Forum

Author   Comment  
Marge

Reply with quote  #1 

Its been a week since I had to put my dog Snowball to sleep. It was the hardest thing I had to do. He was 13 years old and my best friend. He acted like nothing was wrong with him. He was so glad to see us all the time. To me it looked like he had hemorrhage only, until I called the vet and asked him about it, and he said dogs don't get that. Well RED FLAGS came up and I took him in right away. The doctor said he had "Perianal Circumanal Adenomas" (TUMORS) along with other serious problems. Has anyone ever heard of this disease.

Susie_Squillions

Reply with quote  #2 
Dear Marge,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. 

I did a little checking on line and found this link:

https://www.vetconnect.com.au/5min/data/03220323.htm

It sounds as if you made the kindest decision on Snowball's behalf.  I'm sure the vet wouldn't mind if you contacted him (her?) to ask about the specifics of Snowball's condition.  Having a better understanding about exactly what happened might serve to give you some small measure of peace of mind, and only your vet can provide that.

My heart goes out to you as you struggle to find a place of healing.  We will all be here for you every step along the way.

You and Angel Snowball are in my thoughts and prayers.

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
shmoobear

Reply with quote  #3 
Marge, I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet Snowball. It's heartbreaking. I went through something similar 2 1/2 weeks ago with my Dakota....he had Hemangiosarcoma...which is tumors that burst. We didn't even know he was sick until the day before we had to let him go. The suddeness was horrible....but it really was the best thing for him. I wanted to add to what Susie said

Quote:

I'm sure the vet wouldn't mind if you contacted him (her?) to ask about the specifics of Snowball's condition.  Having a better understanding about exactly what happened might serve to give you some small measure of peace of mind, and only your vet can provide that.

She is totally right about this.....we had to take Dakota to the Emergency Vet, because it was a Sunday and his vet was not open. We lucked out and got an angel of a Doctor who made the entire situation a little more bearable. She sent us a condolence card that we received in the days after it happened....and she was kind enough to include her email address on it. It took me two weeks to be able to email her....but I'm so glad I did. I mainly wanted to thank her for everything she did for us (we were there for hours and hours)....but also I needed her to explain to me one more time what happened. She did that for me....and it meant the world. She told me that with honesty, and without a shade of doubt, Dakota would have gotten much worse rapidly...and we would have seen him suffer, which would have weighed on us more than the grief is now. She told me that she knew how hard it was for us to understand how things had just been fine...and for us to be able to see the things that she could see by examining him. She also said she knew that when they gave him the IV fluids to increase his blood volume (he was bleeding internally into his abdomen and chest), that he perked up....and that made it worse on us.

I was in the room with Dakota when he left on his journey. She was the only other person in there. She told me that she also sensed that Dakota was ready. In her words "his face just melted into a smile when you came into the room....". Her response went on...but it almost feels to private to repeat. But being able to see that moment through her eyes, and hear again that we made the right decision...well, it meant the world. I've re-read her email everyday since she sent it, and it helps me to get myself going for the day.

If you feel like it would help, perhaps you could get the vet's email address and see what he or she says. Again, we lucked out in that she was an extremely caring doctor. We could tell how much it weighed on her that we had to let Dakota go. I don't know that we would have gotten the same response from Dakota's regular vet. I liked him very much...but he was more on the clinical side....where she exhibited both the compassion and the clinical.

Good luck to you, and I wish you peace. It's so hard dealing with the gaping hole that our loved ones leave behind...

NTB

Reply with quote  #4 
Marge,  So sorry for to hear about the loss of Snowball.  Like shmobear's Dakota, my Domino went suddenly under similar circumstances.  The pain and grief and processing all that happened was too much.  After doing some research on the internet and talking with our regular vet, I have some confort that we made the right decision.  Putting him through the pain of surgery and recovery only to gain a little time for us would not have been fair to him.

Keep the good memories freshly in your mind and celebrate the beautiful time you spent together. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.