. It’s so hard seeing anything wrong with our beloved pets.
Hugs to you!
CK
Kassyz

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi. I just said goodbye to my 13yr old sweet little boy cat, Cody...2 hours ago. He had an oral squamos cell carcinoma. It's an aggressive cancer. I work in the field and still struggled with what I wanted to do. I chose no surgery. But I felt uneasy with the statistics and if more jaw needed to be removed then it would involve a feeding tube. Cats don't do as well as dogs. He survived less than a year after diagnosis. I would talk to your Doctor again and do some research. Second opinions aren't wrong either if you need another input. I will pray for you and know that you are not alone. ♥️
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.